Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 07:12 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,192,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
The post you are referring to is about the discrepancy between how big business is treated vs. small business. We all wear masks where I live. There is no problem there. Yet there are no social distancing, occupancy limits, or contact tracking requirements for big box stores. There never has been!

Meanwhile, small businesses such as my own, were closed. We were closed for nearly six months! And in order to open, we have countless rules, inspections, and occupancy limits. Money doesn't grow on trees. The double standard is crazy, and if their rationale is 'saving lives' they are better to let the small businesses stay open, and limit the Home Depots where people jam in like sardines.

I support the police, yet I fully understand that in this pandemic the police can go after my business for operating even if we are doing so safely, and even if we are doing the same things a big box store can do with impunity. Or the protesters: there are no rules for them. Video footage from Louisville has them cramming into a Unitarian church last night to avoid arrest, not all of them masked.
Wow, that’s horrible. Not the case in my area at all. All the big box stores have social distancing and occupancy limits. They keep tabs at the door. Very sorry for what you experienced as a small business owner. Not sure what is going on in some areas. My father is retired and works part time for a small business. They were only closed for two weeks. The handling of the pandemic has been horrible. So much inconsistency. It seems like because protesting is done out in the open, it is left alone.

But regarding the post referred to, not sure why it was directed to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The issue is that you are making these parallel - that a person not wearing a mask is as much a criminal as a rioting thug burning down buildings, looting, and throwing bricks. When I see someone not wearing a mask, I just steer clear. If I saw someone looting my store and smashing the windows, there’s nothing I can do.

What you’re attempting to do is transparent: show that “both sides” are wrong. That’s what liberals do when they have no defense and try to minimize the reprehensible behavior of radical leftists. You’re saying that A) conservatives don’t wear masks, and B) leftists burn down buildings and set cars on fire and shoot at police and loot stores and throw bricks. Thus, according to you, they’re both equally wrong.

IOW, when I am walking down the street, I’d much rather pass by a maskless person than someone setting a house on fire.
No. What I am saying is that people need to abide by the law. The OP, you and others are trying to make police look bad for enforcing the law.

POLICE ARE DOING THEIR JOBS, whether dealing with rioters or enforcing mask requirements.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:20 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,522,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
No. What I am saying is that people need to abide by the law. The OP, you and others are trying to make police look bad for enforcing the law. POLICE ARE DOING THEIR JOBS, whether dealing with rioters or enforcing mask requirements.
Oye. Police are being PROHIBITED from doing their jobs, by Democrat mayors, as they burn down buildings and loot stores! And yet you’re all gung-ho that police should enforce mask requirements?

Where’s your outrage at Democrats like the Seattle mayor, the NYC mayor, and the Portland mayor as radical leftists turned sections of their cities into third-world war zones - and they tell the police to stand down? That some anti-white bigot like DeBlasio won’t let his police protect store and building owners, yet he has the cops “guard” the mural honoring the racist terrorist hate group?

Old 09-27-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Oye. Police are being PROHIBITED from doing their jobs, by Democrat mayors, as they burn down buildings and loot stores! And yet you’re all gung-ho that police should enforce mask requirements?

Where’s your outrage at Democrats like the Seattle mayor, the NYC mayor, and the Portland mayor as radical leftists turned sections of their cities into third-world war zones - and they tell the police to stand down? That some anti-white bigot like DeBlasio won’t let his police protect store and building owners, yet he has the cops “guard” the mural honoring the racist terrorist hate group?
Once again, the police are correct to arrest individuals who are breaking the law.

I don’t know what is going on in some of those cities. Neither do I agree with those mayors. People should be able to protest, not loot.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Once again, the police are correct to arrest individuals who are breaking the law.

I don’t know what is going on in some of those cities. Neither do I agree with those mayors. People should be able to protest, not loot.
But breaking the law by burning down a building and refusing to wear a mask are not on the same level. One is a felony punishable by prison, and the other is a violation of a state regulation.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:24 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,800,510 times
Quote:
Wow, that’s horrible. Not the case in my area at all. All the big box stores have social distancing and occupancy limits. They keep tabs at the door. Very sorry for what you experienced as a small business owner. Not sure what is going on in some areas. My father is retired and works part time for a small business. They were only closed for two weeks. The handling of the pandemic has been horrible. So much inconsistency. It seems like because protesting is done out in the open, it is left alone.

But regarding the post referred to, not sure why it was directed to me.
Thank you. Certain sectors of business were hit harder than others in NY. Fitness and restaurants, specifically.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
But breaking the law by burning down a building and refusing to wear a mask are not on the same level. One is a felony punishable by prison, and the other is a violation of a state regulation.
No, they are not but the police ought not to be criticized for doing their jobs in either area.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
No, they are not but the police ought not to be criticized for doing their jobs in either area.
So you agree that Democrat mayors were wrong to tell police to stand down while thugs burned down buildings and looted stores? That they are enabling criminals?

Old 09-27-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
So you agree that Democrat mayors were wrong to tell police to stand down while thugs burned down buildings and looted stores? That they are enabling criminals?
Of course, those mayors are wrong. Protesting should be permitted. Rioting and looting should not. Not sure what the point in doing that was.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:39 AM

12,445 posts, read 2,981,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
That's the thing lately....they go after minor rule breakers while letting rioters and protesters go free. . .
The reason cops go after soft targets like a mask a minor traffic error is because many cops are cowards and bullies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies