Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: It over! Which candidate won tonight's debate?
Harris 101 31.37%
Pence 221 68.63%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 04:43 AM

51,677 posts, read 25,908,932 times

Advertisements

What are you talking about?

Biden was VP during the Ebola business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 04:45 AM

9,741 posts, read 14,298,364 times
Harris came off as the big mouth, condescending, parent at the P.T.A. meeting that nobody wants to sit next to. Her smirking, and squirming in her chair was great body language to watch, indicating she was lying her way through the debate. Harris as Vice President, or worse yet, President? What a joke!

Old 10-08-2020, 04:46 AM

7,602 posts, read 4,180,096 times
My impression of Kamala is that she feels the government needs to save the American people. Pence gives the impression that Americans can make their own choices, similar to Sweden's response to Covid. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Pence and the Swedes approach that strategy with the same point of view. My impression of Trump and Pence is that when Americans take risks, it creates opportunities.

Old 10-08-2020, 04:47 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,687,366 times
If you have to "pack the courts" to correct the cheating by Republicans that has gone on for the last two appointments, then so be it.

I don't think there is yet a clear answer on what should be done in that regard. Personally, I like to see a very balanced Supreme Court and because of McConnell's cutthroat and hypocritical ways (which when done for your side is lauded, right wing), then there probably should be a counter balance to the hypocrisy. Not sure why she or Biden haven't crafted an answer for this yet. Won't it be up to the Senate anyway, of which they may not have control of if Biden wins the election?

Old 10-08-2020, 04:49 AM

7,602 posts, read 4,180,096 times
I don't get it. Will she have to break laws to pack the Supreme Court or will she have to break feelings?

Old 10-08-2020, 04:50 AM

59,328 posts, read 27,487,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Who is "King Donald?"

Must be someone from a different country because this country has Presidents, not Kings.
"Originally Posted by leastprime
Male perspective. Pence did better. He continually overran his time"

The numbers are in and as usual it was the DEM who "overran her time" and used MORE time then the VP.

4,224 posts, read 2,540,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Incorrect....…. the court exists to determine if a law passed by government is constitutional. The court should follow the letter of the constitution as written. If you disagree with the constitution there is a system in place to change it.
Not even Washington, Hamilton and Madison could agree on its meaning and they were at the Constitutional Convention. Its one reason why during his administration, political parties came about. Was there authority to establish the First Bank of the United States? No. Was there authority for Jefferson to purchase the Louisiana Territory when he was president? No. It wasn't until much later that it was agreed that the federal government had the authority to build roads and canals.

2,227 posts, read 1,412,155 times
Both were quite good compared to the presidential debate, but I have to hand it off to pence for his composure. Kamala’s statements made me cringe at times.
I may not agree with the policies pence has put forward, but he has a respectable personality.

Old 10-08-2020, 04:53 AM

764 posts, read 236,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Not even Washington, Hamilton and Madison could agree on its meaning and they were at the Constitutional Convention. Its one reason why during his administration, political parties came about. Was there authority to establish the First Bank of the United States? No. Was there authority for Jefferson to purchase the Louisiana Territory when he was president? No. It wasn't until much later that it was agreed that the federal government had the authority to build roads and canals.
Never the less it was ratified...………. so it was close enough that they agreed on it. And this does not change the purpose of the Supreme Court.

Old 10-08-2020, 04:54 AM

59,328 posts, read 27,487,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I agree. The first debate got lost in the vitriol. But this time I was hoping for substance. Both sometimes gave answers that seemed more like commercials or campaign ads rather than addressing the question with relevant details. There were times when they actually did get into the details specifically for the question, but some crucial points were missed.

What is the healthcare plan for Trump/Pence?

Why were Democrats so staunchly against the Police reform bill brought by Republicans back in the summer?

The hardest part for me was in the "deflection" by Pence on the super spreader event = SCOTUS nomination. They didn't have masks, ignored social distancing, and were also indoors at various times. It wasn't all outdoors as shown. Pence just brushed it off as "we were outside".

But Pence did bring a good point about statistics in racial disparities in legal punishment for Kamala's home state. He made the irony clear. But Kamala just responded by "don't lecture me" which was apparently to insinuate she had done some things that counter the statistics Pence cited. But what were they? It wasn't answered deeply. As for Pence, the Republicans want to dismantle ACA but won't really say it. Is abortion truly going to get scrutinized by the SCOTUS if Barrett is approved? They both left gray areas of unresolved details.

To me, it seemed like a draw, but given the poll numbers Pence needed to win by like a 3 to 1 margin of opinion. Instead, polls are coming out where it appears many thought Kamala had won. It looks like Steve Schmidt is right about the Trump campaign - the end is near. Recall that Steve Schmidt had been a loyal Republican for years and was a campaign advisor for John McCain. His character was played very well by Woody Harrelson. Steve is like the "Colonel Hackworth" of the political campaigns - he has strong realism with deep experience and aptitude to back it up. In the Vietnam War, Colonel Hackworth was one of the most decorated veterans. But in 1971 Hackworth predicted South Vietnam would fall by 1975. He was politically castigated by the "Brass" and left the military shortly thereafter. The classic "Colonel Kilgore" of "Apocalypse Now" was partially based on Hackworth. But he eventually died of exposure to chemical defoliants in 2005. Schmidt's analysis of the Trump campaign is based on realism and experience from within the deep analytical work and action items that overwhelm Republican campaigns in difficult election cycles like McCain's in 2008. He became frustrated with Trump and is now an independent as I understand it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKv8hjMMxo8
"What is the healthcare plan for Trump/Pence? Everbody has their own issues they think is important.

It is NOT the responsibility of the fed government to PROVED health care to the masses. Sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies