Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you believe about the Breonna Taylor shooting?
Completely justified. 26 46.43%
Somewhat questionable. 9 16.07%
Highly questionable. 11 19.64%
Completely unjustified. 10 17.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 12:31 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times

Advertisements

The family is getting 12 million in taxpayer money. Did she have kids? I never saw much of a point in awarding a large sum of money to the family of a dead adult unless kids are involved.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 12:40 PM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The family is getting 12 million in taxpayer money. Did she have kids? I never saw much of a point in awarding a large sum of money to the family of a dead adult unless kids are involved.
Don’t worry, they’re also getting $6.6 million in gofundme money.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/9v4q2-jus...breonna-taylor

I presume the money is goin to the parents and other family members? Welp, don’t spend it all in one place.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:41 PM

17,431 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Watching the press conference now ...

The activist Tamika Mallory are legitimately calling for the arrest of the police ... or else.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:43 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Punitive damages - it's a rap over the knuckles to the city government, on whose behalf the PD acts. Makes sort-of sense in that light.

Of course, the proper response to an unlawful killing is to prosecute the perpetrator, but we all know the chances of that happening. Former officer Hankinson will get himself hired in the Sheriff's department in some deep-red podunk town where they don't have a problem with an officer who solves problems on the spot.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:45 PM

18,401 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
The amount of money awarded isn’t about how the money is dispersed or if who gets it. It’s a cost paid for an unjustified killing.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:52 PM

1,110 posts, read 672,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
As for the first point, the warrant was for Breonna's apartment, and that has been covered extensively.

As for the second point, you're not telling the truth. Walker was not charged with anything, because the police failed to announce themselves. The law found that he was justified in firing at the police for that very reason. They broke down the freakin' door.

What is it with this insistence on ignorance?
You claim I'm not telling the truth???

On the first point the warrant was for Glover (her ex) and Taylor at Taylor's apartment (not just Taylor's apartment). This is glaringly evident in the leaked documentation that was presented to obtain the no-knock warrant. According to Glover, Breonna handled his drug dealing money. There are telephonic recordings of her and reports of her wherabouts in the doc supporting the warrant. At the very least she could be posthumously found guilty of aiding and abetting, possibly conspiring or as an accomplice to Glover's crimes.

On the shootout, the police, the prosecutors and even Walker himself have confirmed that knocking was going on when Walker recklessly fired through the door blindly shooting an officer in the leg. They knocked for a long time (assuming Breonna was home alone) then announced police with warrant only after this, battering the door. The only conflicting information here is whether Walkers shot was fired during announced knocking or when the battering started. It's confirmed Walker fired through a closed door. Cope claimed they announced, Walker claimed he did not hear the 'police open up' announcement. He said/ she said on the police announcing themselves until more evidence comes forward.

The law didn't prove Walker was justified in shooting police, only that there was not enough evidence for the grand jury to warrant the attempted murder charges. The same Judge Olu Stevens who had pled guilty to 7 Ethics violations in 2016 dismissed the Walker case as a result. Not to take anything away form 'honorable' Judge Olu, even the Commonweath DA agreed that grand jury evidence was insufficient for an indictment for attempted murder.

That said, Walker can and probably will be charged again with reckless endangerment w/ firearm resulting in death (or attempted murder again if new evidence becomes available).

Old 09-15-2020, 03:08 PM

208 posts, read 100,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
How useful.

I guess we can skip the ignorance hypotheses - it appears "Only part of the story was reported" was simply made up on your part.
I just watched my local news and saw the story. They made no mention of the police being shot at. Only that the police shot her. Ignorant assumption on your part. You only find the full story tucked away at the end of long articles.

Old 09-15-2020, 03:11 PM

208 posts, read 100,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
The amount of money awarded isn’t about how the money is dispersed or if who gets it. It’s a cost paid for an unjustified killing.
How come only black people get paid that much for unjustified killings?

Old 09-16-2020, 03:50 PM

8,383 posts, read 4,371,285 times
If you are a legal gun toting conservative and in the middle of the night you hear your front door being bashed in with no warning, what would you do?

I support LEO 100% but obviously they really, really need to rethink their strategy.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:54 AM

13,277 posts, read 7,321,255 times
I think the settlement speaks for itself if the city thought that the shooting was justified why pay out 12 million?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies