Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you believe about the Breonna Taylor shooting?
Completely justified. 26 46.43%
Somewhat questionable. 9 16.07%
Highly questionable. 11 19.64%
Completely unjustified. 10 17.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 08:04 AM

3,650 posts, read 3,786,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I think the settlement speaks for itself if the city thought that the shooting was justified why pay out 12 million?
Usually because it would be more expensive to contest the suit. Add the costs of the ignorant masses tearing up cities over dead thugs.

Either she was part of the drug trade (a runner, a mule), or she exemplifies the lesson: Be careful who you share your bed with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 10:20 AM

13,271 posts, read 7,321,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Usually because it would be more expensive to contest the suit. Add the costs of the ignorant masses tearing up cities over dead thugs.

Either she was part of the drug trade (a runner, a mule), or she exemplifies the lesson: Be careful who you share your bed with.
Cities have paid out for shootings no where near as high as 12 million? I haven't really read into all the details the payout seems high. There was a case in CA where police broke a woman leg those two officers had no warrant at all she got 6.7 million. They claimed they could arrest the woman's daughter for arson using the stipulation they could pursue a suspect into a home without a warrant. That didn't work because it had been a few days there was no pursuit. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-i...ge%20daughter.

I thought that was high for a broken leg, but then again no warrant at all and wasn't like they could have waited in front of the house and gotten a warrant easily.

No knock warrants result in a wrongful death case, or no warrant at all price has to be paid for that kind of stuff not sure needs to be millions.

Who she lives with doesn't relive the police of their responsibility the no knock policy is something should be done away with restricted to very narrow use case. There are other ways to remove a suspect. Reminds me of Waco Texas stand off where they could have gotten David Koresh when he went to town. Instead they wanted to make a big show of force busting down doors. This is all policy, training, and better oversight. There might be a time when they really do need a no knock warrant someone is in danger in that home. It should be used with commander approval not some drug related case.

12 million dollar payouts won't solve any of these issue tax payer picks up the bill nothing really changes to improve things.

Last edited by kell490; 09-17-2020 at 10:36 AM..

Old 09-17-2020, 10:42 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie View Post
I just watched my local news and saw the story. They made no mention of the police being shot at. Only that the police shot her. Ignorant assumption on your part. You only find the full story tucked away at the end of long articles.
This is the subject of the thread.

I've heard the shooting of Breonna Taylor many times in the last few months, and I have NEVER heard it mentioned that someone in her apartment opened fire on the cops before they fired on anyone themselves.

There are problems with the shooting, whether the cops announced themselves as cops etc.

But the subject of the thread is that the media always mentions the shooting of Taylor, but seldom if ever refers to someone in her apartment shooting at the cops first. This lack continues to the present day.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:53 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
This is the subject of the thread.

I've heard the shooting of Breonna Taylor many times in the last few months, and I have NEVER heard it mentioned that someone in her apartment opened fire on the cops before they fired on anyone themselves.

There are problems with the shooting, whether the cops announced themselves as cops etc.

But the subject of the thread is that the media always mentions the shooting of Taylor, but seldom if ever refers to someone in her apartment shooting at the cops first. This lack continues to the present day.
Maybe you weren’t paying attention. It has always been reported that her boyfriend fired shots at the police because they came in unannounced.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:55 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post

If you lay down with dogs, you get fleas.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:02 AM

13,271 posts, read 7,321,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
[/b]

If you lay down with dogs, you get fleas.
If you neglect your pets they have fleas.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:20 AM

208 posts, read 100,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Maybe you weren’t paying attention. It has always been reported that her boyfriend fired shots at the police because they came in unannounced.
No it hasn't always. It's rarely mentioned on TV. Only in long print stories that most people don't even fully read. Rarely in headlines also.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:21 AM

208 posts, read 100,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I think the settlement speaks for itself if the city thought that the shooting was justified why pay out 12 million?
Because of the publicity and risk of civil unrest if they didn't pay a huge settlement. That should be obvious.

Old 09-17-2020, 04:38 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,704 times
The man who shot at police was released and not charged means the police screwed up

One of the officers was fired means the police screwed up

They paid 12 million dollars settlement means the police screwed up

Part of the settlement was operational reform means the police screwed up

This is done and over. Give up on arguing the police were right in how they conducted this operation

Old 09-21-2020, 03:30 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
BREAKING NEWS

Get ready for the riots!

Police in Louisville cancel vacations ahead of announcement in Breonna Taylor case

Federal Buildings Closed All Week in Louisville in Anticipation of Possible Breonna Taylor Announcement

Quote:
Throughout the investigation into Breonna Taylor’s death, Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron has refused to give a timeline as to when his office will announce its decision on whether to press charges against the Louisville police who killed her.

But while Cameron has still given no indication on when he will announce his findings, several federal buildings in downtown Louisville will be shut down from Monday to Friday this week. The closures are seen as an indication that an announcement is imminent, reports CNN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies