Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 01:09 PM

672 posts, read 699,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yea we’re fat......it’s because our food is so much better.

No one ever talked about getting some good northern food did they? How about good California food (don’t they eat seaweed there?) veggie burgers? Ugh yuck. Gotta be the worst food in America.

We got the best BBQ down here. Fried everything, oh and then there is the sweet tea. Keep eatin that bird food if you want but I’ll have a rack of smoked ribs and pulled pork. Side of tater salad. Banana pudding for desert. Now that is food

The best burger I've had so far, was at a small eatery in San Fransisco of all places. California has close to 40 million people. There's plenty of good food to find in California, from all cuisine styles. With that said, I'm still team southern for favorite eats.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:11 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
We know where the attractive people live.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:16 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
A high carb diet can include organic pasta and pasta sauce, rice etc. completely different than eating ultra processed foods such as potato chips.
I think the ultimate junk food that does the most harm to one's health is the consumption of processed meats. Bacon, sausage, ham, Spam, all canned meats, Slim Jims, etc. and similar.

I see various chain pizza commercials every so often and they are piling on the processed meats. I wouldn't feed that to any of my dogs, let alone a human being.

We had a golden retriever when I was a kid and my parents used to feed it all types of processed meats every day because they owned and operated a restaurant back in the 80's. Like in three years that dog went from a normal healthy dog to broken down and suffering multiple serious health issues. That's just a dog in a three year period of time. Image what that same type of junk food does to a human being after just 5 - 10 years of average consumption.

This is one of the reasons I seriously choose not to consume such products....ever, not even once in a blue moon. Never!

Old 09-24-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastwanted View Post
Yeah Asians eat high carb food but they are much skinnier than Americans.
Primarily because of the size of portions and frequency of meals consumed per day. I lived in Japan for almost 6 years when I was in my late teens and early 20's. I saw how it is over there. During that same time I often traveled to various neighboring countries from China to Singapore and in between. Same in those countries as well.

During the years I was living in Japan, the Japanese began noticing an uptick in heart related ailments among the general public. Just by coincidence perhaps, that was about 10 - 15 years after all the American Junk food started going to Japan, Burger King, Wendy's, McDonalds, etc. Potato fries (French fries) were a huge hit at that time.

While I was living in Japan, having a filling meal in Japan was a luxury. Because it was some of the most expensive "junk" fast food available. The food items were also slightly smaller than the same ones offered in the US. Quarter Pounders looked more like double cheese burgers back then, but cost a great deal more. I couldn't get full eating at McDonalds with anything less than $20.00 to spend in total. If you watched how the Japanese ate McDonald's, you'd notice that when they use catsup on their potato fries, one small packet of catsup was enough to satisfy an entire family of four (two adults and two kids). They used it that sparingly. We all know how fattening catsup is, full of high fructose corn syrup. The Japanese would be blown away when they saw each of us using three or more catsup packets with our meal.

Last edited by FC76-81; 09-24-2020 at 01:35 PM..

Old 09-24-2020, 01:26 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,407,298 times
Quote:
Can you clarify here? Are you talking about strictly highly processed foods here or any foods with sugars or carbohydrates?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I think the ultimate junk food that does the most harm to one's health is the consumption of processed meats. Bacon, sausage, ham, Spam, all canned meats, Slim Jims, etc. and similar.

I see various chain pizza commercials every so often and they are piling on the processed meats. I wouldn't feed that to any of my dogs, let alone a human being.

We had a golden retriever when I was a kid and my parents used to feed it all types of processed meats every day because they owned and operated a restaurant back in the 80's. Like in three years that dog went from a normal healthy dog to broken down and suffering multiple serious health issues. That's just a dog in a three year period of time. Image what that same type of junk food does to a human being after just 5 - 10 years of average consumption.

This is one of the reasons I seriously choose not to consume such products....ever, not even once in a blue moon. Never!
Yeah no doubt the evidence that ultra processed foods is not good for health is overwhelming. The discussion though is what causes obesity. At the end of the day if you burn more calories than you consume then you will lose weight. You could have a strict diet of twinkies and still lose significant weight.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:32 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
You knew what they meant, but you have an agenda, so you're twisting the point that they where making. The obesity rate keeps getting posted in this thread but the combined rate for obesity & being overweight is conveniently being left out. That rate is 71% among adults. That means that 7/10 adults are at an unhealthy weight. That's an indisputable fact. At the rate you're hitting the whole political and economic spectrum. Seem like it's a problem everyone should be concerned about, no matter political affiliation or economic class.
They're not making any point. Blacks, Hispanics, and the poor have the highest obesity rates. Well-established fact. All 3 demographic groups overwhelmingly vote Dem. Also a well-established fact. How can anyone possibly be confused by those facts?

Old 09-24-2020, 01:36 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I replied back with the map which is Whites only here what I marked in red read it it's a fact that majority of republicans are in fact obese.
Why are you ignoring the fact that there are many more states in which Blacks and Hispanics have the highest level obesity rates? The entire point is to accept the fact that Blacks, Hispanics, and the poor have the highest obesity rates, and all 3 demographic groups overwhelmingly vote Dem. So, yes, the fact is that Democrats have a higher obesity rate than Republicans.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah no doubt the evidence that ultra processed foods is not good for health is overwhelming. The discussion though is what causes obesity. At the end of the day if you burn more calories than you consume then you will lose weight. You could have a strict diet of twinkies and still lose significant weight.
If one's health is damaged by such foods, where they are unable to work off the calories consumed, they will then gain weight.

So if someone is on a strict diet of consuming only twinkies, if they have any type of health issues preventing them from working off the calories, they will still gain weight.

Eating healthy foods only may require minimal physical activities to burn off the calories.

Eating unhealthy foods only may require more physical activities to burn off the calories compared to the healthy food.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:50 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,407,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
If one's health is damaged by such foods, where they are unable to work off the calories consumed, they will then gain weight.

So if someone is on a strict diet of consuming only twinkies, if they have any type of health issues preventing them from working off the calories, they will still gain weight.

Eating healthy foods only may require minimal physical activities to burn off the calories.

Eating unhealthy foods only may require more physical activities to burn off the calories compared to the healthy food.
Not true. Ever hear of the Twinkie professor who lost 25lbs on a strict diet of twinkies and other ultra processed foods?

It does not matter what you are eating. If you are in a caloric deficit you will lose weight.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Not true. Ever hear of the Twinkie professor who lost 25lbs on a strict diet of twinkies and other ultra processed foods?

It does not matter what you are eating. If you are in a caloric deficit you will lose weight.
Was he involved in physical activities while on such a diet? What was his age during the time he was on this Twinkie diet? Fast metabolism. Individuals over a certain age have a slower metabolism. It just depends on the person. Some have slower, some have faster, and at different age groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies