Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 10:06 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

As I understand it, it's everywhere. The idea of "containing the virus" is a fallacy.

There's no real need to go through the effort of contract tracing because it's so pervasive that you can't really tell WHERE you got it, for most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 10:07 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
I wonder if this is politically motivated in some way. Not only does this go against their own advice, but it goes against the health advisories of almost every other country. Hmmm
But they change their minds every 4 seconds anyway -- political or not.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:12 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Keeping positivity rates high is a good thing for reopening. If testing is limited to people that are actually sick, then it will show that this really is no different, if not actually better than, normal flu. Seriously, no one has been able to explain why a high positivity rate is a bad thing. Prior to this, all it means is lots of people have it, and since people aren't dying in the streets, it's obviously not that bad. After this, it just means that the people that are sick, are actually sick.
Right, but here’s the thing, positivity rates are calculated by comparing the number of positive tests for the coronavirus with the total number of tests conducted within a 24-hour period.

Example for State A, where the people of the state have been told by the CoVid gurus that schools (and rest of things) should open completely once the the positivity rate is below somewhere between 3-5%. Compare these two scenarios:
The state has been conducting an average of 100 tests a day since tests are hard to get and essentially have to be ordered by a doctor or the health department. The state is getting an average of 7 positive results a day:
- Positivity rate of 7%
The state increases its testing, the contact tracers are notifying anyone the infected person has been in contact with, people can just get the test if they are concerned. The state is now averaging 500 tests a day. The state is getting an average of 10 positive results a day:
- Positivity rate of 2%
So even though you are now catching 3 more confirmed cases a day, your positivity rate has significantly gone down. Additionally, you are no longer able to continue to factor in a case as probable once you get negative results for that case.

This will likely result in the people demanding the schools get back on regular schedule. They will stop being freaked out so much so they will be less compliant with masks. And, finally, all that free flowing crisis money will start drying up. Basically, people will start demanding life start returning to normal.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:04 AM

376 posts, read 103,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Wait....what?!?!?!? I could have sworn we have been told over, and over, and over again that testing was the key to controlling the virus.

Has anyone explained the rationale behind the change? My guess is they want to keep the positivity rates up high, this keeping things shut down.
That's a interesting point. If they only test people with symptoms, then they can artificially increase the positivity rate.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Trump wanted the testing to slow down. I guess he finally bribed the CDC with a cut to get them to confirm it...
Quote:
I wonder if this is politically motivated in some way. Not only does this go against their own advice, but it goes against the health advisories of almost every other country. Hmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Trump has a new leader of the covid-19 counsel and I see he is paying off.

Wonderful.
How come some people claim we have to listen to the experts, as long as they say shut things down, but then have a change of heart when the experts make a decision they don't like? Sounds very political on the part of the left.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:22 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer & Manatee View Post
How come some people claim we have to listen to the experts, as long as they say shut things down, but then have a change of heart when the experts make a decision they don't like? Sounds very political on the part of the left.
Bingo.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:25 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,360 times
Quote:
Interesting, but as we are told, we need to listen to them.

CDC calls for LESS testing

ATLANTA (CBS46) -- The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has changed its Covid-19 testing guidelines. The agency no longer recommends testing for most people without symptoms, even if they've been in close contact with someone known to have the virus.
I think we all deserve an answer as to why this change was made, how it will affect positivity, testing rates, answer questions such as why we would make the general population more vulnerable? We're all smart Americans once educated. Decisions made by government without honest transparent explanations should be deemed unacceptable to us all !
Furthermore I'm very concerned for all Americans when our dept of health vascillates on issues, especially without explanation. Can any of us trust when we are left in the dark? These explanations also are far too often simplified as if the authorities are speaking to 3 year olds. Really, Birx, Fauci, we're all capable of understanding in depth explanations. It's an insult to the intelligence of us all.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:33 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,786,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
As I understand it, it's everywhere. The idea of "containing the virus" is a fallacy.

There's no real need to go through the effort of contract tracing because it's so pervasive that you can't really tell WHERE you got it, for most people.
That was the Obama administration thinking back in H1N1 flu. The numbers hit 60,000,000 and testing was severely reduced and reporting was decreased.

To paraphrase "We already know it's a pandemic..."

Old 08-26-2020, 11:43 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,092 times
Quote:
Because not only is it a complete 180 reversal, which by itself, is already highly questionable, but the explanation for the 180 doesn't make a lick of sense. All they've basically said is, if you don't show any symptoms, you don't need to be tested, which is highly irresponsible and dangerous. If a person has been around someone they know has covid, they ABSOLUTELY NEED TO BE TESTED, lest they spread it to their elderly or middle aged friends, uncles, parents, siblings or grand parents, etc., etc. Political my a**, this is just common sense! What other nation do you know has recommended against testing? LOL The ONLY person dumb enough to do that has been Trump!

Old 08-26-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Because not only is it a complete 180 reversal, which by itself, is already highly questionable, but the explanation for the 180 doesn't make a lick of sense. All they've basically said is, if you don't show any symptoms, you don't need to be tested, which is highly irresponsible and dangerous. If a person has been around someone they know has covid, they ABSOLUTELY NEED TO BE TESTED, lest they spread it to their elderly or middle aged friends, uncles, parents, siblings or grand parents, etc., etc. Political my a**, this is just common sense! What other nation do you know has recommended against testing? LOL The ONLY person dumb enough to do that has been Trump!
We have to listen to the medical experts. The CDC is the medical expert and they have spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies