Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 03:53 PM

11,791 posts, read 5,798,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
And at the post office really took off with the post riots surge in COVID cases coinciding with it now being prime vacation season. With folks working 12 hours on and off in hard hit areas nobody has started canceling vacation leave.

With all that the official ballots and other election material is a drop in the bucket for what we do. It is the political advertising which demanded the use of pre COVID overtime to keep up.

I put it in a what if thread. But if you are really worried on Monday and election day you can limit the service to just machinable letters that ran through the automated delivery point sequence machines and that way every carrier should be able to get to every delivery point without still being on the street when the last truck leaves.

Ballots collected from homes as well as blue collection boxes would be back to the station in time to meet the dispatch truck, thus no extra trip by a vehicle and driver at overtime or penalty overtime pay rates to meet the new PMG's goal of cutting operating cost
But then you'd have packages that needed to be delivered that weren't delivered. I just talked to our regional district office as a priority mailed 2 weeks ago show in transit - just like it did last week only no scan from a sort facility - he's putting a trace on it.

I don't blame the PO though - you're all hard workers and doing a job not many here would do. I prefer voting at a site and leaving mail in for those at school, overseas or invalids. There is no reason a person can't vote at the polling place. If they need to open more polling places so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 03:53 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Explain how the millions of qualified voters who physically cannot vote in person are going to vote if not by mail ballot. Trump is afraid those voters will make a difference in his butt getting kicked out. Most intelligent republicans say Trump is wrong on this issue.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:56 PM

10,767 posts, read 4,349,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Except that even Trump has admitted to the scheme.
Because he doesn't trust that method of voting, so he has reason to defy it....

Old 08-14-2020, 04:03 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Except that even Trump has admitted to the scheme.
He really is a shyster of the first order....

Old 08-14-2020, 04:03 PM

1,485 posts, read 954,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/postal-wo...203218629.html

I don’t care which flavored kool-aid you drink, this seems really problematic.
Yajoo still not allowing comments.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:04 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
But then you'd have packages that needed to be delivered that weren't delivered. I just talked to our regional district office as a priority mailed 2 weeks ago show in transit - just like it did last week only no scan from a sort facility - he's putting a trace on it.

I don't blame the PO though - you're all hard workers and doing a job not many here would do. I prefer voting at a site and leaving mail in for those at school, overseas or invalids. There is no reason a person can't vote at the polling place. If they need to open more polling places so be it.
When I went on leave after about 6 pay period of going 12 hours and 12 hours 6 days a week thus well over the 60 hour work weeks that we are supposed to be limited to we were at a 5 day backlog of parcels. A couple of folks back from quarantine allowed us to restart the delivery letters 6 days a week to every route for the first time in a three weeks.

The PMG picked a horrible time to hit the ground running with his goal to control cost, but this is only about the election to people who only care about the election. Not a peep was made about any other reduction in equipment from President Clinton's time forward has been made.

I challenge anyone to find a postal union statement saying any PMG did anything good.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:13 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Explain how the millions of qualified voters who physically cannot vote in person are going to vote if not by mail ballot. Trump is afraid those voters will make a difference in his butt getting kicked out. Most intelligent republicans say Trump is wrong on this issue.
How did they vote in the primary. They can do the same now.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:16 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Fake news. The article didn't quote any workers about the equipment, and it falsely claimed that Trump said he plans to block funding for the USPS so that Democrats can't achieve their goal of expanding mail-in voting. That's a lie that the Left keeps repeating.

Also, as Partenheimer said, did you ever hear of email? There is less mail these days.
“I’m not sure you’re going to find an answer for why [the machines being removed] makes sense,” said Iowa Postal Workers Union President Kimberly Karol, “because we haven’t figured that out either.”

Old 08-14-2020, 04:21 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Sorting machines are being removed in HIGH POPULATION (Democrat) areas.

Trump is purposely trying to reduce votes in areas with the highest percentage of Democrats.

Hopefully people drop off their ballots at the elections office drop-box ahead of time, or vote in-person. Or mail their ballot 4 weeks early. Even if sent early, the ballots might be "lost" within the postal system.

I am voting in-person.
I would drop it off and that is what I plan to do even though I am in a Republican area now.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:22 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
You buy that when employees are saying it is unusual? Also, the PM General just came on and said they didn’t have enough capacity to ensure ballot distribution. If that’s the case, why are they taking equipment off line?
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies