Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 08:24 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times

Advertisements

It's my understanding that if your employer offers you your old job back and you refuse unemployment stops. One of the questions asked on the unemployment site certification is "Did you refuse any offer of work or fail to go for a scheduled job interview?"

Answering yes to this question will flag you for follow up. When they ask you why you refused your old job and you tell them "I make more on unemployment" I suspect you will lose your claim.

https://esd.wa.gov/unemployment/weekly-claim-questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 08:25 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,548,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
On believe me, the response was mild. I’ve been subjected to much worse!

Yes, you have. I would say that I imagine you have scars, but they perceive their enemies' scars as trophies of their (intellectual?) war.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:31 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Asi explained, the Dems were refusing to put forth a bill granting the $1200 emergency relief unless it also bribed people to stay unemployed. Trump was in a no-win position, thanks to the devious Democrats.

Trump should have insisted the Senate put forth a bill for the emergency aid only and insisted it stand on it's own, "no package deals". And then advertise it to the public. The Dems have to vote yeah or nay on it alone, no way to vote nay and claim it's about other parts of the bill.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:34 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Quote:
Are employers required to report the name of every person, along with their SS number, who refused a job offer?

Also, why are you ignoring the $600 a week in ADDITION to the regular $275? It’s the extra $600 giveaway that is creating the problem! That’s almost $900 a week, or close to $4000 a month. No low-level employee getting $10 an hour is going to go back to their tedious job when they can get 4 grand a month if they stay unemployed.
https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-...return-to-jobs

Quote:
U.S. Labor Department guidance “does make clear that basic fear of exposure won’t be enough to refuse suitable work,” said Michele Evermore, a senior policy analyst at the National Employment Law Project, which advocates for expanded worker protections and benefits.
In Florida, you now have to prove that you're applying for jobs. That was suspended for about a month. Not that most people were able to pull their benefits anyway... there are still a huge number of people not getting anything because the system is (intentionally) archaic and designed to be difficult to use.

The extra $600, as I understand it, was twofold: First, it was to provide funds for parents who still needed to pay for childcare to hold their kids' places even though the kids were not going. Many daycare centers continue/d to charge despite not being open. And it also helped pay for health insurance premiums that were going unpaid by employers during the layoffs.

The other reason for the extra was to try to stimulate the economy. And let's face it: The ones making very low wages are the ones most likely to "stimulate the economy" by buying things that they need (or, in some cases, don't need) with their stimulus checks and/or that extra money each week.

And also keep in mind that for a large percentage, that "extra" wouldn't really be extra over what they typically make. If you normally make $1,000/week (a bit under the average income in Florida) and the cap is $275, then the most you'd get with the extra $600 is still only $875. The only people making out in this deal are those who make very low wages to begin with.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:34 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
family member is a mechanic his shop "furloughed" all the guys who did the grunt work i.e. things like oil changes and tires. They kept the real mechanics on to do this work as "essential workers". the mechanics took a big pay cut(basically 50%) because such jobs don't pay a real commission rate but earned them just enough not to get any Government subsidies. Meanwhile the low end guys they cut are taking home a 1k a week, twice their normal salary. Recently they decided to bring one guy back and he refused saying why should he come back at half pay? They had to tell him to be there within two days or else they would inform unemployment he refused to take his job back. I imagine a lot of employers are going to have to threaten this and follow up on it.
And so they should! if you refuse, you lose, but many want to work and cannot. I do not think the majority is of those that refuse. My barber grandson could not wait- and he is back and my other grand still cant return and going nuts. However, if others are afraid, why would you not be?? Did the employer make the workplace safer?? One thing is for sure - in restaurants, bars etc. people open their mouths to eat and drink- who then has to deal with your dirty plates and forks etc after?

But with coronavirus cases continuing to mount across the U.S., not everyone is ready to get back to life as normal. According to a survey from The Washington Post and the University of Maryland, 67% of Americans say they would be uncomfortable going into a store and 78% say they would be uncomfortable eating at a restaurant.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/11/what...k-to-work.html

Old 05-18-2020, 08:35 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Heh the thread title sounds like a link to a too good to be true spam site...sadly its become reality

Old 05-18-2020, 08:38 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Errr....won't a lot of businesses just do what they already do and pay people under the table?

I mean seriously folks we have 6mil illegals in the US, let's not pretend that people can't work off the books and thus double collect.
We have at least double that - 12 million is a conservative number.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:39 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Errr....won't a lot of businesses just do what they already do and pay people under the table?

I mean seriously folks we have 6mil illegals in the US, let's not pretend that people can't work off the books and thus double collect.
bring a good point under the table- pay-- OH YASS these folks are getting zero benefits- mind you--not all are illegal either. Many times the convicts or folks with other issues go for these jobs too

Last edited by tinytrump; 05-18-2020 at 09:10 AM..

Old 05-18-2020, 08:39 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
It's my understanding that if your employer offers you your old job back and you refuse unemployment stops. One of the questions asked on the unemployment site certification is "Did you refuse any offer of work or fail to go for a scheduled job interview?"

Answering yes to this question will flag you for follow up. When they ask you why you refused your old job and you tell them "I make more on unemployment" I suspect you will lose your claim.

https://esd.wa.gov/unemployment/weekly-claim-questions
I'm sure everyone answers this question honestly LOL.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:42 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Nice try, but the Leftists had Trump over a barrel - delaying the bill until they could get their demands met. Trump knew people needed money, and Dems essentially said "give them TWICE what they could earn or they get nothing at all."
It took Republicans in the Senate to go along too.

Republicans say to hell with fiscal sanity when they control the White House.

You can hold Trump accountable without being a liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies