Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 01:55 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
They're so smart that they believe Biden won in a landslide, yet the GOP picked up 10+ seats in the House of Representatives.
Yup. That is another disconnect. Voters rejected the liberalism of the New Democrat Party, yet voted for Biden who would be replaced in short order by Harris, the most leftist senator of the bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 01:56 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Ok, I’m back after looking at Rowling’s list of facts. The ONLY one I would question is that there were 6 swing states that stopped counting. I’m not sure how many of them there were. But I do know that I was watching the returns late at night when one state, seemingly out of the blue, announced they were quitting for the night and would resume counting in the morning. I was stunned. NEVER has a state simply stopped counting. The count goes on all night if needed.
Which state allowed people to vote for "weeks after the election"?

Does it really need to be explained that Trump could out perform prior R's and still lose in the election that had the highest turnout in history? Is that relevant proof of fraud?

It has been disproven that "observers were not allowed to watch" (Trump's own team was disallowed, as per standard protocol in the place it happened)

Where is the source that "turnout was down in all but a few cities"?

(Short reply, sorry. I need to get back to my work.)

Old 11-17-2020, 01:56 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
The same way I interact with people who think Trump was elected because of Russia.

Old 11-17-2020, 01:57 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Just to be clear, I would never say to the person "see the light". I'm talking candidly here, because we all know we're here to debate politics.

And Chuckity, we have a million wonderful things to talk about, but this one is what is bothering me right now. Would you feel better if I made a long post talking about the fine dinner we had together the other day? Or maybe I could fill you in on our ongoing differences about what constitutes "good music" (we have a lot of laughs about that topic.)

We have plenty in common, but to your point, Politics DOES belong on the P&OC forum. Things we agree on doesn't really rise to Politics or "other contraversies". Just saying....
How about:

"Well, officially no one has been named president elect yet. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Let's chat again when that happens."

And DROP IT.

Are people that idiotic that they literally can't do that?

Old 11-17-2020, 01:57 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yup. That is another disconnect. Voters rejected the liberalism of the New Democrat Party, yet voted for Biden who would be replaced in short order by Harris, the most leftist senator of the bunch.
Voters rejected liberalism and Trumpism. How is that so hard to understand. It was a defeat to the Dems, but the fact is that voters wanted SOUND CONSERVATIVE POLICIES. Trump and his bombastic style is not for everyone. I have a LOT of lifelong republicans who reject Trump. Don't you?

Old 11-17-2020, 02:03 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Voters rejected liberalism and Trumpism. How is that so hard to understand. It was a defeat to the Dems, but the fact is that voters wanted SOUND CONSERVATIVE POLICIES. Trump and his bombastic style is not for everyone. I have a LOT of lifelong republicans who reject Trump. Don't you?
No I don’t. All my Republican friends voted for him, and every last one is very upset about the fraud involved. I have only one Democrat friend, and we have agreed not to discuss it. That is because she, like you, comes across that she is right and I just can’t “see the light.” It’s insulting to my intelligence, so the only way we maintain a relationship is to avoid the topic. That would be my suggestion for you, in the situation you’re asking about.

As far as Trump bombastic style, I don’t like it. Sometimes he says things that make me cringe. But he’s made a lot of very good decisions, and the alternative to him was a far-left Harris. (Biden won’t last a year.) I vote based on policies, not personality.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:04 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,048 times
Quote:
Not really looking to debate it at this point. If you still believe he won, or that Biden is stealing it, I respect your right to believe that, I just disagree to a point where I'm not going to be convinced.

For everyone else who understands how US Elections are run, how are you dealing with people you otherwise love and respect, who are using conspiracy theories to still believe there is any doubt.

How do you respond to someone who thinks any "facts" that disagree with them are fake, but any facts that do agree with them are indisputable?

How do you convince them that both US and Int'l election watchers have overwhelmingly said this was a clean election?

How do you argue with them when they claim that election monitors were denied access, when in fact all the LEGAL montors were allowed to do their work?

How do you make them understand that just because Trump said there was fraud doesn't mean there was fraud? Why has he not presented the first bit of evidence, if there is any?

How do you convince someone how crazy it is to believe that all the courts, all the news media, all of our allies, and all of the states are able to manage a conspiracy JUST to get Trump out of office?

How do you convince them that they believed the results in 2016, even though the were much closer, but now, in a landslide, they think it's fake?

I'm really asking sincerely. Someone I love a lot still believes the election is a fraud. They claim to be informed, but if they did the slightest bit of learning how elections work, they'd realize it is not possible to steal on the scale they are claiming. They would see the lawsuits, even if ending in their favor, would not overturn the election.

I'm really struggling. I respect this person, but their intention to ignore reality makes me question their sincerety on other issues. How can I constructively allow them to see that even if they don't like the results, they are legit.

Can you show the light to someone who doesn't want to see it?
Its remarkable how the media and Biden campaign and every LIB out there is adamant the elction was pristine and no fraud at all. The word "fraud" is not allowed on some TV stations now. This hysterical response across the land has me convinced there is foul stuff going on.......the DEMS were even bragging about taking the election and then they did............we shall see who is right

Old 11-17-2020, 02:07 PM

2,445 posts, read 1,067,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Point and laugh?
Why your looking in the mirror

Old 11-17-2020, 02:13 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
I didn't read all these posts - just answer the OP - The Same Way I dealt with people the last for years who still believe Hillary won.

Not picking teams - I'm just saying - there are nuts on both sides. I deal with all of them the same - I leave the room. Too much in this world to enjoy to waste a minute of it arguing sense with an irrational person.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:25 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Their heads are so filled with lies and alternative facts from right wing misinformation outlets that reasoning with them is just not possible. Avoid the issue if you can't and end your friendship if not. This is not a treatable disease.
Nope, just like liberals wanted to believe trump is a racist and that he and Putin got together to steal the election in 2016, some conservatives want to believe the election was stolen and is not over.

Make sense??!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies