Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 12:50 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Then give your best shots to DeBlasio. I'm sure all of the NYC public school parents will appreciate your grass roots efforts since you seem to have such a clear understanding and can speak for what is best for the 1.1M students currently enrolled.
I don't live in NYC. NYC's residents have to do so. What we DO know for sure is that one of the greatest tragedies of this situation is that it will be the poor, special ed, and ESL students who are hurt the most by the left's insistence on keeping B&M schools closed.

Lefties/Dems, consider very carefully whether that's a desirable result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 12:52 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,257,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I don't live in NYC. NYC's residents have to do so. What we DO know for sure is that one of the greatest tragedies of this situation is that it will be the poor, special ed, and ESL students who are hurt the most by the left's insistence on keeping B&M schools closed.

Lefties/Dems, consider very carefully whether that's a desirable result.
I'll be following the Illinois news looking for your work in action.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:54 PM

8,154 posts, read 3,682,802 times
Quote:
You've seen the MSM reports that labs/hospitals are inflating and otherwise misreporting positive COVID-19 results, no?
Yeah, I'm sure that explains everything

TX: 7-fold increase in Covid hospitalizations since Memorial day: from 1500 back then to 10500 currently
4-fold increase in daily deaths: from about 25 to close to a 100 (7 day averages)

I'm sure some random reporting error is the reason for the above

Old 07-16-2020, 12:59 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,257,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yeah, I'm sure that explains everything

TX: 7-fold increase in Covid hospitalizations since Memorial day: from 1500 back then to 10500 currently
4-fold increase in daily deaths: from about 25 to close to a 100 (7 day averages)

I'm sure some random reporting error is the reason for the above
Not to take this off topic, but I heard on the news that ICUs were filling up and non ICU beds are being converted. Staff is stretched. This jives with what I've heard from people who live in Orange Cty.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:01 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,098,694 times
We want people to be able to do whatever they want as long as they pay the taxes to fund public schools just like everybody else (even us childless people do). We need an educated population; it is for the good of the whole.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:03 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
...suddenly now wants everyone to homeschool? Hypocrites.
you do realize this is their chance to take over home schooling right?

i mean send the kids home, but keep the power of being "THE SCHOOL"

then why do we need home schooling that isn't government provided?

more power for them.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I'll be following the Illinois news looking for your work in action.
I don't live in IL anymore. Taxed too much. I moved to a lower-tax state.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:20 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,270,200 times
We are against home schooling are kids, but in this situation we have no choice.

Most people have to work for a living. They can’t afford to have one parent home to home school.

Unfortunately because we have no leadership in the White House to contain virus, schools have to shut down. It’s a tragic situation.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:33 PM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
I never heard of the term crayon curriculum. I just googled it and guess what? google hasn't either, at least not on the first pages. Is that what they teach you in home school? No wonder I never heard of it.
I googled it as well, but all I could find was instructions on getting crayon out of fabric. Damn kids ... No wonder "the left" is against homeschooling, if this is what kids are being taught. I am OUTRAGED, I tell you!

Quote:
The vast majority of parents can teach their K-8 children a standard curriculum. High School students are capable of taking classes on line. What topic would you have a problem teaching if you reviewed the text book? For me, it would be Spanish, maybe.
Math. It might all come back to me, but anything beyond basic algebra or geometry would trip me up - hopefully only momentarily.

Quote:
There doesn't need to be a "study" when democrat mayors are publicly stating their cities' schools won't open in the fall.
All of them? Are you keeping a running total of the mayors (who in most cities have little to do with the running of the school districts, anyway) who are saying schools will not reopen, and their political affiliations?

And what do you mean by "won't open"? Does that mean nobody in the school buildings at all? Does that include some sort of hybrid arrangement where some kids will be in the classroom some of the time, and other kids at other times?

Or are you just blowing smoke to cover up the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I notice no evidence that the left is anti homeschooling.
No, and there's not likely to be any from the OP, either. Nevermind that most public schools are crafting some sort of hybrid system, which would technically not be home schooling.

Quote:
Homeschool. The left now suddenly embraces it after opposing it for decades.
Having some kids in school some of the time, and other kids in the classroom on alternate days, is not "home schooling". So much for your "argument".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Anyone notice how the pro-homeschool right suddenly thinks it's imperative for kids to attend school with their peers?
LMAO, you're right!

Quote:
Actually, it's the left electorate that wants their kids to return to B&M schools. Free babysitting, don't you know...
Another blanket ASSumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This thread is nothing more than a feeble attempt at “gotcha.”
And a pretty bad one at that.
Quote:
I wonder if it seemed like the question posed in the OP might be a clever argument.
It wasn’t.
LOL

Quote:
Their mayors are keeping their schools either partially or completely closed in the fall. The constituents are doing nothing to override those decisions.
Why should they? Perhaps they're concerned about their children's health and safety, and the health and safety of the school personnel - teachers, maintenance staff, administrators, aides ... Eh, but who cares about them.

Quote:
Ah... so Dems/left are perfectly fine with disadvantaging the poor, special ed, and ESL students by keeping B&M schools closed or only partially open. Got it.

One of the greatest tragedies of this situation is that it will be the poor, special ed, and ESL students who are hurt the most by the left's insistence on keeping B&M schools closed.
I find it telling that you didn't start crying about "disadvantaging the poor" until someone else brought it up. LOLOLOL

Old 07-16-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I googled it as well, but all I could find was instructions on getting crayon out of fabric. Damn kids ... No wonder "the left" is against homeschooling, if this is what kids are being taught. I am OUTRAGED, I tell you!

Math. It might all come back to me, but anything beyond basic algebra or geometry would trip me up - hopefully only momentarily.

All of them? Are you keeping a running total of the mayors (who in most cities have little to do with the running of the school districts, anyway) who are saying schools will not reopen, and their political affiliations?
Are you? Keep in mind that one of the greatest tragedies of this situation is that it will be the poor, special ed, and ESL students who are hurt the most by the left's insistence on keeping B&M schools closed.

Are you sure you're on board with that form of systemic oppression, lefties/Dems?

Quote:
And what do you mean by "won't open"? Does that mean nobody in the school buildings at all? Does that include some sort of hybrid arrangement where some kids will be in the classroom some of the time, and other kids at other times?
It means kids won't be back in school full-time. Like I said, carefully consider which kids that harms the most. There's already a HUGE race-based achievement gap. Be sure you're on board with worsening that, or if you're a constituent, do something to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies