Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 06:30 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,200,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
That's just....a false dilemma. No one is choosing between human life and property. Burning down buildings is wrong in and of itself. It has nothing to do with any cause.

However, no one has ever asked the arsonist how they KNOW the building they burn to the ground are empty. Answer: they don't. And they don't care.
BOTH destroying property and refusing to wear a mask during this pandemic are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 06:30 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,802,877 times
No one is naive enough to think the police are perfect, or that we won't be on the wrong side of the police, in spite of being innocent. Naive, childish, utopian thinking is the hallmark of today's anti-police hysteria. It's the institution of policing that I support. The facts show that they are overwhelmingly on the side of law-abiding people. And we have no other institution to protect us from gangs, murderers, rapists, human traffickers, thieves, etc. and to bring them to justice.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:36 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,531,165 times
Quote:
No one is naive enough to think the police are perfect, or that we won't be on the wrong side of the police, in spite of being innocent. Naive, childish, utopian thinking is the hallmark of today's anti-police hysteria. It's the institution of policing that I support. The facts show that they are overwhelmingly on the side of law-abiding people. And we have no other institution to protect us from gangs, murderers, rapists, human traffickers, thieves, etc. and to bring them to justice.
The other thing to keep in mind is the SCALE. Police have encounters with 50 million different people a year, and one time out of million, a mistake will be made. No profession is perfect, and there are millions of cops, who are dealing with tens of millions of people, many repeat criminals who are belligerent and defiant (and high or drunk). What’s amazing is that there are so FEW of these incidents.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:43 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,647,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is exactly what Ive been saying too!

Good patriotic Americans are NOT going to sit by and tolerate police arresting people for simply defending themselves or their property!!
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
If it is one or two cops causing the problem, take names, take videos, expose them.

If it is the political powers, or a lot of cops in your area, then you have to realize that tolerance of criminals attracts criminals, criminal activity attracts more criminals, and it is a vicious cycle.

In that case, the answer is location.
As in move.
Not everyone has the resources to just pick up and leave on a whim. Don't get me wrong, I think every law abiding citizen should get the hell out of any of the mid sized to major urban areas run by democrats. Again, not everyone has the means to do so however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
And yet they are told to stand down when it comes to rioters and looters. I mean seriously, who’s the bigger threat here?
No comparison. We know the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Not wearing a mask doesn’t mean that you are transmitting the virus. Burning down other people’s property does guarantee that you are destroying other people’s property. Looting is stealing from businesses and perhaps causing them to lose their livelihoods.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
People who willfully violate mask/social distancing orders should be arrested. Christianity has nothing to do with it. If they were Christian, they would be following the orders. The police are correct to arrest them, just as any other individual who breaks the law. And when the police do act wrongfully, they should also be held responsible.

Quote:
Both can cause serious harm or even death to others. That people continue to disregard that fact when it comes to people refusing to wear a mask is truly disgusting. Over 200K people have died from the virus and many more are suffering. You can’t run a business if you’re dead.

Quote:
But you answered the question: you think people who don’t wear a mask are worse than lowlife scumbags looting stores and committing arson. You would sooner forgive an arsonist than a person not wearing a mask.

I don't understand what planet you live on and what planet people with your mindset live on.

Here's the deal:

You have the government FORCEFULLY putting people out of business then telling them to "hold tight", with no plan to help them get back on their feet. People losing jobs and then being told to "hold tight, take this 1200 check" (which is OUR money to begin with). Do you think people are just going to sit around on their butts all day and just wait around for the government and these agencies to tell them when they can do business when its "safe"?

Then to top it off, you have rioters and looters burning their businesses to the ground. Solidifying that many of these businesses will never open again or some of them never returning the same way.

YET, big tech companies, big box stores, fast food chains whom are worth billions, see their markets go sky high. THEY can operate, have people filled to the brim, crammed like sardines. COSTCO, Amazon, Uber Eats, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Target (to name a few) are NOT hurting right now.

The small and medium businesses have to eat all the dung. If you have a small and medium business that has 5-10 stores, having one burned to the ground is a BIG friggin deal.

Where as if Target, Walmart, McDonalds burn to the ground for instance, they can lose a dozen, a few dozen even. They have literally THOUSANDS of stores scattered throughout North America and/or internationally.

So let me ask you: Should those big box stores be held accountable for the death of people? According to your logic.

I don't understand people with your mindset. What is going on? Do you guys not work? Don't have a livelihood? Are you guys set for the bet? Serious question.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:46 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,200,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I don't understand what planet you live on and what planet people with your mindset live on.

Here's the deal:

You have the government FORCEFULLY putting people out of business then telling them to "hold tight", with no plan to help them get back on their feet. People losing jobs and then being told to "hold tight, take this 1200 check" (which is OUR money to begin with). Do you think people are just going to sit around on their butts all day and just wait around for the government and these agencies to tell them when they can do business when its "safe"?

Then to top it off, you have rioters and looters burning their businesses to the ground. Solidifying that many of these businesses will never open again or some of them never returning the same way.

YET, big tech companies, big box stores, fast food chains whom are worth billions, see their markets go sky high. THEY can operate, have people filled to the brim, crammed like sardines. COSTCO, Amazon, Uber Eats, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Target (to name a few) are NOT hurting right now.

The small and medium businesses have to eat all the dung. If you have a small and medium business that has 5-10 stores, having one burned to the ground is a BIG friggin deal.

Where as if Target, Walmart, McDonalds burn to the ground for instance, they can lose a dozen, a few dozen even. They have literally THOUSANDS of stores scattered throughout North America and/or internationally.

So let me ask you: Should those big box stores be held accountable for the death of people? According to your logic.

I don't understand people with your mindset. What is going on? Do you guys not work? Don't have a livelihood? Are you guys set for the bet? Serious question.
Not sure what you’re rambling on about. Wear a mask. Don’t riot or loot. It’s simple.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The other thing to keep in mind is the SCALE. Police have encounters with 50 million different people a year, and one time out of million, a mistake will be made. No profession is perfect, and there are millions of cops, who are dealing with tens of millions of people, many repeat criminals who are belligerent and defiant (and high or drunk). What’s amazing is that there are so FEW of these incidents.
Yet the media and activists have people believing that police are gunning people down every day. Let's see how much better their 'public safety forces' and 'violence interrupters' do. The thing is...the people who will die are regular civilians...at the hands of criminals. No one 'says their name.' They are just a number: "15 killed this weekend..."

Old 09-27-2020, 06:50 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,647,581 times
Quote:

Right.

And that's my gripe: The police should be worrying about much more serious crime that has been on the rise. Yet you have some of these officers whom responding to much more trivial non-sense. And I am pretty damn sure that they are aware there's much more to worry about.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Not sure what you’re rambling on about. Wear a mask. Don’t riot or loot. It’s simple.
The post you are referring to is about the discrepancy between how big business is treated vs. small business. We all wear masks where I live. There is no problem there. Yet there are no social distancing, occupancy limits, or contact tracking requirements for big box stores. There never has been!

Meanwhile, small businesses such as my own, were closed. We were closed for nearly six months! And in order to open, we have countless rules, inspections, and occupancy limits. Money doesn't grow on trees. The double standard is crazy, and if their rationale is 'saving lives' they are better to let the small businesses stay open, and limit the Home Depots where people jam in like sardines.

I support the police, yet I fully understand that in this pandemic the police can go after my business for operating even if we are doing so safely, and even if we are doing the same things a big box store can do with impunity. Or the protesters: there are no rules for them. Video footage from Louisville has them cramming into a Unitarian church last night to avoid arrest, not all of them masked.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Right.

And that's my gripe: The police should be worrying about much more serious crime that has been on the rise. Yet you have some of these officers whom responding to much more trivial non-sense. And I am pretty damn sure that they are aware there's much more to worry about.
That's the thing lately....they go after minor rule breakers while letting rioters and protesters go free. No one is checking temperatures at protests, enforcing mask compliance, or distancing. I've yet to see a police officer go after Lowes or Costco for over-crowding.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:07 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,531,165 times
Quote:
The issue is that you are making these parallel - that a person not wearing a mask is as much a criminal as a rioting thug burning down buildings, looting, and throwing bricks. When I see someone not wearing a mask, I just steer clear. If I saw someone looting my store and smashing the windows, there’s nothing I can do.

What you’re attempting to do is transparent: show that “both sides” are wrong. That’s what liberals do when they have no defense and try to minimize the reprehensible behavior of radical leftists. You’re saying that A) conservatives don’t wear masks, and B) leftists burn down buildings and set cars on fire and shoot at police and loot stores and throw bricks. Thus, according to you, they’re both equally wrong.

IOW, when I am walking down the street, I’d much rather pass by a maskless person than someone setting a house on fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies