Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 05:09 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Statistics can be fanagled six ways to Sunday. Also, from your link, Wisconsin is #13, while it is #20 in population.
Deaths per million is a pretty straight forward statistic. Wisconsin is clearly #42.

NJ is #1, NY is #2, MA is #3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 05:13 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Deaths per million is a pretty straight forward statistic. Wisconsin is clearly #42.

Thank you!

Old 10-23-2020, 05:15 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Statistics can be fanagled six ways to Sunday. Also, from your link, Wisconsin is #13, while it is #20 in population.

Oh, yes -- in total number of CASES. And it is #2 in number of NEW cases. So what? Again, that counts for very little, imo, unless almost EVERYONE in a state is tested.

And just to throw some possible light on this, in our county this past Monday, the National Guard (I think it was the National Guard, but it might have been some other organization) performed free COVID testing in one of our county's towns. I don't know how many people showed up, and I don't know if they have been having "free testing" sites all over the state, but that MIGHT have something to do with number of new and active cases. Maybe not, but if people have not been identified as having the virus, how would anyone know how many people actually have it as so many infected people have no symptoms or very mild symptoms?

Last edited by katharsis; 10-23-2020 at 05:25 PM..

Old 10-23-2020, 05:35 PM

17,805 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

It may make you feel better to parrot this lie,
It's ironic that they take information from the CDC and misrepresent what the CDC actually reported. Yet they claim it's legit because it is the CDC.

Now of course if the CDC says something they don't like. Like masks are effective in stopping the spread of coronavirus...they say the CDC is trying to undermine Trump.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:59 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:

75% of these deaths happened in March, April, and early May when we were the first states hit hard and had no therapeutics of any sort to use and we were still desperately trying to get adequate PPE for the ICU, much less nursing homes. We didn't even know enough then to routinely put people in prone position or to give anti-coagulants immediately upon hospitalization.

Look at deaths per million from the summer on. It's a very different picture.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:48 PM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
People need to take responsibility for their own health and lifestyle choices.
And people who are sick or who have been exposed to a communicable disease need to stay home. It's hard for me to take responsibility for my own health when there are others around me who do not take responsibility for theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
Under 10,000 of those deaths were directly from Chinese WuFlu. The rest were already chronically ill. We'll likely never know how many died in car wrecks or by other means, but their corpses tested positive so were counted.
I know two people who have died of COVID. Neither were "chronically ill". One was a man about 65 who lived in a personal care home because of severe arthritis. He was healthy otherwise. The other was a man, 42 years old, with no health issues.

You were saying?

Quote:
Just to be on the safe side, you should stay in your house for the rest of your life.

Wanna pay my mortgage? If I'm staying in my house for the rest of my life, I'm going to need to quit my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
No one plans to die, but people with high blood pressure, diabetes, and definitely obese people, tend to die very young.
And for that reason, people with COVID deserve to die. Got it.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:31 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
Under 10,000 of those deaths were directly from Chinese WuFlu. The rest were already chronically ill. We'll likely never know how many died in car wrecks or by other means, but their corpses tested positive so were counted. Just to be on the safe side, you should stay in your house for the rest of your life.
No, all of those deaths were from the coronavirus. Those who die from accidents are not being counted as coronavirus deaths. The idiot that did that with a motorcycle crash was either stupid, ignorant, or both, and that certificate was corrected.

Quote:
Deaths per million is a pretty straight forward statistic.
It may not be as straightforward as you think. When applied to a state it assumes deaths are evenly distributed throughout the population, when they are obviously not. It may in large part just be a measure of how well a state is doing in keeping the virus out of care homes.

For example, Hancock County, GA is at the top of the list of counties in the country in deaths per million, but its total population is less than 9,000, and most of its 44 deaths were in May and June with a significant number of those in two nursing homes. It is not currently a COVID-19 hotspot.

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/...hancock-county

Old 10-24-2020, 08:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
That's the problem. People can't follow those simple rules. They must have parties, they must go to parades and rallies. We don't have to close if people could just TRY A LITTLE BIT to follow a few things.. but no...my freedom.
No parties, no parades, no socializing? That sounds pretty much to me like closing down the country. With no social life there would be a lot more businesses forced to close.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:18 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No parties, no parades, no socializing? That sounds pretty much to me like closing down the country. With no social life there would be a lot more businesses forced to close.
Agreed. From what I see in my area, 99% of people are masking and businesses remain restricted, schools remain or are going back to virtual yet we were just told that we need to scale back again. No matter how “good” we are, it’s just not enough apparently. Can we really hide from a virus? I don’t think we can.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:20 AM

2,400 posts, read 755,704 times
Unless Biden wins then it’s all good bro I believe will be the official stance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies