Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 11:02 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times

Advertisements

It seems impossible -- and it isn't 100 per cent full proof but experts deem it necessary.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:05 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It seems impossible -- and it isn't 100 per cent full proof but experts deem it necessary.
well, now we are in agreement. <shrug>

Old 05-05-2020, 11:19 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, nobody is saying they shouldn't.

How do you find a balance between opening up the country safely and flattening the curve is a challenge. I doubt any experts have a real answer for that, this is a "learn as you go" process. One step forward, two steps back, this looks like the reality most countries are facing, to be quite honest.

One thing for sure is you're never going to learn to run if you don't even make an attempt to walk. This fear of taking any steps at all because you might have to take a step back is unacceptable.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:24 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
One thing for sure is you're never going to learn to run if you don't even make an attempt to walk. This fear of taking any steps at all because you might have to take a step back is unacceptable.
At this point, I think anybody (regardless of their age) who want to stay home, - stay home

Everybody else, go back to work.

In term of the hospitals, well, flattening the curve or not, they treat this covid-19 as the only illness anyway. So people need surgeries (like my friend who needs the gallbladder removed), they should have the surgeries done.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:42 AM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I wear a face covering, sanitize my hands and wash them after going into public because it is a very serious virus that has limited treatments and no vaccine.
Well, we're all glad to hear that. Now will you please convince other people to do the same? There's plenty of them posting in this forum. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I find it ridiculous people who criticize people out in public, whether it be a protest or or at the beach, blaming them if they get infected. It’s stupid! Blame yourself for getting infected for leaving your home unprotected. Everyone is responsible for their own safety. If I’m infected out in public, it’s your fault you got from me. You shouldn’t have left your home unprotected.
That's not how it works. My mask protects you, your mask protects me. But still we have self-righteous, stubborn morons who are refusing to wear masks for no other reason than they don't want to. What do you have to say to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Everyone should just assume that they may be infected and stay away from anyone who is over 60 or they know has asthma, diabetes, hypertension, etc.
How do you do that when people over 60 or people who have asthma, etc., have to work, too?

Quote:
A lot of egregious mistakes (some identified due to the benefit of hindsight) have been made up to this point, and the government response has seemed chaotic at best. However, it shouldn't stop us from focusing and opening back up fairly aggressively and relatively safely.
Aggressive and safe, in this instance, are contradictory; instead, that would ensure that the chaos continues. And since there's no leadership from the federal government, opening up is piecemeal and ... chaotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'd like one question answered. Why in the F are ALL media outlets open? On their best day they aren't anything approaching "essential".
You don't consider information essential? That's grand if you want to remain ignorant or keep your head in the sand, but I don't. Nevermind that most news people are working from home anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
People are so used to thumb-in-the-eye partisan fighting that they are using that lens to view the Coronavirus crisis. Everybody sees this as a horrific turn of events — right, left, liberal, conservative, upside-down and sideways. It is a two edged sword— favor one thing and you hurt the other. The economy will eventually recover once the disease is defeated. There will be a lot of victims along the way — economically wounded. We have to realize and be supportive of the economic harm and the victims of the shutdown. This is not a time for greed. More importantly we have to defeat the highly contagious virus - one that we know very little about and that is resistant to usual remedies and existing vaccines. Most people are following directives but “most people” is not enough. A state that botches the reopening will set us all back and the weeks of sacrifice will be for nothing. We will see another ten thousand dead. We need solid public confidence that the virus is controlled before we get anywhere close to normal. This is not the time to be going to beaches or concerts. This is a time for discipline, patience, and unity with a focus on defeating the virus.
This is a fabulous post, but I fear it will fall on deaf ears, as so much common sense and/or information based on scientific evidence has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
It is wishful thinking to believe that Americans will suddenly comply the way the population does in China or Taiwan. For years, our culture has prioritized questioning authority, questioning the other side, taking sides. It won't change now with the vast majority of people surviving the virus.
Sadly, our culture also for decades has ridiculed education, the scientific processes, and the men and women behind both. We reap what we sow, and we've sown ignorance and the inability for critical thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The issue is our Constitution and the openly illegal crushing all of our Constitutional rights by the politicians and yes I believe most politicians want this to continue as long as possible and when the food supply is exhausted, grab full control through starvation and selection.
That's not only delusional, it's comedy gold! Please, pray tell, which Constitutional rights have been crushed? Please provide details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Trump needs to step up and tell these protestors to cease, this is complicated and governors and mayors are doing the best they can.
One tragedy in all this, after the death toll and human tragedy, is the lack of leadership from the top. We have elected a national leadership that can't get its collective act together to come up with a coordinated way to fight a pandemic and a national emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Wear a mask and wash your hands frequently, and don’t touch your face without washing your hands first.
Please tell that to all the people - there are plenty here on this forum - who are saying they refuse to wear a mask for no good reason other than they don't want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
They should wear masks if they have them, but they aren’t easy to find
That's a lame excuse. An old T-shirt folded over a few times and some string - voila!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Anyone who doesn't actually believe these shut downs are some type of "power grab" needs to have their heads examined. The Democrat Governors are destroying the lives of their citizens because they think the fallout could be severe enough to help the next Dem Presidential candidate (whoever that may be).
Actually, the crackpots who do believe that are the ones who need a little mental health intervention. Or a lot, maybe.

Quote:
When Dr. Falsey was telling us all January and February that the threat was "miniscule", that we should be less focused on coronavirus and more on common flu, that we should not wear masks, and that there was no reason to restrict travel, how can you take *him* seriously?
When you use childish epithets, how can we take *you* seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
it just means that keeping everything shut down to cater to the boomers who are at risk is foolish and cowardly.
100 posts before a stab at Baby Boomers. Gotta be a new record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Possibly the numbers will be over 100,000....and I get that you are very happy about that because you've always wanted to use this pandemic to score cheap political points and there's a chance you'll be able to.

Don't get it twisted
I'm afraid you're the one who has it twisted. Nobody wants to use a national emergency to score points on any score. That you would say something like that says more about you than it does your intended target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
The Democrats control the global media too?
Amazing, isn't it! I bet they wish they knew they had such power long before this. LMAO ...

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 05-05-2020 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: the Oxford comma is not dead

Old 05-05-2020, 11:47 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,990,547 times
Quote:
So the healthy have to stay home so the vulnerable can go out?
Who are the healthy? If only it were easy to know. Will the healthy be tested daily?

Old 05-05-2020, 12:02 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Do I think people need to go back to work? Yes...
Do I think it's dangerous? Yes...
Do I have an answer for this predicament? No...

And I know people wanna hold Trump to the fire, and I think we do need to. But that includes other leaders that botched everything. Democratic or Republican. So if Pelosi encouraged people to go out, put her a** on blast too...
well, I give you credit for not getting this opinion/ramble in the form of a youtube video.

the failures we've endured started well before this Administration, and they include actions taken not driven by Trump or anything that he has said. And he's made his own mistakes.

But we're too busy - here and in the media-driven national conversation - assigning blame and fomenting panic instead of doing what we CAN to get to the bottom of the issue. To get the answers and information we can, to understand what it takes to get better information, and to process all of that into solutions.

Recognize the problem
Determine the options
Promote the best solution

When we can't agree on the problem, we can't ever get to the best solution.

There's far too many people that are getting whatever info they are, and have determined that going back to work and "life", even with simple measures to vastly reduce transmission, is too risky. They are wrong.

There's far too many - though I'd say a much smaller group - that says because it hasn't been as bad as once predicted, we completely over-reacted and should drop all precautionary measures. They too are wrong.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:16 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's not how it works. My mask protects you, your mask protects me. But still we have self-righteous, stubborn morons who are refusing to wear masks for no other reason than they don't want to. What do you have to say to them?
I don’t care if someone isn’t wearing a mask, as long as I am properly protected and make common sense choices, me getting infected is low. Besides, there is no law mandating people to wear masks outside their home. Again, I’m responsible for my own safety, nobody else. I choose to leave my home, thus it’s my fault if I get infected.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:47 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Yes, lots of asymptomatic people carrying the virus.

A massive percentage is carrying. Sadly, the majority of us are going to contract this before they have a vaccine. It is very serious because people don't know how will it effect when one comes down with it.

But it is not going to make a difference whether people leave the house today, in a week or wait months because there is no way to avoid it unless one hides in a cave until a vaccine.

The stress, lack of sunlight must be impacting the majority of the publics immune system also.
if you're not old or have serious medical issues, it is not statistically a significant issue - other than your ability to unknowingly (asymptomatic) give it to others. So simple hygiene kills it - practice it everyone!

Old 05-05-2020, 12:55 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Nobody wants to use a national emergency to score points on any score.
I would argue that you lying about it is worse than just the fact that it's true alone. It's happening too blatantly for your gaslighting to have any hope of working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies