Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 07:54 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The number of cases wasn't out of whack -- the positivity rate was.

Not surprising Florida is screwed up -- it's run by a Republican Governor.

Shameful.
10 of the 12 states with the highest death rates are run by Democrats. The other two, MA and MD, are heavily Democratic states. There is not a single Republican state run by a Republican governor with a death rate higher than the national average.

BTW, Florida's death rate is less than half the national average and 1/8th of New York state's rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 07:54 AM

407 posts, read 123,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
then the rate would be ~1.3%

Fla total positives....... ~288,000
Fla population ~ 22,000,000

22,000,000 X 1.3% = 286,000
Yes, that is the case and they really need to slow it down.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:01 AM

407 posts, read 123,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementia Joe B View Post
Massachusetts has the third highest death total in the entire country, third to only New York and New Jersey. Massachusetts has the highest death rate in the entire country, based on population.
Exactly. We were the epicenter for a while. Our death rate is like 7-8%. We cannot take any chances. While we might have lower positives today, that could change quickly. I think that is why some of us take this whole thing more seriously.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:02 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,659,336 times
Quote:
then the rate would be ~1.3% positives

Fla total positives....... ~288,000
Fla population ~ 22,000,000

22,000,000 X 1.3% = 286,000

Florida Department of Health is reporting 18.31% positives..which gives the impression almost 20% of the population is positive
Wouldn’t this assume everyone not tested is negative?

the percentage of positive test from all tested is a better stat.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:19 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't think the positivity rate was brought up when NY had hundreds of deaths a day and ICU's overwhelmed. But Florida is Trump country and this of course is a Fox News investigation so the deflection to "the case count is wrong" or the death rate is low. That of course ignores the rather large problem they have with this virus.
no, it's not a fox news investigation

c'mon folks. this isn't that hard.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:27 AM

18,469 posts, read 8,298,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Wouldn’t this assume everyone not tested is negative?

the percentage of positive test from all tested is a better stat.
the point was...."people are only looking at the number of positives"

...and not the percentage of positives

Old 07-15-2020, 08:29 AM

18,469 posts, read 8,298,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't think the positivity rate was brought up when NY had hundreds of deaths a day and ICU's overwhelmed. But Florida is Trump country and this of course is a Fox News investigation so the deflection to "the case count is wrong" or the death rate is low. That of course ignores the rather large problem they have with this virus.
when confronted with it.....Florida Department of Health admitted they knew about.....admitted they were still doing it....admitted they knew it was wrong....and admitted they didn't tell anyone

Old 07-15-2020, 10:10 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax_G View Post
From my POV I don't know if any number of positives per day is acceptable. In MA we have 200+/day. Not low enough. Forget thousands per day.
It is if you want to massage the data into not being as bad as it is. I mean regardless 15K positives per day is unacceptable. Hell, Arizona's 3,000 positives which is our typical number due to labs being late to send data in. I do think this will be until the 12 day Maryville testing blitz starts this weekend. Florida's big issue is as oppose to Arizona, there are quite a few metro areas. Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Tallahassee, even Daytona to an extent. Miami-Dade is the current hotspot county regardless of what metric you look at. I think the Maryville blitz will be interesting as they expect 48 hour turn around time and in a minority heavy area similar to Miami-Dade county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
10 of the 12 states with the highest death rates are run by Democrats. The other two, MA and MD, are heavily Democratic states. There is not a single Republican state run by a Republican governor with a death rate higher than the national average.

BTW, Florida's death rate is less than half the national average and 1/8th of New York state's rate.
Yes and those states were hit early before we had treatment plans and had drugs to use. I mean Arizona, Florida, Texas were hit with surges 3 months after the initial wave that took the eastern seaboard and New Orleans. California has had some surges off and on as well. Mind you, Orange County (the county that is going all in person schooling in California) is a Los Angeles suburb and a pretty widely known conservative district.

Quote:
Massachusetts has the third highest death total in the entire country, third to only New York and New Jersey. Massachusetts has the highest death rate in the entire country, based on population.
Yes off of an initial wave. I wouldn't be surprised if Florida, Texas or California tops it soon. The only way it doesn't is if we have more asymptomatic spread and better treatments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax_G View Post
Exactly. We were the epicenter for a while. Our death rate is like 7-8%. We cannot take any chances. While we might have lower positives today, that could change quickly. I think that is why some of us take this whole thing more seriously.
Maricopa County in AZ was for sometime, then Miami-Dade County took the epicenter title about a week, week and a half ago. All depends when and where the theoretic Covid timebomb goes off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no, it's not a fox news investigation

c'mon folks. this isn't that hard.
No but it is a Fox affiliate. Fox typically owns their affiliates. I know the one by me (Fox 10 Arizona) has conservative hacks. One main anchor claimed #RedForEd was trying to push marijuana legalization onto the ballot since Colorado used marijuana legalization taxes to support education. This was entirely baseless. Another when I thought KTAR wasn't full of hacks (this happened in the last year when they changed anchors) was one of a few partisan hacks that were regular on Mondays for the drive-time afternoon program.

Quote:
the point was...."people are only looking at the number of positives"

...and not the percentage of positives
If the labs aren't told to include test amounts, how can you go by that? Gov. De Santis should have told labs to report it from the get go. I think Arizona had some similar issues too earlier on too. Now their issues is testing supply not meeting demand whether you talk limitations or temperatures. The last week we have been over 110 just about 5 out of 7 days. Can't do much of the car testing with that, even with a good stock of nasal swabs and vials.

Quote:
when confronted with it.....Florida Department of Health admitted they knew about.....admitted they were still doing it....admitted they knew it was wrong....and admitted they didn't tell anyone
That is a government issue then...

Old 07-15-2020, 10:17 AM

16,604 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Well, DeSantis appointed Rivkees, head of the DoH.

You saying DeSantis is out to get Trump?

It's good old government incompetence...nothing more. As bipartisan as it gets and been going on since time immemorial.
I do not have anywhere near the information needed to access whether there is any political motivation behind the erroneously reported positive results.

However, we have seen examples of kooks within government agencies doing things to undermine those whom they perceive as their ideological enemies. Thus the results could have been to target DeSantis and/or Trump.
It could also be to help keep the economy from getting restarted, all in an effort to help defeat Trump in November.

That is purely speculation at this point, however it would not be unprecedented.

`

Old 07-15-2020, 10:33 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
I just find it amazing that some people (politicians especially) from the top 3 states for Covid19 deaths feel they can talk down to states who have far fewer deaths. Cuomo comes to mind specifically.

#BLUELIVESMATTER
Cuomo handled a tough situation as best as he could. He handled things better than Gov. Ducebag of Arizona or Gov. De Santass of Florida who both act like there isn't a problem. De Santass is trying to have in person schooling regardless of how bad Miami-Dade County gets with cases. Get your head out of the sand and stop being partisan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies