Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 09:37 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Anyone who is afraid to do their job should consider other alternatives. Its common sense, but it seems to offend you for some reason. Not everyone is cut out to be a cop for example, or serve in the military. Public speaking seems to terrify some people, so guess what? They should probably stay away from jobs that require lot of public speaking.
Or we can work on reducing the risks of said job. That is always an option. Maybe the measures that are on the table aren’t politically feasible or feasible for a city to function properly. Maybe reform should be pushed, instead of some giving into demands to dismantle police departments. I recognize that this hasn’t happened as of yet, but that doesn’t mean that it won’t. If you can’t understand why someone would be concerned of this during these tumultuous times, then I don’t know what to tell you.

I would look for ways to mitigate the risks of the job before suggesting that people look for other professions, especially given the particular unusual and crazy circumstances. You also have to think about the issue with recruitment, if drivers are expected to deliver to areas that are experiencing disorder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 09:40 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Quote:
Anyone who is afraid to do their job should consider other alternatives. Its common sense, but it seems to offend you for some reason. Not everyone is cut out to be a cop for example, or serve in the military. Public speaking seems to terrify some people, so guess what? They should probably stay away from jobs that require lot of public speaking.
I don't think american truck drivers sign up for a job to get Reginald Denny'ed. They sign up to drive a truck in America, not Baghdad.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:43 PM

34,065 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I don't think american truck drivers sign up for a job to get Reginald Denny'ed. They sign up to drive a truck in America, not Baghdad.
Amen.

No region has any constitutional right to demand deliveries, either.

Drivers will, no doubt, deliver in law-abiding areas. That seems too high a bar to millions in cities, but that is their problem, no one elses'.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:44 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
I recognize that this hasn’t happened as of yet, but that doesn’t mean that it won’t. If you can’t understand why someone would be concerned of this during these tumultuous times, then I don’t know what to tell you.
Right. It has not happened yet, and not one city in US will elect to eliminate LE, but if the drivers think it is going to happen, then they might want to look into other avenues. There will be people who will take their places.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:44 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,968 times
Quote:
Order has been restored for the most part since the current protests have been peaceful for the most part. We lack leadership and bridge-builders. All we have is "divide and conquer" at federal level who suggest that a 75 yr man would crack his own skull for political gain, or that its ok to assault a peaceful crowd so the president can do a photo op. We needed a message saying the protestors have been heard, and improvements are being worked on.

Blame the truckers for what? It strikes me as odd that you can't comprehend simple language.
I asked you what other things you would propose to insure domestic tranquillity. I know I don’t like Trump or his administration either, but what would you do to help out in this situation, instead of telling concerned driver to **** off?

I understand the majority of the protests have been peaceful, but there have also been drivers stuck in the crosshairs of large groups that threaten their safety. I can comprehend simple language, you seem to think that their concerns are invalid, ignoring that some of their cohorts have been in quite precarious situations during all of this tumult.

We also lack leadership at the local level of many of these cities. The local politicians like to shift all the blame to their police departments, but they aren’t exactly innocent themselves.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Order has been restored for the most part since the current protests have been peaceful for the most part. .
Burning Wendys and not making it safe enough for fire dept to come is not "order".

This is what an orderly protest looks like:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=15&ajaxhist=0

Old 06-14-2020, 09:46 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:

Blame the truckers for what? It strikes me as odd that you can't comprehend simple language.
You are blaming truck drivers for being "afraid" instead of blaming thugs for violence and dangerous conditions. You are blaming the victims instead of the criminals. But sure, attack me. That makes you look SO much better.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
. There will be people who will take their places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ksINuMyHV4

Old 06-15-2020, 12:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Anyone who is afraid to do their job should consider other alternatives.

I'd agree but you are falsely assuming the trucking companies and the people shipping goods are willing to put those drivers and their own interests at risk. Trucks are already targets, this is already a problem in the industry.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:56 AM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You are blaming truck drivers for being "afraid" instead of blaming thugs for violence and dangerous conditions. You are blaming the victims instead of the criminals. But sure, attack me. That makes you look SO much better.
Thank you (and others in this thread) for sticking up for truckers My brother is a trucker and has often had to venture into dicey neighborhoods. Next time I talk to him I will ask him if he is even more concerned for his safety these days. It does concern me in these nightmarish times that he might find himself unwittingly in a bad situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies