Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 06:43 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
If you're not fine, then you take the steps necessary to feel safe. You can't hold us hostage anymore, sorry. We're going to live our lives, go to parties, go to crowded places, and all without masks.

What you said doesn't make sense, nor addresses what I wrote. Don't use fancy words like "inverse correlation" to hide when you don't understand something.

If testing were random, truly random, we would expect it to rise proportionally (linearly) with increased testing. If 5% of the people were infected, and your sample pool was truly random and 100, you'd expect to find 5 + results. Now if you test 200, you expect to get 10+ results.

But testing is not truly random. There are a lot of factors going on, but one is we have extensive contact tracing. We expect the more tests done to people surrounding + people to have a higher % of + results than if those tests were done randomly.

So for example, if you randomly test 100 people, and discover 5 results, and then you find 50 people those 5 were in close contact with, and test those 50 people, you wouldn't expect to 2-3 infected people (5%), but something a lot more. So your positivity rate went up, but not from community spread, but from smarter testing employing contact tracing.

Either way, I'm not concerned, I live in Miami Beach, and to me everything is fine. The apocalypse you're reading about doesn't exist.
I don't believe that. Sounds like you live in Cairo, not Miami Beach because you're swimming in DeNile. Miami Dade County and nearby Broward County are the two hardest hit Floridian counties. Maybe you don't see or know anyone that have it but you will in weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 06:47 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't believe that. Sounds like you live in Cairo, not Miami Beach because you're swimming in DeNile. Miami Dade County and nearby Broward County are the two hardest hit Floridian counties. Maybe you don't see or know anyone that have it but you will in weeks.
Not only do I not see, but basically no one around me sees it anyways. I guess unless you're working in Jackson.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:55 PM

407 posts, read 123,143 times
Quote:
If you're not fine, then you take the steps necessary to feel safe. You can't hold us hostage anymore, sorry. We're going to live our lives, go to parties, go to crowded places, and all without masks.
You are the one who chose this situation via your support for the most science illiterate president in American history. I haven't done this. Your dumb arse party has done this and you continue with the stupidity. In the end it's also not about me personally feeling safe, but my kids being able to attend school and our lives being disrupted in that way. It's insane.

Quote:
What you said doesn't make sense, nor addresses what I wrote. Don't use fancy words like "inverse correlation" to hide when you don't understand something.
LOL ya know, bub, after all I am a scientist and inverse correlations are a thing and that's the thing you are talking about. Sorry if the language isn't to your liking, but that's what it's called and I didn't invent the language.

Trump said increase testing = increase positive rates. That's a linear correlation. In reality, and according to you as well in one of your statements, increased testing will give a decrease in positive rates. That's an inverse (opposite) correlation, which makes total sense.

Quote:
If testing were random, truly random, we would expect it to rise proportionally (linearly) with increased testing. If 5% of the people were infected, and your sample pool was truly random and 100, you'd expect to find 5 + results. Now if you test 200, you expect to get 10+ results.
I don't see how this is possible when only 3-5% of tests are positive to begin with. What you are suggesting is simply not possible unless the infection rate is 100% all the time.

Quote:
But testing is not truly random. There are a lot of factors going on, but one is we have extensive contact tracing. We expect the more tests done to people surrounding + people to have a higher % of + results than if those tests were done randomly.

So for example, if you randomly test 100 people, and discover 5 results, and then you find 50 people those 5 were in close contact with, and test those 50 people, you wouldn't expect to 2-3 infected people (5%), but something a lot more. So your positivity rate went up, but not from community spread, but from smarter testing employing contact tracing.

Either way, I'm not concerned, I live in Miami Beach, and to me everything is fine. The apocalypse you're reading about doesn't exist.
OMG. Serious question. Is this what you learned in statistics? Not claiming any expertise on my end, but one of use are seriously screwing up in our jobs. Are you really saying that the more pregnancy tests you administer the more pregnant women you'll find in a linear fashion? Yes?

Old 07-15-2020, 08:35 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,881,674 times
Ok, I like numbers - and I'm confused:

only 3-5% of tests are positive to begin with

RIght. That means if you test 100 people, 3 or 4 or 5 people are positive.

Or if you test 1000 people, 30 or 40 or 50 people are positive....right?

So if 5% of the population were infected - meaning in Florida, population, 21 million - it means about 1 million people are infected. So if you test 10K...500 are positive. And if you test 100K..5000 are positive...alllll the way til you test 21 Million...and 1 million are positive. Right?

Old 07-15-2020, 09:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Not only do I not see, but basically no one around me sees it anyways. I guess unless you're working in Jackson.
You may not yet, but you will. A friend and co-worker's roommate got it. I just told my supervisor that I cannot work at the moment. She gave us the opportunity to say yes or no to continue to work for the last 7 days of our camp. I only did due to my parents whom I live with due to health issues. She thanked me for my work and hopes to work with me again, as do I.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:24 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,668,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
a Fox investigation reported by Breitbart. Can you link a non-biased source please?

Go after the source when you don't want to discuss the topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
oh yeah, breitbert, uh huh....

Go after the source when you don't want to discuss the topic.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:30 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
a Fox investigation reported by Breitbart. Can you link a non-biased source please?
Can you ?

What liberal media wouldn't you accept as some fact finder ? You can't goggle it b/c Google is bias !!!

Old 07-16-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax_G View Post
LOL ya know, bub, after all I am a scientist and inverse correlations are a thing and that's the thing you are talking about.
You're a scientist? Really? In what?

Inverse correlation is not what I'm talking about. Inverse relation means if one variable increases the other decreases. We're not talking about that.

Quote:
Sorry if the language isn't to your liking, but that's what it's called and I didn't invent the language.
You don't know what it means.

Quote:
Trump said increase testing = increase positive rates. That's a linear correlation. In reality, and according to you as well in one of your statements, increased testing will give a decrease in positive rates. That's an inverse (opposite) correlation, which makes total sense.
No, my example of how increased testing can lead to increase positivity rates via contact tracing. Not doing so well for a supposed scientist, are ya?

Quote:
I don't see how this is possible when only 3-5% of tests are positive to begin with. What you are suggesting is simply not possible unless the infection rate is 100% all the time.
This is gibberish.

Quote:
OMG. Serious question. Is this what you learned in statistics? Not claiming any expertise on my end, but one of use are seriously screwing up in our jobs. Are you really saying that the more pregnancy tests you administer the more pregnant women you'll find in a linear fashion? Yes?
If you were to test the female population at random, the more women you test, the more pregnancies you'd find, but you'd expect the rate to stay stable unless you weren't testing randomly or perhaps women were changing their procreation habits during the course of the testing. This is common sense. But for some reason a "literate scientist" is not keeping up.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You may not yet, but you will. A friend and co-worker's roommate got it. I just told my supervisor that I cannot work at the moment. She gave us the opportunity to say yes or no to continue to work for the last 7 days of our camp. I only did due to my parents whom I live with due to health issues. She thanked me for my work and hopes to work with me again, as do I.
Ok, then I will. If coronavirus is anywhere as widespread as they claim, it's not going away. And I'm done running away from it. I will live my life, and let fate take over when I catch it.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:41 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,881,674 times
and let fate take over when I catch it.

Sort of. Except it's not about (just) you. It's about all the other people you affect. They don't want their fate in your hands and vice-versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies