Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 09:39 PM

3,649 posts, read 3,786,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigins View Post
Anyone should have easy access to testing when they want it. If it was possible with accurate rapid result testing, I’d like testing at malls, stores, schools, gym’s etc. That would be the best way to track the virus. I don’t care about people testing multiple times.
Accurate, being a key here. Rapid or otherwise.

This change of course today by the CDC is an example of why I don't get angry when the government of my state founders in its' recommendations. It's hard to keep up with the changes. And bureaucracies aren't very nimble. It takes them time to adjust and adapt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 10:03 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigins View Post
Anyone should have easy access to testing when they want it. If it was possible with accurate rapid result testing, I’d like testing at malls, stores, schools, gym’s etc. That would be the best way to track the virus. I don’t care about people testing multiple times.
Abbott's $5 test:

https://www.google.com/search?source...sclient=psy-ab

Continued testing and tracing remains important, and simple, cheap, quick and easy will let us open up sooner!

Did anyone mention that Fauci was in surgery they day the testing change came out?

Old 08-26-2020, 10:07 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
I don’t want any test, I’m always wear mask, hat, gloves and wash my hands throughrougly with soap when I get home. I even have face shield when I travel in airplane.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:37 PM

190 posts, read 75,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Abbott's $5 test:

https://www.google.com/search?source...sclient=psy-ab

Continued testing and tracing remains important, and simple, cheap, quick and easy will let us open up sooner!

Did anyone mention that Fauci was in surgery they day the testing change came out?
I was thinking 30 minutes, 15 is great. Someone needs to make a saliva test just like it for anyone to use in a public or private setting. That test requires a physician because of the nasal swab needed.

It’s still great though.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:54 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer & Manatee View Post
CDC calling foe LESS testing

Updated CDC guidelines now say people exposed to coronavirus may not need to be tested

It makes sense the way it's explained.....

"Giroir insisted the change comes because it doesn't do much good to have tests done in an area where there is no evidence of spread. A test result also is only valid for the day it's taken. 'Getting a negative test that three days is not totally meaningless, but pretty close to it. It should not give you a self assurance that you will be negative. It should not give you a false sense of security, you should not engage in risky behavior,' Giroir said."

"You do not necessarily need a test unless you are a vulnerable individual or your health care provider or State or local public health officials recommend you take one," the CDC now states.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/stun...ry?id=72621714

Old 08-27-2020, 12:17 AM

1,231 posts, read 448,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So we're back to, only counting people if they're symptomatic and test positive? Like we should have been doing all along so as not to skew the numbers???
No that's not what we should be doing. If you are asymptomatic and carrying the virus, you can easlily spread it to others. Seriously do you not know how disease spreads? If you want to control the virus, you have to stop it from everyone who has it.

Old 08-27-2020, 03:40 AM

30,259 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Right, but here’s the thing, positivity rates are calculated by comparing the number of positive tests for the coronavirus with the total number of tests conducted within a 24-hour period.

Example for State A, where the people of the state have been told by the CoVid gurus that schools (and rest of things) should open completely once the the positivity rate is below somewhere between 3-5%. Compare these two scenarios:
The state has been conducting an average of 100 tests a day since tests are hard to get and essentially have to be ordered by a doctor or the health department. The state is getting an average of 7 positive results a day:
- Positivity rate of 7%
The state increases its testing, the contact tracers are notifying anyone the infected person has been in contact with, people can just get the test if they are concerned. The state is now averaging 500 tests a day. The state is getting an average of 10 positive results a day:
- Positivity rate of 2%
So even though you are now catching 3 more confirmed cases a day, your positivity rate has significantly gone down. Additionally, you are no longer able to continue to factor in a case as probable once you get negative results for that case.

This will likely result in the people demanding the schools get back on regular schedule. They will stop being freaked out so much so they will be less compliant with masks. And, finally, all that free flowing crisis money will start drying up. Basically, people will start demanding life start returning to normal.
I think you nailed it.

And the only people falling for it on this thread, are the lefties....as usual. "But Trump!!!"

Old 08-27-2020, 04:46 AM

7,370 posts, read 3,533,397 times
the people saying that the president must have influenced the CDC are the same ones who want to empower the federal government and make it larger, the same ones who canonized Fauci, and the same ones who stick their fingers in their ears when something comes out that doesn't fit their narriative.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:25 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genz View Post
No that's not what we should be doing. If you are asymptomatic and carrying the virus, you can easlily spread it to others. Seriously do you not know how disease spreads? If you want to control the virus, you have to stop it from everyone who has it.
Then fine, let's start treating the other diseases the same. Let's start doing year round influenza tests on everyone.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:28 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,280,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
The numbers will drop now, everything will open up and people with health conditions will have to protect themselves from COVID. Probably what we should have been doing all along.
As was posted on the first page, this hurts the reopening it doesn’t help it. If you’re only testing sick people you’re going to get a very high rate of positivity. That high rate will then be used in as an excuse to keep everything shut down.

I personally think testing everyone is a huge waste of time, but this is a bad news scenario for those of us who want businesses and schools open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies