Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 07:42 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Watch out for little things like that, Rachel. The CD professional sharks will rend you limb from limb over a little mistake like that. They love the smell of blood in the water and go into a feeding frenzy of discrediting someone who disagrees with their agenda.
On believe me, the response was mild. I’ve been subjected to much worse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 08:10 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Errr....won't a lot of businesses just do what they already do and pay people under the table?

I mean seriously folks we have 6mil illegals in the US, let's not pretend that people can't work off the books and thus double collect.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:12 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have to admit drawing the minimum $820 a week unemployment as an Independent Contractor is pretty nice. I can draw this through July and only if I close on a home it delays that weeks check.

Restaurants, salons, etc cannot find workers willing to come back to work now because they can earn easily 2 times what they made prior to the shutdown due to the original CARES Act. Much of that money will be paid through Dec 31.

There is also a good chance they will extend these benefits with the next Bill.

Not a bad deal.

https://twitter.com/DavidCaltabiano/...34307914944512
Well gee wiz, be thankful - but many still have ZERO benefits sent to them with archaic programs that are meant to fail! If people have not returned -except a few- it might be because its not safe. There always will be those that take advantage. On another front, where do you take your kids?? It is not so simple.
If you refuse a job- you stop getting payments...( if ever get any) at least in my state. FYI $275 a week max

Old 05-18-2020, 08:14 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
On believe me, the response was mild. I’ve been subjected to much worse!
We all make mistakes. A few rare birds like yourself actually admit to it around here. +1 rep.

P.S. This morning I'm looking at an upper 6-figure sorta-mistake someone made at work so perspective is everything.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:17 AM

24,001 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Nice try, but the Leftists had Trump over a barrel - delaying the bill until they could get their demands met. Trump knew people needed money, and Dems essentially said "give them TWICE what they could earn or they get nothing at all."
What were the demands? It matters.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Well gee wiz, be thankful - but many still have ZERO benefits sent to them with archaic programs that are meant to fail! If people have not returned -except a few- it might be because its not safe. There always will be those that take advantage. On another front, where do you take your kids?? It is not so simple.
If you refuse a job- you stop getting payments...( if ever get any) at least in my state. FYI $275 a week max
Are employers required to report the name of every person, along with their SS number, who refused a job offer?

Also, why are you ignoring the $600 a week in ADDITION to the regular $275? It’s the extra $600 giveaway that is creating the problem! That’s almost $900 a week, or close to $4000 a month. No low-level employee getting $10 an hour is going to go back to their tedious job when they can get 4 grand a month if they stay unemployed.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
What were the demands? It matters.
The demand I am referring to is the extra bribe of $600 a week for people to stay unemployed. It’s designed to go until August. How are business owners going to staff their companies during June and July?

Old 05-18-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We all make mistakes. A few rare birds like yourself actually admit to it around here. +1 rep.

P.S. This morning I'm looking at an upper 6-figure sorta-mistake someone made at work so perspective is everything.
Thank you.

And sorry some dufus at your job made such a large error. Ouch.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:23 AM

24,001 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Same bill that pays furloughed airline workers for not working.

Same bill that pays some publicly traded companies with deep pockets.

NY formula:
Divide earnings for highest quarter by 26 up to a maximum of $504/ week.

Massachusetts, Hawaii and Washington State have the highest weekly cap.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/09/how-...our-state.html

There are thousands of micro economies in the US. What matters is what your wage buys in your local economy. Housing is the single greatest line item in terms of local cost of living.

It is one of the key reasons why a Federal Minimum Wage makes no sense.
Thanks.

IIRC, some petroleum companies shared nearly 2 billion of it. Oil and gas is a feast or famine way to make a living, and they all know it. They should not constantly be relying on taxpayer hand outs.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:24 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Is this money from the same bill that gave big companies millions?

Does NY state UI give more than other states?
My friend worked part time 20 hours a week making $15 an hour = $300 a week. She now collects $143 a week in unemployment and $600 a week from the stimulus. Yes - I'm in NY and know many not unhappy about not being able to go back to work. Meanwhile my friend's son works at Target making $15 for 40 hr week - $600.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies