Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2020, 12:59 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I think we’re well beyond the “fixing” it point. I’ve read every statistic and study I could find on the subject and its clear that its now culturally ingrained into the black community.

The great news is as a black man, liberals tell me I can just blame someone else. And when that doesn’t work, liberals claim it can’t be fixed overnight.

So in the meantime our American black youth get to live without male father figures at a whopping 80% rate while democrats promise to fix it one day and African immigrants continue to be highly educated, being victors instead of victims.
The truth is that much of the Western world is this way. Only in places that have deep marital traditions (religious AND cultural) has marriage and birth within wedlock truly survived.

It’s not a liberal/conservative issue but a cultural one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 01:10 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Last time I flew into Chicago for a business trip, while taking an Uber back to the airport, I got an absolute earful on this very topic from my driver. He and his wife were recent immigrants from Kenya. Both of them were putting themselves thru nursing school. This was a very heated subject for him and he literally went off for an hour telling me about it. So you are not alone with your opinions! Nice post.
The thing is, people like me are going to get angry about it. I'm in full favor that kids need to be born in wedlock. I'm in favor that it's a good idea to get an education and better yourself. Sadly, listening to the Uber driver from Kenya, all I would get out of him is the feeling that he has a disdain for Black Americans. I couldn't have that discussion with him. All I would hear out of him is his bewilderment at Black Americans, followed by resentment and disdain. I feel like all he wants to do and talk down on Black Americans.

I have no problem talking about fatherless homes and the consequences of it. I have a problem with people who look for an opportunity to talk down on Black Americans. I take it personally as a Black American.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:44 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Last time I flew into Chicago for a business trip, while taking an Uber back to the airport, I got an absolute earful on this very topic from my driver. He and his wife were recent immigrants from Kenya. Both of them were putting themselves thru nursing school. This was a very heated subject for him and he literally went off for an hour telling me about it. So you are not alone with your opinions! Nice post.
That’s interesting considering that Kenya, similar to many other nations, did not even register the births of children out of wedlock until recently. Fathers were not responsible for their children out of wedlock.

Another example is Nepal, which also did not register children born out of wedlock. Abortion numbers are significant there as well. Yet the above cultures are those that are deemed more traditional and stable in terms of family. Not saying that they are not in comparison but there are significant issues.

Sometimes people simply want to talk about those who they perceive as more problematic than they in whatever society they live. But look closer at their home countries or even at those within their ethnic group in the new land. There often isn’t as much room to talk.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
I think because it’s a breaking point for so many people. As long as they can live in their own little neighborhood and not see the blight and crime but that it becoming harder to find every day. When their children start being directly affected I think the people who actually pull the strings and turn the wheel in this country are going to do something. The only solution to me short of stealing every civil right from citizens to force them to behave in a acceptable way is just say screw it and start a new country with entry by invite only.
Well, this is the thing. Black Americans have been living at the edge of breaking point from day one. Black Americans didn't even have a say in how they got here. The blight, poverty, and crime Black Americans have been dealing with, it's nothing new. Stealing away civil rights? Black Americans were having their rights violated and were treated like 2nd class citizens for years. Alot of people could live in their own neighborhoods and never see what was going on with Black Americans. Black Americans were also kept out of certain neighborhoods. It took the riots of the 1960s to see what was up. It took the Civil Rights movement to see what was going on.

Actually, this country nearly broke up in the 1860s. And slavery was at the heart of it. More people died fighting in the Civil War than WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.

The thing is, the one way people started seeing the blight and poverty around then is when some Black people, who dealt with everything from housing discrimination to police brutality, started rioting. It got alot of people's attention. Some people just fled the cities even more.

With OOW births, this is the thing. The people being affected by it the most are..........
1) So used to it they're numb to it.
2) Will flee when they get the chance. They have no incentive to try because those immersed in such behavior won't listen to anyone.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:10 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,185,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
I think because it’s a breaking point for so many people. As long as they can live in their own little neighborhood and not see the blight and crime but that it becoming harder to find every day. When their children start being directly affected I think the people who actually pull the strings and turn the wheel in this country are going to do something. The only solution to me short of stealing every civil right from citizens to force them to behave in a acceptable way is just say screw it and start a new country with entry by invite only.
Do you really think that?

Many will care less about all your stuff will just kill before complying with your rules. They won't care at all about behaving in an acceptable way (exactly how is forcing them to behave done when they already don't have much and are more than willing to cause you or whoever they can some damage in any way they can?). The mistake was in forcing people to be here in the first place and never being strong enough to admit the mistake, as well as continuing to want all you can get in this world with a little help and hindrance from the people brought here. Your need to be a top of everything and everyone else comes with consequences for everyone.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:29 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The thing is, people like me are going to get angry about it. I'm in full favor that kids need to be born in wedlock. I'm in favor that it's a good idea to get an education and better yourself. Sadly, listening to the Uber driver from Kenya, all I would get out of him is the feeling that he has a disdain for Black Americans. I couldn't have that discussion with him. All I would hear out of him is his bewilderment at Black Americans, followed by resentment and disdain. I feel like all he wants to do and talk down on Black Americans.

I have no problem talking about fatherless homes and the consequences of it. I have a problem with people who look for an opportunity to talk down on Black Americans. I take it personally as a Black American.
I cannot speak to your Uber driver. For myself and others I have discussed it with, we are NOT trying to talk down to you.

We are simply pointing out the obvious: Having kids without means (forget wedlock for a moment) is asking for trouble. It creates instability and helps to reproduce said instability as well as poverty.

Did you ever stop and think that maybe- just maybe- most people including monstrous, white conservatives such as myself with you no harm and WANT blacks to do well?

No disdain. Rather, harsh and brutally constructive criticism.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I cannot speak to your Uber driver. For myself and others I have discussed it with, we are NOT trying to talk down to you.

We are simply pointing out the obvious: Having kids without means (forget wedlock for a moment) is asking for trouble. It creates instability and helps to reproduce said instability as well as poverty.

Did you ever stop and think that maybe- just maybe- most people including monstrous, white conservatives such as myself with you no harm and WANT blacks to do well?

Well, this is where I'm coming from. There is constructive criticism, and then I look at some of the language. I read in between the lines. I pay attention to every word said. When constructive criticism involves things like "why do you vote Democrat so much" and "welfare caused this problem" and "you were better off before LBJ", that is mainly more brutal than anything.

It is one thing when you say things like....

-OOW births only aggravate poverty.
-Fatherless homes have an effect on children.
-Having kids and not being able to take care of them causes problems.

I say those things. I'm pretty much a straight talker. I understand not controlling your loins will cause alot of problems down the road. I also understand the nuances that are taking place. There is a big gap between me and the persons who don't listen.

When you say stuff like as to suggest there is something wrong with Black people, then it becomes a problem. I also think about this. And to be blunt, I've never really stopped to think about the idea that some people want Blacks to do well. When people are saying things like "Black people are brainwashed by liberals", or "liberals train Blacks to be victims" or "what is with Black people" or "Blacks will continue to be self-destructive", that doesn't doesn't translate to "I just want Blacks to do well". It sounds more like people complaining ABOUT Black people. Reason for this? I hear people talking ABOUT Black people regarding other things. And in brutal ways.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:34 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, this is the thing. Black Americans have been living at the edge of breaking point from day one. Black Americans didn't even have a say in how they got here. The blight, poverty, and crime Black Americans have been dealing with, it's nothing new. Stealing away civil rights? Black Americans were having their rights violated and were treated like 2nd class citizens for years. Alot of people could live in their own neighborhoods and never see what was going on with Black Americans. Black Americans were also kept out of certain neighborhoods. It took the riots of the 1960s to see what was up. It took the Civil Rights movement to see what was going on.

Actually, this country nearly broke up in the 1860s. And slavery was at the heart of it. More people died fighting in the Civil War than WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.

The thing is, the one way people started seeing the blight and poverty around then is when some Black people, who dealt with everything from housing discrimination to police brutality, started rioting. It got alot of people's attention. Some people just fled the cities even more.

With OOW births, this is the thing. The people being affected by it the most are..........
1) So used to it they're numb to it.
2) Will flee when they get the chance. They have no incentive to try because those immersed in such behavior won't listen to anyone.

Will flee from whom?

Where to?

Old 05-21-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Will flee from whom?

Where to?
People such as the Black middle class fleeing from the underclass and to middle class/upper class areas. When there is nothing you can do to get people to listen, and it's literally causing you problems, you go elsewhere.

In fact, during the housing crisis, many Blacks living in majority-Black Southfield,MI took issue with poorer Blacks moving in from Detroit.

https://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/2...ro_detroi.html

Old 05-21-2020, 04:48 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

I totally understand what you are saying, yet let me point at the other side of it.
With the price tag being put on child rearing in the US, the MAJORITY of Blacks will simply not be able to have kids, IF they will follow your advise.

What they will have to do in order "to stay out of poverty," is to go to work and then to pay each and every penny for the roofs over their heads, food, car insurance and such.
Whatever they'll have left, can go towards the cable bills.

This way they will be more than welcome to watch the soap-operas after their working hours, that will depict the lives of the "Young and restless," THEIR family lives and THEIR children that they enjoy, once they managed to climb atop of the financial pyramid.

Quote:

The scenario above that I described would imply "doing well" for AAs.

And in my case as well - no talking down, no disdain.
Just pointing you at the other side of the medal, in the most respectful way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies