Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 05:36 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I personally think testing everyone is a huge waste of time, but this is a bad news scenario for those of us who want businesses and schools open.
I don't really see that. Decisions aren't being made by how many people are positive out of the number that are tested. Decisions are being made by how many are positive. This also should eliminate some deaths that are being counted now as if they didn't have symptoms and weren't tested they won't be listed as a covid death.

The only way I could see it hurting the people that want to get back to their lives is if the death rate remains high while the positive covid people is lower. Then the death rate would appear to be going up.

In reading about this I did see a really good argument from the CDC... we know that the corona virus test is about 30% inaccurate. So now people are getting a test, testing negative, and walking around sure they don't have it. While without getting tested they might be more careful not knowing one way or the other. So testing increases the spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 05:40 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
I wonder if this is politically motivated in some way. Not only does this go against their own advice, but it goes against the health advisories of almost every other country. Hmmm
Of course it’s politically motivated.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:12 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
it's to get a groundswell of people so ticked off, that they DEMAND EVERYONE GET TESTED!!!!

And then the politicians will swoop in with mandatory testing.

How do people not see the theatrics of this?????

You
Are
the
Star
of
the
Show

Time to play your part in the theatre of politics. Start yelling you want testing so the politicians can make it mandatory.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:25 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I don't really see that. Decisions aren't being made by how many people are positive out of the number that are tested. Decisions are being made by how many are positive. This also should eliminate some deaths that are being counted now as if they didn't have symptoms and weren't tested they won't be listed as a covid death.

The only way I could see it hurting the people that want to get back to their lives is if the death rate remains high while the positive covid people is lower. Then the death rate would appear to be going up.

In reading about this I did see a really good argument from the CDC... we know that the corona virus test is about 30% inaccurate. So now people are getting a test, testing negative, and walking around sure they don't have it. While without getting tested they might be more careful not knowing one way or the other. So testing increases the spread.
You haven’t been paying attention, because absolutely they are and it is a widespread criteria.
Quote:
On May 12, 2020 the World Health Organization (WHO) advised governments that before reopening, rates of positivity in testing (ie, out of all tests conducted, how many came back positive for COVID-19) of should remain at 5% or lower for at least 14 days.
Quote:
Some states, including Delaware and Oregon, have announced conditions they expect to see before schools can reopen. Oregon Governor Kate Brown said on July 28 that among other requirements, counties must meet two criteria three weeks in a row: a positivity rate of 5 percent or less and 10 or fewer cases per 100,000 residents in the preceding seven days.
Quote:
Seven weeks after Gov. Greg Abbott began allowing businesses to reopen, Texas exceeded another one of his key metrics Wednesday when the seven-day average positivity rate passed 10%, a level that Abbott previously called a “warning flag.”

The positivity rate is the ratio of positive cases to the number of tests conducted. The seven-day average has returned to 10.42%, a level the state hasn’t seen since mid-April, when Texas was under a stay-at-home order. In other words, for the past week, an average of about 1 out of 10 people tested for the coronavirus were positive.
Quote:
"There is no hard cutoff right now, but in general, we like to see positivity rates less than 10% in a community," the Surgeon General said. Currently, at least twelve states have positivity rates higher than 10%, including coronavirus hotspots like Texas, Arizona and Florida.
Quote:
Clark County Public Health is working closely with local superintendents on plans to safely resume in-person education. Public Health will reference the state’s decision tree framework, monitor COVID-19 activity in the community and consider other factors, such as hospitalization trends and the percentage of COVID-19 tests coming back positive, when making recommendations to schools.
Quote:
On Thursday (Aug. 20), Lamont said that schools are on track to open in the fall, based on the fact that every county has low positivity Covid cases. Information is available here: https://data.ct.gov/Health-and-Human...unty/rpph-4ysy

Old 08-27-2020, 06:32 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer & Manatee View Post
Interesting, but as we are told, we need to listen to them.

CDC calls for LESS testing

ATLANTA (CBS46) -- The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has changed its Covid-19 testing guidelines. The agency no longer recommends testing for most people without symptoms, even if they've been in close contact with someone known to have the virus.
This makes no sense to me, I saw this on the news this morning. And in the same news cast saw that the FDA approved a $5 , self contained test kit that will give you immediate results.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:54 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
The federal government is working to change policies to improve the picture.

Here's the reality -- as the federal govt. calls for college football and schools opening, they have not opened their federal offices because of COVID.

That's the hypocritical policy that is creating confusion, frustration.

The federal government was very careful NOT to report how many of their national offices were closed during the pandemic because the virus spread through their offices. Taxes, INS offices, etc....closed.

And remain closed....six months later.

This administration doesn't deal with reality -- they deal with how things look.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The federal government was very careful NOT to report how many of their national offices were closed during the pandemic because the virus spread through their offices. Taxes, INS offices, etc....closed.

And remain closed....six months later.
Federal agencies can be operated remotely.

My "federal agency" has been working right through with a minimal staff at work and most of us at home.

We would like to go back, however, so many employees cannot return due to children at home and also elders living with them to avoid death in a nursing home, that most people will not be able to go back.

If children go back to school there will be a fighting chance.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:13 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Federal agencies can be operated remotely.

My "federal agency" has been working right through with a minimal staff at work and most of us at home.

We would like to go back, however, so many employees cannot return due to children at home and also elders living with them to avoid death in a nursing home, that most people will not be able to go back.

If children go back to school there will be a fighting chance.

And you need college football to feel better about your life right?

Not all federal employees NEED child care. The offices that remain closed are the ones that provide services directly to American residents, passports, green card renewals, taxes.

Those offices can work with a skeleton crew until folks get the daycare they need (funny to think y'all need school for daycare -- what the heck do you do during the summer vacation?)

Old 08-27-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Not all federal employees NEED child care. The offices that remain closed are the ones that provide services directly to American residents, passports, green card renewals, taxes.
Rubbish. These agencies are open for business... just like mine.

Nice try though.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You haven’t been paying attention, because absolutely they are and it is a widespread criteria.

No they aren't. My very own state backtracked on openings due to a "spike" in the number of positive cases. Not number of positive cases out of the number tested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies