Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2020, 07:10 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think about this. Married Black women are definitely having fewer children. I also want to point this out. Black women with college degrees have far lower OOW birth rates than Black women with only an associates or less. It's not just math, I see living proof of it often. Most of the Black that I personally know, who went to college and graduated, they didn't have kids out of wedlock. They found a man, got married, then had kids. Strangely, they tend to have fewer kids.

What I notice, based on math, is this. There is a problem. A big part of it isn't middle class Black women having a man by their partner and the partner sticking around for years (without getting married). If you look at education level, it's not the Black women with Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorate degrees contributing to the lion's share of this. The largest portion of this comes from women who barely graduate from high school. Alot of it is coming from pregnant teenagers.

Before anyone uses this as a chance to say "see, racism isn't making you do self-destructive things", zip it up right now. Out of wedlock births and job discrimination have nothing to with each other and they are separate issues. I agree that having kids out of wedlock is not a good idea. I agree that having kids out of wedlock, particularly if you are jobless, is not a good idea. I know it increases your chances of poverty. I learned about this stuff in middle school. It goes without saying. However, you can do all the right things, and still deal with discrimination everyday. You can do the right thing, and still deal with the police pulling you over and harassing you because the officer, or someone who called the police because someone felt "he's suspicious, he doesn't belong". 70% OOW birth rate, no one is making people have kids out of wedlock. It still doesn't negate certain forms of racism taking place.

Back to the topic. A lion's share of out of wedlock births are from women who aren't doing too well in the education realm.
That's not limited to just black women. Uneducated white women are much more likely to have OOW babies than white women with college degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 08:04 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That's not limited to just black women. Uneducated white women are much more likely to have OOW babies than white women with college degrees.
It's not limited to just Black women. I grew up in a predominantly White area and I saw it for myself. Most of the females who were college-bound made sure not to get pregnant in high school. I saw fewer pregnant students in college than in high school. The pregnant women I remember from college, they were already married by the time of pregnancy.

This should throw you for a loop. I saw more condoms in a 9 year old's bedroom (I was visiting my cousin, he had condoms in his room, probably for the heck for it. They weren't opened) than I did in high school. In college I could go to the clinic and find condoms at the reception desk, there for the taking. Maybe it was fitting that fewer pregnancies occurred in college than high school (that I know of).

Pretty much the majority of White women I went to college with, they haven't had kids out of wedlock. Same goes for the majority of Black women I went to college with. I know a few women who are in their mid 30s who still don't have kids.

I brought up what I did for another reason. The birth pyramid is very lopsided for Black women. Black women who get Doctorate degrees are less likely to have kids than White women who get Doctorate degrees. On the other end, Black women who get only a high school education have more kids than White women with only a high school education. And the majority of births (82% for Black women with a high school education or less) are out of wedlock. I'm saying it's very lopsided.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:06 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
He (Biden) was born Pennsylvania and spent part of his life there. He moved to Delaware when he was about 11. He lived in a southern state, but one bordered by PA and NJ, with Wilmington in it. Wilmington is basically an extension of Philadelphia. He was born into the Catholic faith, and likely still believes in it. However, he doesn't seem particularly devout at this point.
So, he spent 66 years of his 77 year life living in Delaware. Can't really claim he's a Pennsylvanian.

Quote:
And a majority of Blacks live in the South. 13% of Whites are Baptist. Guess where a majority of them live. The South, i.e. The Bible Belt.
That's where most Black Baptists live, yet look at Blacks' unwed birth rate and consequent single-parent household rate and childhood poverty rate. They're very religious (much more so than Whites) yet self-destructive. WHY?

Quote:
Actually, you are the one with issues. You're trying to say "Democrats are more religious than Republicans".
I've said Blacks and Hispanics, the two demographic groups who are more religious than Whites AND overwhelmingly vote Dem, ALSO have the highest unwed birth rates and consequent single-parent household rates and childhood poverty rates. WHY? WHY do Blacks' and Hispanics' stronger religious beliefs translate into them embracing self-destructive behaviors/cultural values at a much higher percentage than Whites?

Old 05-20-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Like it or not. None of the above are as loud as the Religious Right and a number of other Republicans who insist combining church and state when it suits them. They are threat to true religious liberty and only desire Constitutional rights for themselves.
Pelosi is quite loud and is televised regularly claiming she prays for people, etc., when discussing her actions as Speaker of the House (and currently 2nd in line after Pence for POTUS). If anyone's conflating church and state on a regular basis, it's Pelosi, a Democrat.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
But they are not as loud, not are they given as much attention as the Religious Right. White Republicans often declare their party as the Christian one. That is the reason why people mistake whites are more religious.
They were quite loud when they came out in droves to defeat Prop 8 (same sex marriage) in California.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
It's not limited to just Black women. I grew up in a predominantly White area and I saw it for myself. Most of the females who were college-bound made sure not to get pregnant in high school. I saw fewer pregnant students in college than in high school. The pregnant women I remember from college, they were already married by the time of pregnancy.

This should throw you for a loop. I saw more condoms in a 9 year old's bedroom (I was visiting my cousin, he had condoms in his room, probably for the heck for it. They weren't opened) than I did in high school. In college I could go to the clinic and find condoms at the reception desk, there for the taking. Maybe it was fitting that fewer pregnancies occurred in college than high school (that I know of).

Pretty much the majority of White women I went to college with, they haven't had kids out of wedlock. Same goes for the majority of Black women I went to college with. I know a few women who are in their mid 30s who still don't have kids.

I brought up what I did for another reason. The birth pyramid is very lopsided for Black women. Black women who get Doctorate degrees are less likely to have kids than White women who get Doctorate degrees. On the other end, Black women who get only a high school education have more kids than White women with only a high school education. And the majority of births (82% for Black women with a high school education or less) are out of wedlock. I'm saying it's very lopsided.
That's quite interesting, actually. What you're saying is that the level of education makes more of a difference for blacks than whites (although it makes a difference for both....just a matter of degree). Interesting.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Pelosi is quite loud and is televised regularly claiming she prays for people, etc., when discussing her actions as Speaker of the House (and currently 2nd in line after Pence for POTUS). If anyone's conflating church and state on a regular basis, it's Pelosi, a Democrat.
I always took her sanctimonious-sounding "I'll pray for him" stuff as sarcasm. She was just dripping in it.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I always took her sanctimonious-sounding "I'll pray for him" stuff as sarcasm. She was just dripping in it.
Sarcasm or not, she routinely conflates her duties as Speaker of the House and her prominence in the Dem Party with her Christian religion. She did the same thing when officially speaking about criminal illegal aliens (MS-13, etc.). She said they have the "spark of divinity." Her religious beliefs have no place in her Congressional duties/role. Leave it at home, Nancy.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:14 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
They were quite loud when they came out in droves to defeat Prop 8 (same sex marriage) in California.
Regardless, they are not as loud as the Religious Right. The Religious Right is a constant, problematic threat to true religious liberty.

Quote:
Meh...one person who claims to pray for others has nothing on the Religious Right. They are an active, influential political faction consistently trying to push THEIR religion through the government.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:27 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Regardless, they are not as loud as the Religious Right. The Religious Right is a constant, problematic threat to true religious liberty.

Meh...one person who claims to pray for others has nothing on the Religious Right. They are an active, influential political faction consistently trying to push THEIR religion through the government.
The Religious Right is mostly a visual annoyance. Politicians might give them a smile, but nobody is introducing legislation to make prayer or church going compulsory. There is NO state supported religion here- ironically unlike supposedly more secular Europe.

The Constitution is pretty clear. This is a secular republic.

I like that. And I would be obliged if the nutcase minorities on the Right and Left and also you remember that from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies