Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 01:24 PM

11,510 posts, read 6,021,967 times

Advertisements

I am here to research potential places to retire because I am sick of living in California almost my entire life. I have always wanted to live on the east coast, so I am here to find my new home now that I am free.

After my permanent move, I will be here to research places to visit and vacation. And if I hate my new city, then I will be researching how to fix that mistake.

When I hit "new posts", I am shocked to see so many threads filling the page from "Politics and controversies." There are so many forums to argue politics, it is confusing why people would come to a city research forum to do that. Not that is wrong or should change. I get sucked into some of the threads myself. It is like crack sometimes. But I have several other forums where I get my hard news, do research on current events, and discuss politics with others.

So why HERE? Why are the political threads here so dominant and the discussion of cities are so few and far between? Is it that Covid 19 has everybody stuck so nobody is moving or traveling, so there is nothing better to do right now? Or is politics always the top issue here?

Why are you here instead of on a site full of political junkies? I am confused. I don't mind it in the least, I am just confused why THIS website has so many political discussions going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 01:37 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,620 times
You posted this in the Politics and other controversies section

Old 06-29-2020, 01:41 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am here to research potential places to retire because I am sick of living in California almost my entire life. I have always wanted to live on the east coast, so I am here to find my new home now that I am free.

After my permanent move, I will be here to research places to visit and vacation. And if I hate my new city, then I will be researching how to fix that mistake.

When I hit "new posts", I am shocked to see so many threads filling the page from "Politics and controversies." There are so many forums to argue politics, it is confusing why people would come to a city research forum to do that. Not that is wrong or should change. I get sucked into some of the threads myself. It is like crack sometimes. But I have several other forums where I get my hard news, do research on current events, and discuss politics with others.

So why HERE? Why are the political threads here so dominant and the discussion of cities are so few and far between? Is it that Covid 19 has everybody stuck so nobody is moving or traveling, so there is nothing better to do right now? Or is politics always the top issue here?

Why are you here instead of on a site full of political junkies? I am confused. I don't mind it in the least, I am just confused why THIS website has so many political discussions going.
I think this is an outlet for more right wing people to voice their opinions. Reddit seems to be overwhelmed by leftist kids. That old confirmation bias thing.

I'm a leftist but my opinions on the protests and riots going on, and the social media witch hunt mentality that is going along with it, has me falling more in line with the conservatives here. Every post I make on reddit saying that the reaction to the Floyd situation is excessive is down-voted into oblivion.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:50 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
Quote:
I am here to research potential places to retire because I am sick of living in California almost my entire life.
My default bookmark for City Data is the California Forum. There are also forums for Retirement, Rural Town Living, etc. You can go to the State Forums for places you are considering retiring.

You never, ever have to come to the Politics Forum.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:53 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
I post here because its neither a 100% right wing, nor a 100% left wing site. Makes for more interesting conversations at times.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
I think people are missing the OP's point. The VOLUME of posts in the P+C forum outweighs those in other forums substantially. Reminds me of how many ex-pats post on the Long Island sub-forum under NY because the forums in their areas are totally dead.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:02 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,361,186 times
Quote:

It's funny, isn't it? I've wondered the same thing. This is supposed to be a forum about places but the political discussion dominates. And it's a self-perpetuating phenomenon because the feed gives so many political threads to choose from and so few of the other threads.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:07 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:

Take this up in the General U. S. forum where people talk about pros and cons of places to live in the U. S. There is also a city vs city forum. If you look further into the subjects of this entire enormous forum, you won't begin to have enough time to keep up with it.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:23 PM

469 posts, read 467,990 times
Quote:

Have you tried posting your questions in any of the individual state forums? I do agree with you about the dominance of political posts in the New Posts section. Some of the more populated states get the most posts so if you are contemplating a move to a state that isn't heavily populated you will probably see few new posts in those state forums That doesn't mean that someone won't respond to any questions you post, though. There are lots of lurkers who may respond. There are many helpful people on the CD forums. Good luck to you.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:26 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,525,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I post here because its neither a 100% right wing, nor a 100% left wing site. Makes for more interesting conversations at times.
lol @ thinking this site is not right leaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies