Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2020, 01:45 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
I never said that. My point is that I can eat any combination of foods as long as I’m in a caloric deficit I will not gain weight.
So what's your favorite ice cream blend.

Rookie road, mint, coffee, caramel, or something else?

Old 09-23-2020, 01:50 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times
Yes the citizens share some accountability in the obesity problem. But you can't sit there and just blame one segment of people and let the rich executives with their constant media bombardment and BS off the hooks. There is blame to go all around.

This "work from home" crap doesn't do anyone favors either. Horrible for a human being to be sitting around every day . In fact, that may be the #1 problem. Too many damn white collar sedentary jobs. The food choices probably wouldn't contribute to much if people actually had to go to work now and be active instead of just going to their room and sitting in front of a computer spouting nonsense in meetings all day. You probably be fine eating crap as long as you stayed active in a blue collar physical job and sweat every day

Old 09-23-2020, 01:51 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,407,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
So what's your favorite ice cream blend.

Rookie road, mint, coffee, caramel, or something else?
Cookie quarry

Old 09-23-2020, 02:06 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
What’s wrong with downing 8 oz of ice cream?
Nothing at all.

But if you are trying to lose weight, just make sure the calories for that ice cream are factored into your "consume 500 less calories than my BMR" equation. 8 oz of ice cream is 300 calories, roughly. The calories are kinda nutrition deficient, and mostly carbs, but whatever.

The myth of weight loss is there are specific foods for weight loss and other specific foods for weight gain. Not true at all. There are foods that are more nutrient dense than others, and consuming larger volumes of those foods will make over consumption of total calories a bunch harder than crappy foods, but even crappy foods can be part of a weight loss diet. It just takes less volume of food, more discipline, and few vitamin/mineral supplements to replace the lack of nutrients. From a calorie total standpoint, there is no difference between a Big Mac and ~3 pounds of broccoli, and it could be argued that the Big Mac has more overall nutrients in it than 3 pounds of broccoli. But which one is easier to eat 5x per day? I could maybe eat 5x Big Macs in a single day, but 15 pounds of broccoli would take some serious effort. And there's the "secret" to what all the pundits call "weight loss foods." You can eat a crap ton of those foods and not consume a lot of calories. That's the difference.

And yeah, protein makes building muscle easier, and fat/carbs make storing fat easier, but you can be a fatty on a pure 100% paleo/keto diet, and you can lose weight and get in pretty serious shape on nothing but donuts and ice cream. Total calories in < calories burned, some exercise discipline, and time...all the ingredients you need, regardless of what you eat.

And as always, if you drink 1 oz of water for every 2 pounds of your body weight daily, you are already doing about 400% more for your fitness and wellness than anyone who isn't.

Fat apologists blame the food, not the behavior. They blame the collective, not the individual. It's all blame shifting nonsense, given how simple and tidy the weight management and fitness equations really are.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:13 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,303 times
I was at my local pool swimming. I noticed the kids. Around half are obese I'd say. Or at least overweight. When I went to school, there was one overweight/obese kid in the whole grade and we mercilessly picked on him.

It's pretty shocking.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:14 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,407,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Nothing at all.

But if you are trying to lose weight, just make sure the calories for that ice cream are factored into your "consume 500 less calories than my BMR" equation. 8 oz of ice cream is 300 calories, roughly. The calories are kinda nutrition deficient, and mostly carbs, but whatever.

The myth of weight loss is there are specific foods for weight loss and other specific foods for weight gain. Not true at all. There are foods that are more nutrient dense than others, and consuming larger volumes of those foods will make over consumption of total calories a bunch harder than crappy foods, but even crappy foods can be part of a weight loss diet. It just takes less volume of food, more discipline, and few vitamin/mineral supplements to replace the lack of nutrients.

And yeah, protein makes building muscle easier, and fat/carbs make storing fat easier, but you can be a fatty on a pure 100% paleo/keto diet, and you can lose weight and get in pretty serious shape on nothing but donuts and ice cream. Total calories in < calories burned, some exercise discipline, and time...all the ingredients you need, regardless of what you eat.

And as always, if you drink 1 oz of water for every 2 pounds of your body weight daily, you are already doing about 400% more for your fitness and wellness than anyone who isn't.

Fat apologists blame the food, not the behavior. They blame the collective, not the individual. It's all blame shifting nonsense, given how simple and tidy the weight management and fitness equations really are.
Yes I understand how certain foods are more thermogenic than others. My diet consists mainly of Whole Foods but occasionally I will indulge in highly processed foods. The point I’m trying to make that a lot of people seem to not understand is that you can basically eat a Twinkie diet and still lose weight. Obviously it’s not advised to eat like this but many people will just eat more until they feel satisfied.

Obesity is a combination of laziness, convenience, lack of exercise, stress, will power, and a few other things I’m sure I left out.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Yes I understand how certain foods are more thermogenic than others. My diet consists mainly of Whole Foods but occasionally I will indulge in highly processed foods. The point I’m trying to make that a lot of people seem to not understand is that you can basically eat a Twinkie diet and still lose weight. Obviously it’s not advised to eat like this but many people will just eat more until they feel satisfied.

Obesity is a combination of laziness, convenience, lack of exercise, stress, will power, and a few other things I’m sure I left out.
Eat Pineapples if you want your daily fill of glucose.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
It not all about weight.

Calories aren't the only thing that matter.
For weight, yeah, they really are.

For overall wellness, no, because bodyweight alone isn't the only indicator of fitness/wellness. But for bodyweight management, calories in vs calories out is 100% the only thing that matters.

Best health is a much more involved equation than just body mass index and total weight, but absolutist stuff like below is what stops a ton of people from getting healthier because perfect gets in the way of pretty good.
Quote:
100 calories of broccoli and 100 calories of ice cream aren't the same thing.

Have broccoli (no ranch) with a glass of ice water. Much better. Very tasty.
...from a calorie total standpoint, they are exactly the same. From a wellness perspective, broccoli is a better choice IF you don't already have other nutrient dense foods in your diet. If we are talking a treat that stays under you daily caloric goal and keeps you from becoming eating disordered, the ice cream actually makes more sense than the broccoli for a bunch of reasons. Depends entirely on the person.

A ton of people are scared of weight loss because they think they have to have "just broccoli with ice water" and they never even try. And along with perfect getting in the way of just getting better with diet, same thing with exercise. One pundit says 45 minutes of cardio per day, 4x a week, another says resistance training with weights 4x per week for Y amount of time, and another says spend $3k on the Peleton and spin until drop dead, etc etc.

Rarely do you find sane, normal advice that centers on one simple principle - what is YOUR personal, individual baseline for diet and exercise, and let's see if we can incrementally improve both. So instead of advising "ditch ice cream forever and have broccoli and ice water instead, you fat lop of crap" (which is exactly how low self-esteem, eating disordered people will freaking hear your above advice, btw), you say let's figure out your BMR honestly, then let's do a food log for a few weeks and see where the bad habits are and where can start scoring some easy wins as we start dialing in a healthy lifestyle.

If the person is honest with their dietician/trainer and those people are patient and supportive, the diet doesn't have to go from fatty sloth to Tibetan monk overnight, and the psychology of changing lifestyle can slowly take hold, but once it does, will actually last.

And it starts by telling people that a donut, or ice cream, or a Big Mac or whatever crappy food WILL NOT HURT YOU, just try to control/stop making them the centerpiece of your diet. Explain caloric deficit and proper nutrition and guide them, don't drop absolutes.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:30 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
When will we start to see increased insurance premiums for obese people like we do for smokers? The risk is similar. Why keep rewarding people for lacking self discipline? Humans are stimulus response machines. Sometimes they need some incentive to change their behavior to something more healthy. For all the effort they are doing trying to get people to wear masks, they could save many times more lives spending that time trying to promote people to maintain a healthy BMI.

Given the choice I'd rather we not be told what to do, but making them pay more for health insurance is reasonable. I think people who engage in high risk activities like cliff diving, downhill skiing, surfing, etc. should have to pay more for health insurance also. Amount paid should be based on risk.. even in a society where health care is "free" we need some system in place to reward healthy and responsible behaviors....

Old 09-23-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
For weight, yeah, they really are.

For overall wellness, no, because bodyweight alone isn't the only indicator of fitness/wellness. But for bodyweight management, calories in vs calories out is 100% the only thing that matters.

Best health is a much more involved equation than just body mass index and total weight, but absolutist stuff like below is what stops a ton of people from getting healthier because perfect gets in the way of pretty good.

...from a calorie total standpoint, they are exactly the same. From a wellness perspective, broccoli is a better choice IF you don't already have other nutrient dense foods in your diet. If we are talking a treat that stays under you daily caloric goal and keeps you from becoming eating disordered, the ice cream actually makes more sense than the broccoli for a bunch of reasons. Depends entirely on the person.

A ton of people are scared of weight loss because they think they have to have "just broccoli with ice water" and they never even try. And along with perfect getting in the way of just getting better with diet, same thing with exercise. One pundit says 45 minutes of cardio per day, 4x a week, another says resistance training with weights 4x per week for Y amount of time, and another says spend $3k on the Peleton and spin until drop dead, etc etc.

Rarely do you find sane, normal advice that centers on one simple principle - what is YOUR personal, individual baseline for diet and exercise, and let's see if we can incrementally improve both. So instead of advising "ditch ice cream forever and have broccoli and ice water instead, you fat lop of crap" (which is exactly how low self-esteem, eating disordered people will freaking hear your above advice, btw), you say let's figure out your BMR honestly, then let's do a food log for a few weeks and see where the bad habits are and where can start scoring some easy wins as we start dialing in a healthy lifestyle.

If the person is honest with their dietician/trainer and those people are patient and supportive, the diet doesn't have to go from fatty sloth to Tibetan monk overnight, and the psychology of changing lifestyle can slowly take hold, but once it does, will actually last.

And it starts by telling people that a donut, or ice cream, or a Big Mac or whatever crappy food WILL NOT HURT YOU, just try to control/stop making them the centerpiece of your diet. Explain caloric deficit and proper nutrition and guide them, don't drop absolutes.
For me weight loss was mainly calories. I was just pointing out that high sugared foods or oil/grease diets can have other affects.

Take coke zero, it has a lot of negative health affects like hurting your metabolism and other things that will make it difficult to lose weight in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies