Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 03:17 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times

Advertisements

“Our financial position is dire...stemming from substantial declines in mail volume, a broken business model and a management strategy that has not adequately addressed these issues.”

-Postmaster General DeJoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 03:18 PM

7,928 posts, read 3,479,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Isn't it a felony to obtain a fake FISA warrant to wiretap, and spy on a Presidential campaign? I guess afelony is in the eye of the beholder, especially since its the felons doing the hindering.

Perhaps the mailsorting machines were so old, their maintenance costs were overtaking any efficiencies they were providing. Maybe they were breaking down so much, they were slowing down mail delivery?

The fake FISA felony became fact today, but the post office machinery removal is pure speculation.
You can fire up a mob with speculation.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:23 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Also reported today by Brian Williams on MSNBC.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/polit...nes/index.html

Just coincidentally occurring less than 3 months from an election during a pandemic where a record number of votes submitted by mail are expected.
They've also occurred most heavily in high-population states- New York, California, Illinois and Texas, and swing states Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida and Pennsylvania.

Trump is targeting both the popular vote that he lost in 2016, and the swing states for obvious reasons. It's blatant.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:23 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,164,577 times
Do people realize how many plants, carrier routes, collection routes, window clerks, blue collection boxes.... have been removed over the past 25 years? At the beginning of the COVID lockdown we were in the middle of inspections for the next round of my station's route reductions after the ones 5 years ago. In my 25 years that place had gone from 55 to 38 routes as we await more.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:26 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
"The United States Postal Service is reportedly retiring mail sorting machines. According to Postmaster general Louis DeJoy, the agency is in a “dire” financial situation, citing significant falls in mail volume, “a broken business model” and an inadequate management strategy as reasons for the “impending liquidity crisis.” Dejoy has been implementing changes since assuming the role in June, including organizational restructuring and a management hiring freeze, saying they’re meant to “strengthen the Postal Service.”

From this article: https://www.engadget.com/usps-mail-s...160058157.html

It looks like they are restructuring because of their financial situation, which doesn't surprise me, think "email". It actually sounds like this DeJoy may have a clue how to run a business!
Except that even Trump has admitted to the scheme.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:36 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/postal-wo...203218629.html

I don’t care which flavored kool-aid you drink, this seems really problematic.
Fake news. The article didn't quote any workers about the equipment, and it falsely claimed that Trump said he plans to block funding for the USPS so that Democrats can't achieve their goal of expanding mail-in voting. That's a lie that the Left keeps repeating.

Also, as Partenheimer said, did you ever hear of email? There is less mail these days.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:36 PM

11,802 posts, read 5,807,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
No, because it isn’t.
I’ve voted by mail going on eight years with absolutely no issues.

What is an absolute disaster is Trump and his puppet doing everything within their power to sabotage the USPS.
Prior to this stooge being installed, there were no where near the number of delays being seen now.
Sorting machines are being removed. Mail boxes are being removed. Priority mail has been slowed from three-four days to eight-ten.
People are not getting their meds and other critically important items.
It’s a travesty.
Please quit with the lied. Dejoy took office in mid June - there were severe delays in package delivery since March when this whole Covid thing started and online ordering became the norm. My son works for UPS - they've been working 24/7 processing packages and are still behind - is that Trump and DeJoys fault too. I wish people would think with their heads before answering - then again maybe they are and that really frightens me.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
The 671 voting machines are location in "High Population Areas".

Translation: Trump is purposely delaying mail in areas with the largest amount of Democats. He's trying to cherry pick to delay Democrat's votes.
How would that matter, the time to sort is irrelevant, as long as they are postmarked in time, they will get counted. In a close election it may take a week or more to see who won, but the outcome won't change.

There is no excuse to wait until the last day to mail a ballot, when it comes 18 days before the election.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:39 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
There is absolutely no evidence of voter fraud and the federal courts are asking Trump to produce evidence.
Totally wrong.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:45 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,164,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Please quit with the lied. Dejoy took office in mid June - there were severe delays in package delivery since March when this whole Covid thing started and online ordering became the norm. My son works for UPS - they've been working 24/7 processing packages and are still behind - is that Trump and DeJoys fault too. I wish people would think with their heads before answering - then again maybe they are and that really frightens me.
And at the post office really took off with the post riots surge in COVID cases coinciding with it now being prime vacation season. With folks working 12 hours on and off in hard hit areas nobody has started canceling vacation leave.

With all that the official ballots and other election material is a drop in the bucket for what we do. It is the political advertising which demanded the use of pre COVID overtime to keep up.

I put it in a what if thread. But if you are really worried on Monday and election day you can limit the service to just machinable letters that ran through the automated delivery point sequence machines and that way every carrier should be able to get to every delivery point without still being on the street when the last truck leaves.

Ballots collected from homes as well as blue collection boxes would be back to the station in time to meet the dispatch truck, thus no extra trip by a vehicle and driver at overtime or penalty overtime pay rates to meet the new PMG's goal of cutting operating cost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies