Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2020, 12:08 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Kent State protesters were throwing rocks at the National Guard troops and injuring them. They got 174.5 grain, copper jacketed, lead projectiles back in response.
Gotta luv the alt-right revisionist history.

When were rocks thrown, and at who? (Hint, a Jeep about an hour before the shootings).

The guardsmen were 300 feet away from the victims. I don't know anyone who can throw anything that far. You seem to be pretty happy to know the specifics of an M1 Garand, but not know the actual facts of the murders of those students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 12:10 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I'm still here. I suppose a good example is the Argentine Dirty War. In Central America they are called Death Squads. We're not there yet, but it's a slippery slope. How long until the Feds feel justified in committing torture on fellow Americans?
I don't support the militarization of police, the Gestapo tactics SOME are employing and I don't support the violence that SOME of the protesters are perpetrating.

Both do damage to their causes, and radicalizes the country.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:11 PM

29,491 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That some demand that the police be better trained and not randomly murder people on the street without consequence is not exactly the same as not allowing them to do their jobs. Nor is it justification for sending in anonymous thugs into American cities to disappear people. WTF is wrong with you? This is straight out of the fascism playbook. We literally have plenty of historic examples of where this stuff leads.
WTF is wrong with you ? Are you blind to what is going on in these cities or just ignorant ? If these people were legitimately just peacefully protesting, not blocking streets, not throwing things at the cops, not looting, not starting fires, not attacking people just trying to drive through, not pulling down statues, not spray painting graffiti, etc.. then none of this would be happening. You are so blind and being lead down a path by a false narrative that you actually believe being on the side that is breaking the law, causing chaos, and hurting innocent people is the right side....SMH, we have to many people in society that have lost all critical thinking skills.

It is mind boggling how some people think this is a rational way to act. Look at all these peaceful protesters...LOL
https://youtu.be/Ep1gwQbP13o

Old 07-18-2020, 12:25 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

When were rocks thrown, and at who? (Hint, a Jeep about an hour before the shootings).

The guardsmen were 300 feet away from the victims. I don't know anyone who can throw anything that far. You seem to be pretty happy to know the specifics of an M1 Garand, but not know the actual facts of the murders of those students.
You are just absolutely clueless, aren't you?

Quote:
Still, Ohio National Guard General Robert Canterbury ordered the protesters to disperse, with the announcement being made by a Kent State police officer riding in a military jeep across the Commons and using a bullhorn to be heard over the crowd. The protesters refused to disperse and began shouting and throwing rocks at the Guardsmen.
https://www.history.com/topics/vietn...state-shooting

And it is even Leftist History Channel telling you.

Last edited by Pilot1; 07-18-2020 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-18-2020, 12:28 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Many on here have been advocating for law and order in Portland for weeks now. Law and order is the most fertile ground for the rights of everyone being protected. Chaos is not. I started a thread on it weeks ago. "What on Earth is Happening in Portland????"

We didn't need a crystal ball to figure out that rampant lawlessness was going to result in bad things happening. And oh no....bad things are happening. As we said they would. That is a consistent view, and it doesn't mean that the bad things are condoned. It means they should have been prevented... a long time ago.

Others are suddenly interested in people's rights 51 days later. That is not consistent.
Virtually no one supports violence. But that is not justification for some secret federal police force doing extrajudicial "justice". Name one time in history where that didn't go badly in the end. Can you? You talk about being scared, but you have no idea just what you're excusing here because you're afraid.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
That is a very naive assumption--that they are protesters. They are what their actions say they are. If they are using weaponry and trying to take over buildings, they are not protesters. They may very well be domestic terrorists. That is for the Feds to figure out. Their actions are consistent with terrorists.

Does a terrorist wear a certain uniform?

And I am not disregarding due process. Where have I done that? I said that people being scooped up off the streets---IF that is what happened--is authoritarian. Something that should not happen if people in charge did their job 51 days ago.

My being terrified was to illustrate the end result of violent actions. Which is normal--and shouldn't be gaslighted.

Added in Edit:
Domestic terrorist:
"The FBI defines domestic terrorism as violent, criminal acts committed by individuals and/or groups to further ideological goals stemming from domestic influences, such as those of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature." Other definitions include violent acts against infrastructure. Like a courthouse maybe?
It doesn't matter what reason is being used to say why it's happening. It's wrong. It's dangerous. It's un-American on every level. The rioting is wrong, but there are so many better ways to handle it- while holding people accountable and maintaining due process- than some secret policing force unaccountable to anyone. This is what they do in dictatorships, in 3rd World banana republics. This is not America.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:36 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

Even with my throwing arm not what it used to be I can throw a fair sized rock 300 feet. Or are you thinking yards? 300 feet isnt that far. Was it Garands? I thought they were using M 14s. Not that it makes any difference.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:37 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Even with my throwing arm not what it used to be I can throw a fair sized rock 300 feet. Or are you thinking yards? 300 feet isnt that far. Was it Garands? I thought they were using M 14s. Not that it makes any difference.

Garands.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh my. If you want to deny the leftist glee at both Waco and Ruby Ridge and deny their defense of federal actions at both places the dishonesty is not mine. After all there was guns , religion (Christian religion) and of course the Weavers views of "White separatism."

As to pointing fingers leftist types LOVE pointing fingers at millions of people they dont know regular like. Firearms owners, supporters of our current president Donald Trump, yowling like hungry coyotes about firearms owners having "blood on our hands" and supporting the president being in support of racism.

Sorry, the left doesn't get a pass from me and I stand by everything I posted. I looked for that into their tanks quote but I cant find it. But Janet Reno did pop up on every search attempt.

And no, I'm certainly not condemning federal deployment in Portland. But unlike the leftists did during Waco and Ruby Ridge (and I still stand by this) I'm NOT cheering. Federal forces having to be deployed is not reason for glee.

Portland is in a state of complete chaos. Arson, assaulting citizens and LE personnel is rampant, looting, destruction and mayhem. Its NOT "peaceful protest" nor is such violent mayhem justified. And the people in charge (supposedly) are letting it happen. It's no longer an issue of Constitutional rights.

Its terrorism, straight up. Leftists weren't a bit concerned about the Constitution at Waco, Ruby Ridge or the Bundy Ranch or at follow on protests in Oregon where federal agents shot three people dead in their vehicle. O e being Cliven Bundys son as I recall.

I didnt imagine the leftist cheering. I will concede perhaps I am being general in using "leftists" without an adjective. One such as radical, far, or some such.

Thing is, those describe the current mainstream of the left and the Democratic party. So, I offer no apologies for that. And I'm not the only one who remembers the thi gs I cited.

I recall recent pro 2A demonstrations, quite peaceful ones in VA where the leftist rhetoric fully supported deployment of federal state and local LE and pushed for the NG as well AHEAD of the fully disclosed and planned event.

Filthy fingers indeed. Tens of thousands of fully armed citizens demonstrated completely peacefully and even cleaned the city after. Hmmm...I see a BIG difference twixt right and left protest methods here. Or am imagining things again. Silly me..
I'm pretty sure almost everything knows that Waco and Ruby Ridge, etc. were disasters for the feds. Who actually believes those results were ideal in any way? You are making claims you can't support and that actually fly in the face of common understanding of what happened.

The fact that you say it's no longer an issue of Constitutional rights is absolutely terrifying. If you are willing to abandon the Constitution when things get bad, then you can't really claim to support it at all. The Constitution matters *the most* when times are tough. It's easy to say you're for law and order when you're not afraid, when you're not challenged. These times reveal who we really are, and if you're willing to abandon the founding principles of our nation because of a relatively small group of protesters, maybe you don't really believe in what the nation stands for at all. No matter what we think of the rioters/protesters, they still deserve due process, just like every right-wing synagogue or Wal-Mart shooter does, because no matter what, we strive to be better and to do what's right even when it's difficult.
Supporting anonymous goon squads as a solution is not representative of the seriousness of the problem, it's representative of a serious lack of imagination on how to handle this.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:43 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Virtually no one supports violence. But that is not justification for some secret federal police force doing extrajudicial "justice". Name one time in history where that didn't go badly in the end. Can you? You talk about being scared, but you have no idea just what you're excusing here because you're afraid.
The federal agents who made arrests are not a "secret federal police force".
The details of the arrests have already been made public.
Do you have any evidence that the detainees were held without legal due process or that "extrajudicial justice" was administered?
Of course you do not.
I remember when the left used to take pride in being the political home of intellectuals.
That has obviously changed. All we hear today is the mindless braying of donkeys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies