Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 08:51 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It was a cornerstone of antebellum culture that black people were inferior and that slavery subordination to the superior race was their natural and normal condition. I think that qualifies as "bad". Do you disagree?
I would also add this. Before the 1970s, the most prosperous Blacks lived outside of the South (ghettos were everywhere in America, including the South). The reason so many prosperous Blacks live in the South, are these reasons: Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, northern Virginia, All all this is relatively recent (late 1970s-now). Blacks were fleeing the South between the 1900s and 1960s. Blacks started moving to the South again during the 1970s and after and only to certain cities, such as the ones I mentioned. Many Blacks started moving to Texas again during the 70s and 80s, after decades of leaving Texas.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:53 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
PS just in case you are missing it --- the Statues? What do they represent? Free Speech? If not, how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I would argue that we are going beyond constitutional rights in the case of taxpayer funded monuments that grace public spaces, but hey, at least we know where you stand. So you support the preservation of these traitorous confederate statues and monuments (many of which were intended to promote and justify Jim Crow laws in the south I might add).

Well sir, I respectfully disagree.
You just disagreed with Free Speech --- you know that right? And unequal justice. Tax payers funds the government do they not? --- And I respectfully disagree with you. Free Speech needs to stay and everyone with the right to it as they are paying to have it.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Motivation for succession --- they did not want to be made slave to a government dictating to them ...
Quote:
What an interesting turn of phrase. Am I to take it that "being made slave" is kind of bad?
You should know --- the Government is our master today. And they tell you that 'you are a good citizen'.
PS: you know what citizen is code word for right?

Old 12-29-2020, 09:00 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Quote:
You just disagreed with Free Speech --- you know that right? And unequal justice. Tax payers funds the government do they not? --- And I respectfully disagree with you. Free Speech needs to stay and everyone with the right to it as they are paying to have it.
So to apply your own logic, I take it that you are equally in support of the graffiti that was applied to the Robert E. Lee statue during the George Floyd protests? They were merely exercising free speech, correct?

Old 12-29-2020, 09:03 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
So to apply your own logic, I take it that you are equally in support of the graffiti that was applied to the Robert E. Lee statue during the George Floyd protests? They were merely exercising free speech, correct?
Or people burning Confederate flags.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, you can leave it --- as we grow we learn, they should look back as to those actions, when they learn different.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Or people burning Confederate flags.
u.s. flag, Bible you name it, its been burned. some have even burned bras ---

Old 12-29-2020, 09:29 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,436,629 times
Quote:
Sure, it was harmony and respect.

And if you put down To Kill A Mockingbird with the impression that blacks in the south were content, I'm not sure you understood it.
Read To Kill a Mockingbird;

Calpurnia was happy with her life, and the whites treated her with respect.

Then read Go Set a Watchman.

Twenty years later the NAACP from the north come in and tell them to want more, and unhappiness reigns.

The whites lose their sympathies for the blacks, and fighting starts.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
It was a cornerstone of antebellum culture that black people were inferior and that slavery subordination to the superior race was their natural and normal condition. I think that qualifies as "bad". Do you disagree?
No.

Most confederate soldiers never saw a slave in their life.

Southern culture was more than black slavery, it was about hierarchy and stability, something the industrial north could not offer.

The foods, architecture, etc. were all unique to the region. They were fighting for a way of life.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Blacks are prospering in Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Durham. They are also prospering in Northern Virginia. These are places that let go of their antebellum ways. Mississippi hasn't let go. Many parts of Alabama haven't let go. Arkansas hasn't. Antebellum culture was not good for Blacks, or the South. Prove me wrong. And come up with some tangibles as to why you think antebellum culture is a good thing. I also notice you did not bother to refute anything I had to say.
Where are these prosperous cities outside of the south?

What about Chicago, NYC, Milwaukee, Oakland, LA, Detroit, Ferguson, or Clevland?

Blacks their have fatherless households, crime, and drugs.

Southern cities are not urban cores like DC or Manhattan with people wondering the streets, they are sprawling suburbs and networks of small towns.

Blacks have their own communities separate from the whites, they have southern churches, family gatherings, and stronger community ties.

Look at south Carolina, blacks there are more sophisticated than their counterparts in Baltimore.

Why is this, tell me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies