Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 12:52 PM

11,510 posts, read 6,027,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think people are missing the OP's point. The VOLUME of posts in the P+C forum outweighs those in other forums substantially. Reminds me of how many ex-pats post on the Long Island sub-forum under NY because the forums in their areas are totally dead.
Thank you for understanding my point. I was just wondering how the politics forum here got to be so active and why people come HERE.

Right wingers tend to go to "Free Republic" and left wingers tend to go to "Democrat Underground". Young people are on Reddit. There are dozens of other places that are social based and invite political discussion.

I am not criticizing the political discussions here. I enter the discussions myself. I am just surprised by the volume and frequency of them, given that this website was created in support of City Data, which is a database on thousands of American cities.

I was asking why people are HERE and why political threads are so numerous.

Thanks for getting my point. I am not against politics here, not at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 12:54 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,131,022 times
Quote:
Why are there so many political discussions here?
Because that's what the forum is about, politics.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
It's funny, isn't it? I've wondered the same thing. This is supposed to be a forum about places but the political discussion dominates. And it's a self-perpetuating phenomenon because the feed gives so many political threads to choose from and so few of the other threads.
Bingo, you get it.

In my case, I try to stay off the political stuff since I have other places I go for political discussions.

Here, I like to use "Subscribed Forums" for my list of discussions, and that keeps me from seeing all the political discussions I might be tempted to join. I do see political threads, whenever I click "New Posts" to see what I might be missing in forums I don't subscribe to. Sometimes I get suckered into interesting political discussion or hot button issues. I don't tend to seek them out, per se.

I was just interested in hearing from others.

Are they here mainly for the political discussions, or are they here for other forums, and while they are here, they just check out what is what in the world of current events?

I wasn't as careful wording my question as I should have been, now that I know so many people are reading into it that I was opposing the politics. I'm not opposing it. I am just curious why people engage in them, and if some are here just for it or as a side show.

Thanks for getting my point.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 06-30-2020 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-30-2020, 01:01 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Because that's what the forum is about, politics.
Oy vie, how bad is some of your reading comprehension?

Old 06-30-2020, 01:02 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
It's funny, isn't it? I've wondered the same thing. This is supposed to be a forum about places
Haven't you seen the long list of many other types of forums on this website? More than any other website as far as I know.

I like to take a break from combat once in a while to post in others.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Take this up in the General U. S. forum where people talk about pros and cons of places to live in the U. S. There is also a city vs city forum. If you look further into the subjects of this entire enormous forum, you won't begin to have enough time to keep up with it.
Wonderful advice.

How could I lurk here so long and never even knew this forum existed? Thank you so much for referring me. I don't know if I will use it or not over time but I am thankful you pointed it out. I had no clue such forum existed. I guess I always thought such forum would be at the top, the way each state has a statewide forum first, then narrows to specific cities,

Thanks for recommending the General U.S. forum. I had not idea.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:07 PM

17,006 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Quote:
I think this is an outlet for more right wing people to voice their opinions. Reddit seems to be overwhelmed by leftist kids. That old confirmation bias thing.

I'm a leftist but my opinions on the protests and riots going on, and the social media witch hunt mentality that is going along with it, has me falling more in line with the conservatives here. Every post I make on reddit saying that the reaction to the Floyd situation is excessive is down-voted into oblivion.
You appear center left overall.

To the SJW kids this makes you just to the left of Hitler.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
Have you tried posting your questions in any of the individual state forums? I do agree with you about the dominance of political posts in the New Posts section. Some of the more populated states get the most posts so if you are contemplating a move to a state that isn't heavily populated you will probably see few new posts in those state forums That doesn't mean that someone won't respond to any questions you post, though. There are lots of lurkers who may respond. There are many helpful people on the CD forums. Good luck to you.
I definitely use the state/city specific forums and have gotten valuable help. Lots of kind people here.

I appreciate the non-city related forums. I just got help deciding between a 13-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro, so I am grateful that we can get help from people here on a variety of questions.

That is why I am not knocking political discussions, just asking what it is about this site that people come here for them. Maybe it is just because the Moderators allow it while some website don't. I don't know.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:08 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,539,535 times
Quote:
I think people are missing the OP's point. The VOLUME of posts in the P+C forum outweighs those in other forums substantially. Reminds me of how many ex-pats post on the Long Island sub-forum under NY because the forums in their areas are totally dead.
Oh, I get his/her point, if not his curiosity as to where to find the information (s)he seeks. As others have pointed out, this is one of the few places for fairly free "discussion" and other opinions and such from both sides. I like it because of that diversity, although I rarely post any more, instead invoking the pig wrestling rule.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
There's a whole list of state forums. You're in the politics and controversies one.

Edit - I come here because it is somewhat balanced and I don't want to live in a silo/bubble.
Hooray! An answer to my question. THANK YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies