Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 03:06 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times

Advertisements

Finally!! Common sense prevails!! Thank you OP!! We just need the REST of the Democrats to WAKE UP before it's too late!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 03:08 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadsnsunshine View Post
Do you also condemn the democrat politicians who refuse to address inner city violence, like Chicago and NYC lately? How do you think defunding or abolishing the police will help?

The problem with anitifa is they consider anyone they disagree with as a fascist and it's a pretty flexible definition
I actually think Democrats do try to address urban violence. Maybe not all those ideas are effective, but I think a lot of the social programs they do are specifically about trying to tackle those types of issues. I respect them for trying, versus Republicans who seemingly would have every poor person die in the streets.

But addressing those urban issues ties into the debate about police. Most city budgets are overwhelmingly lopsided to law enforcement. Law enforcement budgets typically are far more than all other expenses combined, from health care to education. We're not investing in our neighborhoods, our people. We're only investing in punishing them. That's not a proactive strategy, that's reactive and solves nothing.

I don't know if Antifa is actually organized enough to have any core views. There is no national organization, no leadership structure, etc. It's like a loose collection of ideas at best that gets assigned to the umbrella of "antifa". I also think people just assume something is Antifa whenever there is some kind of protest.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:11 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
Quote:
I'm not looking for an excuse to vote for Trump if that is what you mean. I'm saying I am someone who has voted for moderate dems most of my life who is more of a moderate myself and I don't like the direction the left is heading in.
But it seems like all of the criticisms you have brought up were directly from the Republican playbook- criticisms of Antifa, talk about destroying cities, whataboutism regarding urban violence, vague fear about them moving too far left, etc. You've not brought up one actual Democratic policy position. It would be a whole lot easier to have a real conversation if the debate wasn't entirely about propaganda.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:33 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Somehow I knew you would dismiss the links after demanding evidence.

Yet people demand I engage seriously here as if it's going to make any difference.
So a politician making an "unconfirmed claim" is "evidence?" I don't think that word means what you think it means.

But you have no business accusing others of buying into propaganda, that's fer sure.

Last edited by fat lou; 07-16-2020 at 03:46 PM..

Old 07-16-2020, 03:35 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
And you know all these people are leftists how? Did you interview them and ask their party affiliations? You have no links or sources to support your assertions.
Yeah - you're right... the fake conservative Lincoln Project is out there - even though they are not throwing a tantrum...

There may be people on the right who oppose Trump - but they aren't throwing a tantrum.

When toddlers throw a tantrum, they kick, scream, and destroy stuff with the hope that the parent will see all of the commotion and relent. Either that, or it's just pure rage from not getting their way.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:36 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
I've voted democrat most of my life and I've spent the last 3.5 years being as disgusted with Trump as anyone. These last few months though have taken what seemed like background noise about the radical left and amplified it into a loud, blaring wake-up call. The left in America has completely lost it's mind. It consists of either far left radicals or people who may be center left but apologize or enable far left radicals.

One of the new catchphrases we've been hearing is "Silence is Violence". This is meant to suggest that if you are silent on racism, you are complicit in the violence it causes. The irony of that statement is so ridiculous that it serves as a perfect example of the current leftist insanity!

- Someone who is silent or not vocal enough in denouncing racism is complicit in violence committed by others.
- Meanwhile, people who are LITERALLY engaging in REAL violence, burning cities, attacking and killing people, occupying parts of cities, etc are apologized for and enabled. Their bail is paid for and they are not held to account by the left for their actions.

So in the left's view. If I stay home, pay my taxes, follow the law, act like a responsible citizen and decline to participate in BLM protests or activism, I am more evil and contemptible than someone who is out burning cities, tearing down public statues and assaulting or killing people! Can you see why this is no longer my party?

However, that is not the reason why I brought up "Silence is Violence". I brought it up to turn it around and aim it back at the left. Your silence on what is happening to YOUR party makes YOU complicit as well.

I'm done with the left! I can't vote for Trump but I won't vote Dem either. Actually, as bad as I thought Trump was, the left in the last few months has horrified my more than the 3.5 years we've just suffered through. I never thought the term "defund or abolish" the police would be taken seriously. I never thought I'd see my own countrymen tearing down our statues and defacing our history. I never thought freedom of speech and ideas would erode to the point that it has in our media and universities.

The left champions itself as the party of science yet it will immediately silence and denounce any scientist that might contradict some of the left's sacred cows.
- We've seen it for decades now with climate change where any non-alarmist scientist is shunned and silenced.
- We see it with gender, where DNA no longer determines if you are male or female, your FEELINGS do!
- We see it with statistics on police arrests that show that racism is not the systemic problem it is being made out to be.
- We see it with Covid-19 and denigrating the effictiveness of Hydroxychlorquine simply to spite Trump who had advocated for it.
- We see it with people saying with a straight face, that mass protests and rioting are not a concern for spreading covid after we've just been told mass gatherings were bad and we could not see loved ones in their final moments in the hospital. We could not hold proper funerals but George Floyd had about THREE of them that were fit for a head of state!

Then we have the insanity of Cancel Culture, where you can have your life ruined by something you said 15 years ago.

This is a world where we have leftist professors in our universities saying the most racist, sexist things you can imagine with no shame or apology but if you tweet "blue lives matter" or simply say you approve of the duly elected president of United States as the CEO of Goya did, you deserve to be cancelled, boycotted and shamed.

This is a world where a children's cartoon like Paw Patrol is cancelled as offensive or triggering but the most vile gangster rap is condoned and celebrated.

This is a world where it's absolutely acceptable to be racist as long as it's towards white people. We call unpleasant white women "Karens" without any sense of shame or irony! Can you imagine if we had a represenative African American name for unpleasant black women? Can you imagine the media running article after article about the latest example of a "Shanice" behaving badly?
Can you imagine a bestselling book called Black fragilty or Asian fragility?
Can you imagine workshops to reduce your blackness?

It seems like the radical left wants to tear down the system. What do they plan on replacing it with? We had the opportunity to see this in action with CHOP/CHAZ and it ended as badly as you would expect. We are supposed to want to try this on a national level?

Our system is not perfect and it can be improved but tearing it all down and expecting whatever is cobbled together in place of it to work BETTER is just shear insanity that any thinking, rational adult should reject immediately.
I don't care about the politics of this post but the bold made me laugh out loud. Thank you for that

Old 07-16-2020, 03:37 PM

8,343 posts, read 2,969,036 times
Quote:
As I don't think you're a real person- or at least not the person you claim to be- why should I waste my time? It's not going to make any difference, is it? Even on the very off chance you are who you say you are, the fact that you so easily have bought into every bit of Republican propaganda suggests I'm not going to have any influence either way.

Am I wrong?
Why should he care?

Old 07-16-2020, 03:39 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
I've voted democrat most of my life and I've spent the last 3.5 years being as disgusted with Trump as anyone. These last few months though have taken what seemed like background noise about the radical left and amplified it into a loud, blaring wake-up call. The left in America has completely lost it's mind. It consists of either far left radicals or people who may be center left but apologize or enable far left radicals.

One of the new catchphrases we've been hearing is "Silence is Violence". This is meant to suggest that if you are silent on racism, you are complicit in the violence it causes. The irony of that statement is so ridiculous that it serves as a perfect example of the current leftist insanity!

- Someone who is silent or not vocal enough in denouncing racism is complicit in violence committed by others.
- Meanwhile, people who are LITERALLY engaging in REAL violence, burning cities, attacking and killing people, occupying parts of cities, etc are apologized for and enabled. Their bail is paid for and they are not held to account by the left for their actions.

So in the left's view. If I stay home, pay my taxes, follow the law, act like a responsible citizen and decline to participate in BLM protests or activism, I am more evil and contemptible than someone who is out burning cities, tearing down public statues and assaulting or killing people! Can you see why this is no longer my party?

However, that is not the reason why I brought up "Silence is Violence". I brought it up to turn it around and aim it back at the left. Your silence on what is happening to YOUR party makes YOU complicit as well.

I'm done with the left! I can't vote for Trump but I won't vote Dem either. Actually, as bad as I thought Trump was, the left in the last few months has horrified my more than the 3.5 years we've just suffered through. I never thought the term "defund or abolish" the police would be taken seriously. I never thought I'd see my own countrymen tearing down our statues and defacing our history. I never thought freedom of speech and ideas would erode to the point that it has in our media and universities.

The left champions itself as the party of science yet it will immediately silence and denounce any scientist that might contradict some of the left's sacred cows.
- We've seen it for decades now with climate change where any non-alarmist scientist is shunned and silenced.
- We see it with gender, where DNA no longer determines if you are male or female, your FEELINGS do!
- We see it with statistics on police arrests that show that racism is not the systemic problem it is being made out to be.
- We see it with Covid-19 and denigrating the effictiveness of Hydroxychlorquine simply to spite Trump who had advocated for it.
- We see it with people saying with a straight face, that mass protests and rioting are not a concern for spreading covid after we've just been told mass gatherings were bad and we could not see loved ones in their final moments in the hospital. We could not hold proper funerals but George Floyd had about THREE of them that were fit for a head of state!

Then we have the insanity of Cancel Culture, where you can have your life ruined by something you said 15 years ago.

This is a world where we have leftist professors in our universities saying the most racist, sexist things you can imagine with no shame or apology but if you tweet "blue lives matter" or simply say you approve of the duly elected president of United States as the CEO of Goya did, you deserve to be cancelled, boycotted and shamed.

This is a world where a children's cartoon like Paw Patrol is cancelled as offensive or triggering but the most vile gangster rap is condoned and celebrated.

This is a world where it's absolutely acceptable to be racist as long as it's towards white people. We call unpleasant white women "Karens" without any sense of shame or irony! Can you imagine if we had a represenative African American name for unpleasant black women? Can you imagine the media running article after article about the latest example of a "Shanice" behaving badly?
Can you imagine a bestselling book called Black fragilty or Asian fragility?
Can you imagine workshops to reduce your blackness?

It seems like the radical left wants to tear down the system. What do they plan on replacing it with? We had the opportunity to see this in action with CHOP/CHAZ and it ended as badly as you would expect. We are supposed to want to try this on a national level?

Our system is not perfect and it can be improved but tearing it all down and expecting whatever is cobbled together in place of it to work BETTER is just shear insanity that any thinking, rational adult should reject immediately.
A lot of us don't like Trump, but he sure beat the alternative in Clinton, who was as slimy as they come. If people want real change, we should all band together, liberals and conservatives and those in the middle, band together and eliminate lobbying, eliminate corporations calling all the shots and dodging taxes, eliminate the 2 party system and eliminate politics from our news sources.

These are things that if 360 million of us got behind, we could change and better the country...

Old 07-16-2020, 03:41 PM

8,343 posts, read 2,969,036 times
Quote:
Donald Trump, by himself, has more than 17,000 documented lies during his presidency. So let's not pretend like you all care about honesty. You only care about who is doing the lying.
Over 17,000 documented lies by TDS here on CD since ‘16.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:46 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
Thank you OP! Only 44 Million rotten Democrats to go! Not counting of course all the illegal alien votes, dead person votes, multiple fraud mail in votes, cat votes and dog votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies