Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2020, 02:07 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Another anti-science group of fringe lunatics that think science is what they want it to be instead of proper data. Organizations preaching this anti-American communist rhetoric are dangerous and ought to be shut down, their properties seized, the people imprisoned. McCarthy and the HUAC were right, we had our chance to shut down subversives like this decades ago, and we didn't.
Wow.

Old 11-15-2020, 02:07 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Plenty that could be done, just too many people who refuse to comply.

I wasn't around for World War II but I've read quite a bit about all the rationing and shortages. Are we that much weaker than Americans were then? Why won't people just pull together and suck it up for the good of the country?

Yes we are. LOL. Far weaker. Hitler would have won and we would be speaking German now if this America was around in the 40s. We can't even follow simple mask mandates and sacrifice in the least bit.

Old 11-15-2020, 02:08 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
Quote:

I wasn't around for World War II but I've read quite a bit about all the rationing and shortages. Are we that much weaker than Americans were then? Why won't people just pull together and suck it up for the good of the country?
Uh, maybe because there is no real endgame? You have some people now saying restrictions need to continue even after a vaccine

And didn’t the covert predictions millions of deaths originally?

Old 11-15-2020, 02:10 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Uh, maybe because there is no real endgame? You have some people now saying restrictions need to continue even after a vaccine

And didn’t the covert predictions millions of deaths originally?
Millions of deaths if nothing changed- no restrictions, masks, social distancing, etc. Hospitals overrun and people dying at home.

Is that the outcome you'd like to see?

Old 11-15-2020, 02:12 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
It's been a consistent flow in the Trump administration as all them have been incompetent to doing anything that has benefited the country let alone when there's a pandemic.

Thank goodness President Biden will soon take back the country in a positive manner and reinstate what this country is all about.

So pathetic the number of lives that have been lost on Trump's watch. America will never forget what he has done.
What is Biden’s plan

Enact martial law and force proper to stay home?

Enact unconstitutional mask mandates?

Use mass surveillance to “contact trace”?

Please explain

Old 11-15-2020, 02:13 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Millions of deaths if nothing changed- no restrictions, masks, social distancing, etc. Hospitals overrun and people dying at home.

Is that the outcome you'd like to see?

Millions? Where are you getting this?

Old 11-15-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I don’t know what they are basing this on. We’e seeing cases and even hospitalizations going up but deaths are not rising in the same way they were during our first wave.
Increased hospitalizations could lead to deaths due to staff shortages/medical facilities being overwhelmed.

I agree that this projection may be a bit high though.

February 29th - 1st death
November 14th - 251,259 deaths

260 days

966.4 deaths per day.

106 days until March 1st

106 X 966.4 = 102,438

102,438 + 251,259 = 353,697

So that is about 87K less deaths than the projection.

Still, it's an awful lot of dead folks over a "hoax". It's the equivalent of eviscerating the city of Anaheim.

Bye bye Mickey.

Old 11-15-2020, 02:21 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
Nothing short of pathetic.

Quote:
You'll never convince some people.

Reading more reports from doctors and nurses in the midwest whose patients are still insisting the whole thing is a hoax, even up to the point they have to intubate them. They're having to bring police in because people cause violent scenes when asked to wear masks in doctors' offices and hospitals.

I know a family of eight in one household all sick with covid now. They knew it was real but didn't think it should stop them from traveling and going out with family and friends. Glad I never took my friend uo on her offer to go out for lunch.

Old 11-15-2020, 02:25 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Not really much can be done. (or else the EU must be stupid, as their per capita rates are quite similar to ours). Our fates were sealed once some cultures decided eating bats was a good idea.

I'm not against masks, wore one today, as I respect the rights of any business to choose the rules, and the places I went to require it. That will Not stop the spread in such a large, diverse nation where life must also go on. People need to work. In many instances, such as the restaurant and stores I went to, that requires people to work, in close proximity to each other.

This is not in any politicians control, nor our nation's control. A few years ago, I started thinking how lucky we were to grow up, unlike prior generations, w/o a pandemic. Our luck ran out when folks decided bats was "good eatin". In a world with significant international travel, that's all it took.

We are, and will always be, a fragile species.

Old 11-15-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Not really much can be done. (or else the EU must be stupid, as their per capita rates are quite similar to ours). Our fates were sealed once some cultures decided eating bats was a good idea.

I'm not against masks, wore one today, as I respect the rights of any business to choose the rules, and the places I went to require it. That will Not stop the spread in such a large, diverse nation where life must also go on. People need to work. In many instances, such as the restaurant and stores I went to, that requires people to work, in close proximity to each other.
I answered your per capita question in the other thread.

It was quite an interesting exercise. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies