Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 01:16 PM

1,049 posts, read 654,578 times

Advertisements

The General US Forum and City vs City are the best as far as looking for locations, vacation spots, or being a geography nerd like myself.

The states it is kinda hit or miss. States that have a higher population or a higher amount of people moving to them seem to be popular whereas states that are rural or don't get a lot of attention don't have the higher forum of posts.

You also have a few state forums (e.g. Illinois, Washington, and the Seattle forum) where people will go on there and post negative threads about it for some random reason.

As far as politics it is a forum so automatically it will lean towards older Millenials and older people who prefer the online town hall effect of a forum versus the "everyone is their own special shining star" vibe that social media and mobile apps give that Gen Z and the younger Millenials gravitate towards.

Therefore you have 2 major political categories that fall into place here

1) Older people tend to lean more conservative/right so you have that a lot of real estate people and businessmen and women tend to frequent here and they lean more conservative as a whole.

2) People in Education/Academia/or people who have deep thoughts that tend to range from far-left to centrist to straight-up anti-establishment and cannot be rated on the political scale

This forum is pretty much like a Trump Rally that has to live in the same neighborhood with a small liberal arts college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 01:20 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
When I hit "new posts", I am shocked to see so many threads filling the page from "Politics and controversies."

If you don't understand the meaning of "Politics & Other Controversies," maybe a Deaf person can sign it to you.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:21 PM

11,512 posts, read 6,027,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Take the total population of the website. Now divide that in fifty (which isn't even true - - we have many international posters). I'm only going to post in San Diego and California. What would I add to North Dakota's board? Any American has a connection to politics. So it's not surprising in that way.

With that being said, the politics board has 11.4 million posts. Five states: New York, Texas, Florida, California, and North Carolina (!) have a combined 8.2 million plus posts. So the state boards do really well - - you're just not going to find 11.4 posts in any single one.

Great insight. Thank you.

8 million posts from 5 states. 6 million posts from 45 states

That is interesting.

Those 5 states have 122 million people. The USA has 328 million people.

Those 5 states have 40% of the US population but 60% of the posts here. 60% is high for only 40% of the people, but sounds a lot more reasonable than only 10% of the states.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
One of the things I like about C-D is that it's a "one stop shopping" site for all kinds of different topics. I'm not aware of any other site with such a wide range of topics to discuss. The politics forum is the one that I post in more than any other. But I do pop in on my own state's forum most times that I'm here, and try to answer people's questions as best I can. This site still does provide a forum for people to ask and answer questions about relocation.
Compelling answer. Thank you.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Same, I post here for interesting discussions and perspectives from people of all backgrounds. It’s very enlightening to even just observe two good arguments.
How often does this happen.

The normal trend is for a good discussion to get hijacked pretty quickly. Don't even get me started on trolls and people who tend to do drive bys, by making an inflammatory post that causes a flame war, and they never post again, just sit back and laugh at the damage they do.

I agree. A good debate is fun to watch. I find it rare when they last long before getting bombarded by trolls and hit-and-run posters. Some topics that are not very controversial do get a nice discussion, so I know what you mean. Abortion and gun control threads usually last a page or 2 before they get so derailed you have to lock them. We can't seem to play nice on those discussions, among many others. The stakes are too high all around.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
The General US Forum and City vs City are the best as far as looking for locations, vacation spots, or being a geography nerd like myself.

The states it is kinda hit or miss. States that have a higher population or a higher amount of people moving to them seem to be popular whereas states that are rural or don't get a lot of attention don't have the higher forum of posts.

You also have a few state forums (e.g. Illinois, Washington, and the Seattle forum) where people will go on there and post negative threads about it for some random reason.

As far as politics it is a forum so automatically it will lean towards older Millenials and older people who prefer the online town hall effect of a forum versus the "everyone is their own special shining star" vibe that social media and mobile apps give that Gen Z and the younger Millenials gravitate towards.

Therefore you have 2 major political categories that fall into place here

1) Older people tend to lean more conservative/right so you have that a lot of real estate people and businessmen and women tend to frequent here and they lean more conservative as a whole.

2) People in Education/Academia/or people who have deep thoughts that tend to range from far-left to centrist to straight-up anti-establishment and cannot be rated on the political scale

This forum is pretty much like a Trump Rally that has to live in the same neighborhood with a small liberal arts college.
This post helps me understand much better. Thanks for such a meaningful and well-written answer. What you said makes enormous sense.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:08 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,668,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
lol @ thinking this site is not right leaning.

well, it isnt.. this forum is full of TDS more than anything.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:12 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,165,493 times
I enjoy expressing my points of view! I fear at some point in time this will be taken away from us, so in the interim, I post away! I find it therapeutic.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:32 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Wonderful advice.

How could I lurk here so long and never even knew this forum existed? Thank you so much for referring me. I don't know if I will use it or not over time but I am thankful you pointed it out. I had no clue such forum existed. I guess I always thought such forum would be at the top, the way each state has a statewide forum first, then narrows to specific cities,

Thanks for recommending the General U.S. forum. I had not idea.
The General U.S. forum is a great resource if you're looking for information about multiple places at the same time, or if you have a general question that's not specific to a certain state. I like to scope it out and join in on some of the discussions there. I've asked a few questions there and have gotten good answers. And it can help you narrow your issue down to one or two states, and you can then post a follow-up question in those states' forums.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:50 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,364,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I post here because its neither a 100% right wing, nor a 100% left wing site. Makes for more interesting conversations at times.
More so center-left and center-right folks.

Very few people from the "dissident right" on here, like you would see on Youtube comments or ZeroHedge for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies