Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 08:05 AM

15,848 posts, read 6,547,612 times

Advertisements

Looks like DJT has rotted out another department of the administration. All that's going to be left in the end is a big steaming pile, curiously resembling a swamp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 08:13 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Looks like DJT has rotted out another department of the administration. All that's going to be left in the end is a big steaming pile, curiously resembling a swamp.
I guess drain the swamp means cripple them so bad either by incompetent people in charge (DeVos and the USPS), attacks the credibility (FDA) or both (CDC.) Remember people, Trump's business record is far from great. He dont hire the best people, especially as a private citizen. He had far too many failures that had he not his father's money and had to be a real entrepreneur, he would be broke on the street years ago.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:22 AM

376 posts, read 103,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
As was posted on the first page, this hurts the reopening it doesn’t help it. If you’re only testing sick people you’re going to get a very high rate of positivity. That high rate will then be used in as an excuse to keep everything shut down.

I personally think testing everyone is a huge waste of time, but this is a bad news scenario for those of us who want businesses and schools open.
This is the case and people are missing it. This hurts Trump and reopening, because the positivity rate is going to go through the roof when only testing people who have the virus. All the people saying this is because Trump pressured them, think about this for a minute. Trump would not want the positivity rate to go up, which it absolutely will now.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:25 AM

376 posts, read 103,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The federal government is working to change policies to improve the picture.

Here's the reality -- as the federal govt. calls for college football and schools opening, they have not opened their federal offices because of COVID.

That's the hypocritical policy that is creating confusion, frustration.

The federal government was very careful NOT to report how many of their national offices were closed during the pandemic because the virus spread through their offices. Taxes, INS offices, etc....closed.

And remain closed....six months later.

This administration doesn't deal with reality -- they deal with how things look.
The offices are open. I use them all the time.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:29 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
No they aren't. My very own state backtracked on openings due to a "spike" in the number of positive cases. Not number of positive cases out of the number tested.
There are 49 other states. The positivity isn’t the only measure, but it is one of them. In a state like mine where the raw numbers are so low, the positivity rate is the driving factor.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:47 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigins View Post
I was thinking 30 minutes, 15 is great. Someone needs to make a saliva test just like it for anyone to use in a public or private setting. That test requires a physician because of the nasal swab needed.

It’s still great though.
You can swab yourself.
Anyone who has had the opportunity to place their own NG tube knows that it is actually easier and less distressful to do it yourself. Only you the patient can accurately steer the tip.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It makes sense the way it's explained.....

"Giroir insisted the change comes because it doesn't do much good to have tests done in an area where there is no evidence of spread. A test result also is only valid for the day it's taken. 'Getting a negative test that three days is not totally meaningless, but pretty close to it. It should not give you a self assurance that you will be negative. It should not give you a false sense of security, you should not engage in risky behavior,' Giroir said."

"You do not necessarily need a test unless you are a vulnerable individual or your health care provider or State or local public health officials recommend you take one," the CDC now states.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/stun...ry?id=72621714
Good point. The major problem occurs though at the time the virus does decides to enter or reenter your community.

The Abbott test can be a relative game change in many aspects of our life. Like airplane travel where all can be tested at the airport before getting onboard the plane.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Then fine, let's start treating the other diseases the same. Let's start doing year round influenza tests on everyone.
Doable but not necessary. We don't typically see large local outbreaks of Influenza anywhere. By next year or so large scale testing will not be necessary for Covid 19. Hopefully.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:54 AM

1,514 posts, read 891,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I guess drain the swamp means cripple them so bad either by incompetent people in charge (DeVos and the USPS), attacks the credibility (FDA) or both (CDC.)
Bingo! But how can one completely drain the swamp when "Swamp Thing" of Trump Towers is still running the swamp / show and still soaking in the swamp?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLl3jX_PMBU

Old 08-27-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I don't really see that. Decisions aren't being made by how many people are positive out of the number that are tested. Decisions are being made by how many are positive. This also should eliminate some deaths that are being counted now as if they didn't have symptoms and weren't tested they won't be listed as a covid death.

The only way I could see it hurting the people that want to get back to their lives is if the death rate remains high while the positive covid people is lower. Then the death rate would appear to be going up.

In reading about this I did see a really good argument from the CDC... we know that the corona virus test is about 30% inaccurate. So now people are getting a test, testing negative, and walking around sure they don't have it. While without getting tested they might be more careful not knowing one way or the other. So testing increases the spread.
The testing is much more accurate today.
With the new Abbott testing, better than 90% accurate, good enough for most people most of the time. In more critical situations two tests done sequentially would be almost absolute if they agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies