Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 07:37 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,754,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
No, this thread isn't about "BLM". It's about a principal that got fired for saying dumb sh*t.

Do try to keep up.
hooligan: this thread isn't about BLM

title of thread: Just because I don’t walk around with a BLM sign should not mean I am a racist

also hooligan: do try to keep up

Old 06-19-2020, 07:38 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I wouldn't need luck because previous lawyers long ago sold the courts on that argument.

And many of them have successfully sued their former employers for denying them their free speech rights.

Are you serious? There's scads of case law on the subject. You can start with ckering v Board of Education, Mt. Healthy v Doyle, Connick v. Meyers, Branti v. Finkel, or Rutan v Republican Party of Illinois.
So when you look at this story, does it seem to you that before this lapse of judgement, she was considered an excellent principal who was headed for a promotion to district administration if she chose to take it?

Or does it seem more likely the admin was looking for a solid reason to fire her after a series of disappointing performances?

And a follow up question - if she sues and gets her job back, does it seem they won't find another way to fire her or make her simply want to leave the district?

These things don't usually happen in a vacuum.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:40 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,754,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So when you look at this story, does it seem to you that before this lapse of judgement, she was considered an excellent principal who was headed for a promotion to district administration if she chose to take it?

Or does it seem more likely the admin was looking for a solid reason to fire her after a series of disappointing performances?

And a follow up question - if she sues and gets her job back, does it seem they won't find another way to fire her or make her simply want to leave the district?

to fully understand this situation, you must first fully understand the level of white guilt in vermont. their lack of diversity must weigh heavily on them, because that state is batpoop insane.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:43 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I wouldn't need luck because previous lawyers long ago sold the courts on that argument.

And many of them have successfully sued their former employers for denying them their free speech rights.

Are you serious? There's scads of case law on the subject. You can start with ckering v Board of Education, Mt. Healthy v Doyle, Connick v. Meyers, Branti v. Finkel, or Rutan v Republican Party of Illinois.
Mt Healthy v. Doyle:

...The Supreme Court took the case and heard oral argument almost a year later. It handed down its decision early in 1977. On the jurisdictional question, Rehnquist held that although the school district had been created by state law, it was primarily a local entity and thus beyond the reach of the Eleventh Amendment, its first ruling in that area in 86 years. The Court did not, however, decide the question of whether Doyle had been fired legally, since there were other incidents suggesting he had difficulties in his relationships with students and fellow teachers which the district had introduced into the record. Instead, it remanded the case to the district court, ordering it to require the district to show by a preponderance of evidence that Doyle would have been fired regardless if he had not contacted the radio station. The school district was later able to do so, and in 1982 the Sixth Circuit upheld that decision...

That was the first one I looked at. I'm no lawyer, but it doesn't appear to bolster your position.

Regardless, if it's such a legal slam-dunk, she'll get her job back or a settlement, maybe both. Just how the system is designed to work.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:43 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Seems she was well enough regarded to be promoted a couple of times and hold this position for 4 years.
"Riley was an assistant principal in Windsor before becoming acting principal and then principal in 2016".

My reading between the lines is that people with ill will were emboldened by the BLM "movement" and their success in cancelling people, and they commenced a campaign against Riley when she had the temerity to have an American flag present at the recent graduation. This created ongoing "discussion" and she felt the need to put forward her view to defend herself. Those people then sensed blood in the water and went in for the kill.

Riley is another victim of racism.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
hooligan: this thread isn't about BLM

title of thread: Just because I don’t walk around with a BLM sign should not mean I am a racist

also hooligan: do try to keep up
If you're really that thick, we can stop right now. The OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
>vomit<

freedom of speech in the USA is on a ventilator.
This thread is about a principal that got fired by her bosses for saying stupid crap publicly. It is NOT about riots or protests or anything illegal. Absolutely no mention of it, at all.

Have another cup of coffee, maybe it'll sink in.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:49 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
If you're really that thick, we can stop right now. The OP:

This thread is about a principal that got fired by her bosses for saying stupid crap publicly. It is NOT about riots or protests or anything illegal. Absolutely no mention of it, at all.

Have another cup of coffee, maybe it'll sink in.
What did she say that was STUPID, publicly???

Old 06-19-2020, 07:50 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:

This thread is about a principal that got fired by her bosses for saying stupid crap
So you think the content of what she said was "stupid crap"?

Old 06-19-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What did she say that was STUPID, publicly???
What she said was simply a more wordy version of "all lives matter".

It was dumb, and intentionally or otherwise, diminishes the issue at hand.
Attached Thumbnails
“Just because I don’t walk around with a BLM sign should not mean I am a racist” => FIRED-alllivesmatter.jpg  

Old 06-19-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
So you think the content of what she said was "stupid crap"?
In context of current events, yep.

Last edited by hooligan; 06-19-2020 at 08:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.