Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2020, 02:29 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Early Disunionist, page 807
Early Secesionist, page 515

Harper's magazine. v.24 Dec. 1861-May 1862.
Give me strength. The Confederacy seceded to maintain the institution of slavery. That was the raging debate in the 1850s and 1860s. People also wrote articles about past debates over state vs. federal authority and the legality of secession. The existence of these articles does not clear the slave states of being, well, slave states.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:29 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The Taliban has nothing to do with this. The OP is comparing those who want Robert E. Lee's statue removed to the Taliban. The OP wants the Robert E. Lee statue to remain up. People like me want it taken down, and never put in places of public honor ever again.
People today wouldn't know honor if it jumped up and bit them in the buttocks --- so, yep, I'm right there with you --- those Statues have no place in today's society and should be removed, least they learn something they shouldn't.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:30 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Don't you just hate it when people vote for someone you don't like I understand the feeling, getting ready to countdown and see Donny moving out of the White House.
I'll bite. I don't like Gov. Northam. I don't like that he was involved in that Blackface crap. I find it disgusting. At the same time, I think said person only brought up Northam as a deflection. This thread is about Robert E. Lee's statue being removed. Bringing up Northam was a deflection. Rather than say "I don't like that Robert E. Lee's statue is being torn down", one makes up a deflection argument.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Splitting hairs I see...
No, it's sort of the point. Statues in the town square serve a function - to commemorate and honor someone.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:32 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
People today wouldn't know honor if it jumped up and bit them in the buttocks --- so, yep, I'm right there with you --- those Statues have no place in today's society and should be removed, least they learn something they shouldn't.
You can learn something from history's morally bad actors without needing to erect statues to them in public places.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Early Disunionist, page 807
Early Secesionist, page 515

Harper's magazine. v.24 Dec. 1861-May 1862.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Give me strength. The Confederacy seceded to maintain the institution of slavery. That was the raging debate in the 1850s and 1860s. People also wrote articles about past debates over state vs. federal authority and the legality of secession. The existence of these articles does not clear the slave states of being, well, slave states.
I'm sorry it wasn't polished and written in your history book --- looks to me like you may need strength, and I can't give you that either.

//discussion as there is no point. But the material is there for you to read and there is more where that came from, if you are really interested.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
//discussion as there is no point.
I should've quit 5 posts ago. When do I learn?

6,738 posts, read 4,422,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I will chime in. As an African-American who grew up in the South, whose father is from the Midwest, and whose mother is from the South, this is what I see. Whenever I hear someone say "southern heritage", it's really a dog whistle and a cop out. I understand it as someone who has grown up in Georgia. I can legitimately claim southern heritage. My mother is a southerner. My father is a northerner (from the Midwest) but his parents are from the South. Like a majority of African-Americans, my ancestors spent generations in the South. It's a joke to me. I actually have southern roots, like most African-Americans do. Most African-Americans can't identify with the Confederates. A majority of African-Americans (a majority of whom are southerners) do not like the Confederate flag.

I've actually told people "hey, the Confederate flag represents the pro-slavery cause". The response was rather swift and peppered with anger. I get the feeling that even if I showed said persons proof, said persons would not accept it. This is the way I understand it. It does not represent southern heritage for Black people. It's a racially charged issue, but an issue for which few will admit is racially charged. Race is wrapped up in all of this, big time.

Depends on what your thinking of when you see these monuments. Tens of thousands of young men, teenagers left home never to return and mothers never knew what happened to then, possibly waiting for years for them to return. Some as young as 12 were used as cavalry buglers and drummer boys, and got killed just the same. I see these monuments not just as the person you see standing there, but a monument to remember that they fought, no matter what side.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
You can learn something from history's morally bad actors without needing to erect statues to them in public places.
Those today advocating for abortion rights are seen by some as bad actors --- and no, I don't think anyone learns anything about history, beyond that of the official narrative and what they would have people believe. Most folks are not even the least bit curious.

Old 12-28-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry it wasn't polished and written in your history book --- looks to me like you may need strength, and I can't give you that either.

//discussion as there is no point. But the material is there for you to read and there is more where that came from, if you are really interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I should've quit 5 posts ago. When do I learn?
That that you applied yourself to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies