Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 09:33 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,660,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
This just in:
Trumpers suffer whiplash from "It's a hoax" to "We can't control it". It's too hard...we can't do it. Trump administration is throwing in the towel because his base won't wear a mask or observe social distancing and the administration won't follow the science. When the going gets tough, the Trump gang doesn't know what to do. Trump did this. Disgraceful. Un-American. Defeatist.

Very sad...super spreader Trump won't wear a mask and has no covid plan...rapidly rising deaths (225K+ so far)...the people are fed up and now voting in record numbers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 10:08 PM

7,149 posts, read 4,745,406 times
What kind of plan do all the “No plan!!” complainers want to see enforced? Do you want the country locked down until no cases are reported at all? Should people be arrested for not wearing a mask? Should all restaurants be put out of business? Are all schools supposed to be e-learning only? Should we close all public shopping facilities? Just what exactly do you want. Either explain or quit complaining already. Good grief.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:11 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Very sad...super spreader Trump won't wear a mask and has no covid plan...rapidly rising deaths (225K+ so far)...the people are fed up and now voting in record numbers...
You are all out WRONG. The positive cases are at 225k, not deaths. It is a FACT that most people infected from COVID-19 have only a mild and brief illness at worst. Many have no symptoms at all, up to 40% of them. Most people in this forum who tested positive will tell you that is exactly how it's like. For the contrary, most people who die from covid were older people past age 65, such as those in nursing homes, already slowly dying from some other serious ailment.

I don't hear of people who attended Trump's outdoor rallies complaining about coming down with COVID-19 and being very sick from it, much less any deaths. So we might as well return to fully opening stadiums to the crowds for football.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:31 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
This is the chart I follow - hospitalizations nationwide. It helps put things in perspective, showing 10 out of 100,000 elderly are hospitalized. That's not much.
Looks like we're doing pretty well, keeping our distance, washing our hands and most of all - we are quarantining ourselves when we have been exposed.
There is really nothing else that can be done...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...iew/index.html

Old 10-26-2020, 12:23 AM

2,450 posts, read 973,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Clearly they have bought into that nihilistic Trumpian philosophy of letting it run rampant and just treating the survivors.
It worked in other parts of the world.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:08 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,485,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Says you. That's alleged deaths. If you take out the number of deaths were only 'Covid-related' but not directly Covid-only deaths...that number drops significantly. Nice try, but I ain't buying your 'truth'....
Excess deaths numbers beg to differ. Sorry if facts confuse you.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6942e2.htm

Old 10-26-2020, 02:17 AM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I doubt you even wear masks correctly. It goes beyond just covering your nose and mouth. You are supposed to change a mask every time you go to a different place, or else you are potentially carry the virus from one place to another. Also, if your mask gets the virus on it in store A and you wear that same mask into your car and into store B then you are increasing your own exposure. Even those who wear a mask over their mouths and noses wear the same mask for hours, and sometimes, days.

I have been wearing the same mask into stores and doctors since May/June? I am allergic to elastic. One dr's office gave me a paper mask that had ties instead of elastic. I've used it so long that the metal is coming out and nearly poked me in the eye few weeks ago. I tied the ties into loops so I can wear it over my ears. It's very painful for me to keep trying to tie something behind my head. I have a spinal cord injury and a bad back. I have trouble even brushing my hair. The mask tastes horrible from a summer's worth of sweat. When I wear it and inhale it enters my mouth and I can't avoid the taste while the material is choking me at times. I have severe asthma. I struggle to breathe. Been thinking of scotch-taping a napkin on my face to do my grocery shopping.

Good grief. Get some washable masks with ties rather than elastic. Change them often. You do not have to change it every few minutes if you go from store to store. Just do not touch it until you are ready to take it off when you finish shopping. Have a zip bag to put used masks in until you wash them. Wash or sanitize your hands after taking the mask off.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Atmos-M...H3H4SD1GDDXXCH

Medical masks like the one you have:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=medical+m...l_95yqpuatf5_e

Old 10-26-2020, 04:02 AM

7,499 posts, read 7,190,021 times
Very well stayed and quite simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Good grief. Get some washable masks with ties rather than elastic. Change them often. You do not have to change it every few minutes if you go from store to store. Just do not touch it until you are ready to take it off when you finish shopping. Have a zip bag to put used masks in until you wash them. Wash or sanitize your hands after taking the mask off.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Atmos-M...H3H4SD1GDDXXCH

Medical masks like the one you have:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=medical+m...l_95yqpuatf5_e

Old 10-26-2020, 04:48 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,712,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
What kind of plan do all the “No plan!!” complainers want to see enforced? Do you want the country locked down until no cases are reported at all? Should people be arrested for not wearing a mask? Should all restaurants be put out of business? Are all schools supposed to be e-learning only? Should we close all public shopping facilities? Just what exactly do you want. Either explain or quit complaining already. Good grief.
^^^Seems as if most of the complaining comes from a place of negativity stemming from ignorance and fear of reality. A country cannot overcome any of its issues, whether they be public health, economic or national security, by kicking the can down the road. What the above poster is complaining about, is chaos due to the national interest not being the objective from those in leadership and from those who have viewed the pandemic as a partisan political issue as opposed to a public health crisis that affects each and every one of us. America does need a cohesive and coherent plan so we can all row together to get to shore. And they have been proposed and do exist.

Answers to the questions above have been addressed and solutions and plans and strategies have been outlined and in some cases implemented by courageous leaders at state and local levels of government....all based on science and public health and from professionals and experts from within our own federal government ---only to have them sabotaged by the highest levels of leadership. The result is chaos and conspiracy and turmoil as opposed to the people understanding the problems and facing the challenges head on with the goal of getting our nation and its people to shore.

Public health emergencies require disciplined, trustworthy leadership grounded in science. In a moment of crisis, leadership requires listening to experts and communicating credible information to the American public.

Many of the above posters questions have been addressed only to have the plan and solutions turned into partisan issues and negative political talking points. Our public health experts and medical and science professionals have told us that we need a decisive public health response that ensures the wide availability of free testing; the elimination of cost barriers to preventive care and treatment for COVID-19; Of course the development of a safe vaccine that will not have been tainted by politics ; strategies utilizing private and federal expertise to deploy necessary supplies, personnel, and to operate facilities where needed, etc. These are the plans proposed that some would rather deny, undermine or blow up as opposed to joining forces to move forward with the national interest in mind.

Many of the above posters questions have been addressed but we have seen them turned into political self interests as opposed to the national interest, as well. Of course public health goes hand in hand with economic and national security. You can't have economic security without public health. That goes for national security as well. They go hand in hand and are not exclusive of each other. Many have tried to get this across and yet we seem to be mired in fighting as opposed to rowing together. A decisive economic response starts with emergency paid leave for all those affected by the outbreak and gives all necessary help to workers, families, and small businesses that are hit hard by this crisis. We cannot just pretend that there are not mounting economic challenges and larger macro-economic shock coming.

Plans are out there to the questions the above poster poses. Cohesive plans from science experts, medical and public health professionals and elected leaders whose job it is to have the courage to address the challenges that our nation faces. These are big problems we have: pretending they do not exist, and saying if they did once exist, they are now gone, is not a plan. Neither is sabotaging and poking holes in the short and long term plans that courageous people have proposed and tried to implement; plans that might get us through our very real public health, economic and national security issues. Plans that are tough, but necessary to get America rowing toward the shore of public health which will result in that economic and national security that we all want and need.

This is no time for Americans to become crybabies and cowards and say it is too hard to work together to achieve public health, because it might make one self-interested American upset.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 10-26-2020 at 05:06 AM..

Old 10-26-2020, 08:06 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
A leader who listens, comprehends and acts in the best interest of the country. "A plan" is what leaders are supposed to have - it is not a solution but a method of working through a challenge. It is not too much to expect.

The idea that we either ignore it or shut everything down completely and indefinitely is just hyperbole. There is a great deal of real estate between those extremes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies