Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 09:19 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes. I pointed out earlier that the Democrats pushed through this "overpayment for not working," thus making it nearly impossible for struggling businesses, once they are able to open, to find staff. Especially on the lower-end of the scale, nobody is going to give up $3000 a month or more for remaining unemployed and instead take an unskilled, tedious job paying $1600 a month. It's a sneaky way the Dems have of keeping the unemployment rate artificially high - at least up until Election Day.
it certainly seems it was done that way by design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 09:19 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually you have to prove you have applied for 6 jobs. As for now, we have 3 million newly unemployed, and 4% of claims have been processed, because the system is designed to process as few as possible. My wife got $275 check in 1st week of March, and nothing since then.

That's odd. Once set up, which can be difficult right now due to the system overload, it should all be fine. Is she requesting payment every two weeks? I don't think you can sit back and have the checks roll in automatically week after week. In my state, the claimant has to log on or call to Request Payment for each payment period, at which time they also ascertain how much if any income they had, if they were available for work, how many places they applied for work, and agree under penalty of law that all this is true.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:25 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually you have to prove you have applied for 6 jobs. As for now, we have 3 million newly unemployed, and 4% of claims have been processed, because the system is designed to process as few as possible. My wife got $275 check in 1st week of March, and nothing since then.
And you need to go out and about to apply? Great way to contain a virus, not all jobs are applied through a PC system. Specially the lower wage jobs. I am afraid hurricane season is upon us--- with DiSantis, I am very much afraid for Florida's people.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:29 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have to admit drawing the minimum $820 a week unemployment as an Independent Contractor is pretty nice. I can draw this through July and only if I close on a home it delays that weeks check.

Restaurants, salons, etc cannot find workers willing to come back to work now because they can earn easily 2 times what they made prior to the shutdown due to the original CARES Act. Much of that money will be paid through Dec 31.

There is also a good chance they will extend these benefits with the next Bill.

Not a bad deal.
I think the Federal kickin ends late July? But you bring up a good point, why work when government pays you not too?

Old 05-18-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
And you need to go out and about to apply? Great way to contain a virus, not all jobs are applied through a PC system. Specially the lower wage jobs. I am afraid hurricane season is upon us--- with DiSantis, I am very much afraid for Florida's people.

You don't have to apply for all jobs. Just apply online for the ones that are online.

And you aren't limited only to jobs posted. If McD or BK doesn't have jobs posted online, email the store manager.

And it's pretty easy for someone who doesn't really want a job offer to not get a job offer. You don't have to dress nice or comb your hair for an interview.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:34 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Nope. The Dems had him between a rock and a hard place. Took three years of trying, and then this virus appeared out of nowhere. They saw their opportunity to keep people unemployed, and they took it.

Why ELSE would you demand that unskilled workers making $1600 a week get $3500 if they remain unemployed? Because the Dems WANT people unemployed, at least until Election Day. Even the NYT wrote a piece questioning how high the unemployment rate needs to be in order for Trump to lose. (I think they're wondering if they overshot.)
When I was on UE before, I had to answer if any work was offered to me, lest I disqualified myself.
Don’t the ones on UE now have to answer the same question? UE is a fund that employers pay into for their termed employees. Where is all this money coming from (not the $600).
I am missing out too since I collect renewal income on my previous work, unless they’ve changed the rules?

Old 05-18-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
When I was on UE before, I had to answer if any work was offered to me, lest I disqualified myself.
Don’t the ones on UE now have to answer the same question? UE is a fund that employers pay into for their termed employees. Where is all this money coming from (not the $600).
I am missing out too since I collect renewal income on my previous work, unless they’ve changed the rules?

UI is a joint federal-state program, created by the 1935 Social Security Act, operated by the US Dept of Labor and administered by the states, funded by federal and state taxes on employers.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:48 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,050 times
Republicans in Congress tried to amend the bill so it wouldn't pay out more than 100% of original salary in UE benefits but Democrats would not vote for it. So here we are.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:01 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it certainly seems it was done that way by design.
Trump signed it.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:02 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Republicans in Congress tried to amend the bill so it wouldn't pay out more than 100% of original salary in UE benefits but Democrats would not vote for it. So here we are.
Then don’t pass or sign it.

Primary every damn Republican who voted for it and the idiot who signed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies