Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2020, 12:57 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Lee led troops into battle against the United States of America and is responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths. It shouldn`t be that hard to understand the difference between Lee and George Washington or any other slave owner.
Simple enough. And consider what the Confederate cause was about it. It was about keeping slavery, and there are plenty of documents to prove it. Lee isn't someone who should be honored.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:58 PM

24,603 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's just getting started. This might turn into an avalanche soon. People like me will never keep our mouth shut until they all come down.
The avalanche came and went, in 2015. You’re going to lose a lot of sleep for nothing.

There’s thousands of schools, highways, monuments, memorials, cemeteries, military bases, ships, etc. in this country that still have a name associated with the confederacy. You’re not going to get all of them, not even close. We’re talking nation monuments and cemeteries here.

Your passion is admirable, but it’s all in vain. We the black community have a lot more pressing issues to worry about, confederate removal is low on that list.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._and_memorials

Old 06-06-2020, 01:00 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,748,380 times
Quote:
Simple enough. And consider what the Confederate cause was about it. It was about keeping slavery, and there are plenty of documents to prove it. Lee isn't someone who should be honored.
but he is, and it's driving you nuts. I think like 8 counties in the US are named directly after him. Lee county. that's going to be much harder to change, because it would cost a small fortune. doesn't take much money to change a street sign or take down a little statue because baby is having a bad day. but renaming an entire county? that's gonna be tough.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
but he is, and it's driving you nuts. I think like 8 counties in the US are named directly after him. Lee county. that's going to be much harder to change, because it would cost a small fortune. doesn't take much money to change a street sign or take down a little statue because baby is having a bad day. but renaming an entire county? that's gonna be tough.
And you are here being spiteful. Why is that?

Old 06-06-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
And you are here being spiteful. Why is that?
because the whining is out of control. it's getting to a point where dealing with liberals is like dealing with children.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The avalanche came and went, in 2015. You’re going to lose a lot of sleep for nothing.

There’s thousands of schools, highways, monuments, memorials, cemeteries, military bases, ships, etc. in this country that still have a name associated with the confederacy. You’re not going to get all of them, not even close. We’re talking nation monuments and cemeteries here.

Your passion is admirable, but it’s all in vain. We the black community have a lot more pressing issues to worry about, confederate removal is low on that list.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._and_memorials
It's happening slowly, but surely. Confederate monuments have been a controversy going back to the 1990s. Someone in a small town in Kentucky got shot over someone flying a Confederate flag, in the 1990s.

I am aware of the things currently named for Confederates. Never say never. There are thousands and they won't be renamed all at once. However, they can be found.

Something else. Confederate monuments and issues among many within the Black population have nothing to do with each other. Two completely differently things. If you want to talk about that, you can start a thread about that. I wouldn't mind dealing with both problems though.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
because the whining is out of control. it's getting to a point where dealing with liberals is like dealing with children.
Well you know what? Too bad. You being spiteful isn't going to get you what you want. You want people to just shut up about this? Too bad. Get used to hearing it. I have to put up with individuals being spiteful.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Well you know what? Too bad. You being spiteful isn't going to get you what you want. You want people to just shut up about this? Too bad. Get used to hearing it. I have to put up with individuals being spiteful.
what I want is to laugh at SJW. I am getting that opportunity. if I tire of you, I will simply dismiss you.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:33 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,475,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Opinions differ on that one, I'd say. But thanks for conceding that the Confederate flag is about white pride, you'd be surprised at the number of people who'll tell you how it's 100% not a racist thing, perish the thought.
oh so pride about your color is now racist

so then by YOUR definition black lives matter is therefore racist...black power is therefore racist, black panthers are therefore racists

why do the fascist liberals love to throw the term racist around???

Old 06-06-2020, 02:10 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh so pride about your color is now racist
One of them definition thingies, really.

Quote:
so then by YOUR definition black lives matter is therefore racist...black power is therefore racist, black panthers are therefore racists
Well yes. The difference being, of course, that they're approaching the question of racism from the viewpoint of the oppressed. If you're of a race that has been systematically oppressed, there's power in appropriating your race. For centuries, blacks in America have been told that they're inferior, that their race was a shameful thing. So they react by refusing to be ashamed.

If black people flew a flag to commemorate a time in history where they sacrificed untold lives and treasure to keep white people in subjugation, you'd have some sort of parallel. But there wasn't such a time, so the comparison is pointless.

This is difficult or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies