Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 12:46 PM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKafrican1 View Post
Blacks Americans didn’t wake up one day and decided to be violent.
Yep.

Blacks didn't make up a disproportionate amount of violent criminals in the first half of the 1900s like they do today. Something happened. Perhaps more and more single parent homes is part of it. Studies show that single parent home kids are significantly more likely to have bad life outcomes across the board including on crime - this is true even if you adjust for race, income, and location.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:00 PM

254 posts, read 114,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
So black people born in 1990-2000 have learned how to riot from whites?

Cry me a river. We are all in this pot together. Black people are not some sacred racial group that can’t ever be discussed or understood by anyone. We are all humans.

And to be honest with you, I don’t really seek to understand violence or violent people, whatever race they are. I just want them stopped.

Trump increased his share of the minority vote. It was white people who increasingly voted Democrat this election and helped Biden win.

The OP asked why I said his beliefs were wrong and I think the main one is with violent crime based on race. There are vast differences between the races, even when you only look at individuals in poverty. Yes, the poor commit more crime no matter what race, but it is by no means equal.

I’m not implying in the slightest that one race is better or worse than another. My background is Sicilian and there were a lot of cultural problems within the Sicilian communities when my family came here in the 1930s. I have a really Sicilian sounding name, so I got teased a lot as a kid, called a gangster or Mafioso. Sicilians didn’t play the victim card, over time they improved their culture where violent criminal activity was no longer seen as a legitimate way to make a living.

The more the black community cries about how nobody understands them because some ancestor from 180 years ago was a slave, and how all their troubles are because of everyone else, the longer their communities will suffer.

In the words of some famous dead guy:
“I’m starting with the man in the mirror. I’m asking him to change his ways...If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and then make a change.”
Yes !! It’s handed down from generation to generation. The same way white supremacy is handed down from generation to generation. We didn’t come to this country with violent behavior we learned from White Americans. Through history We had thriving neighborhoods schools etc but what happen to those? Angry violent white men destroyed them all across this country.We’ve only had 50 plus years to make strides to be better.

The fact that you would say that we are “crying about the injustices that have been happening to black Americans since we were brought over here lets me know that you lack the understanding and knowledge to have this conversation. It’s a typical response from non black people. I am the first person in my family to be born with full rights. It’s only been 56 years since black people truly have been free in this country.

You need to do a lot of research on policies that have been put in place that have truly effected Black Americans when it comes to housing, education, Criminal justice system, banking and the list goes on. Not to mention when it comes to equal pay!! How black Americans are paid way less than there white counterparts for the same jobs and same education. Yes black americans have a lot of work to do internally but lets not act like our majority white government hasn’t played a part in some of the things that plague the black community including things like trying to suppress black votes.

If you need information on these things to get a better understanding I can send you some information. We aren’t crying but we are just asking America to live up to its promises that all men are treated equally.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:05 PM

254 posts, read 114,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Yep.

Blacks didn't make up a disproportionate amount of violent criminals in the first half of the 1900s like they do today. Something happened. Perhaps more and more single parent homes is part of it. Studies show that single parent home kids are significantly more likely to have bad life outcomes across the board including on crime - this is true even if you adjust for race, income, and location.

I’m sorry single parent homes doesn’t mean that there fathers aren’t in there lives nor does it mean that the kids are going to turn out bright and make great decisions. Plenty of people are in two parent households and the households are a hot mess.

Also this narrative thats been spewed for a long time. Specifically by White Americans. It has been debunked over and over and over again.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:09 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,848,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I think the video of looting is the video. It's not like certain video clips of looting are being suppressed that contain Asian people in it. The biggest part for me is that this rioting and looting is not denounced by community leaders more strongly and those leaders fight back against getting help to suppress the violence.

You watch mass chaos and violence being committed, and yes most of the rioting video has predominantly black people in it, with some white people as well. Most people are horrified by it, and then you turn on the news to see a local leader speak and they talk about how its within people's rights to protest and those protests don't have to be peaceful. Or that the black community is tired of whatever it is, so they get to loot and riot. Or because POC are poor, they have a right to rob stores.

This is when you start to think maybe some of us are playing on different teams here. If the news media would highlight more black leaders speaking out strongly against this kind of violence, I think it would go a long way. There are black leaders who speak out against it, but that's not who the media wants you to listen to.

You can't pretend somehow that there is widespread issues with violence and criminal activity in Asian-American communities in order to ignore problems in other communities. The data does not lie.
Scroll to the 1:07:51 mark and listen to this great speech. She will never be shown on the mainstream media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwZW...castingNetwork

Old 11-21-2020, 01:23 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
This is my thought. I do not deny that the Black American population is a minority of the U.S. population, but overrepresented in violent crime, and incarceration. What is bothersome for me are people whose only reason for talking about it is to justify their hatred/disdain for Black people. That is my perspective on race and crime. The statistics themselves do not paint a pretty picture. On the other hand, discussing this issue is made very difficult because of WHY some people want to talk about it. It's not so much about the statistics themselves. I've put up on previous threads the Black homicide rate in states like Missouri, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin. I've mentioned it willingly. On the flip side, as a Black man, I am not comfortable discussing this topic with those who only bring up race and crime to justify their disdain for Black people.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:04 PM

2,828 posts, read 826,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
In light of some recent threads concerning the topic , I thought I'd fire up one of my own for the purpose of condensing my own thoughts on the matter .

So first of all I think the way data collection regarding the subject is done in this country is completely ridiculous , because it fails to take into consideration the huge class differences within a race with respect to this issue when comparing rates between different races ...

In other words were a proper study to be done , I'd bet an eighth ( or maybe even a quarter ) of my paycheck that one would find that the crime rate for lower/working class men of all races is fairly similar when compared to middle class men of all races , and so on up the line .

For example if one were to line up the white lower/working class boys and their black counterparts from my graduating year and go over their rap sheets , then you'd find that they would be much closer to each other than their middle class varieties of both racial counterparts .

Of course there would be major differences with respect to types of crime committed ( with the white boys leading the charge with respect to assault/violent crime and the black boys leading the charge with respect to drug offenses ) but said differences ( IMHO ) can be attributed to the different criminal cultural styles if you will , that exist between various races .

A topic that would take a whole different thread unto itself , yet suffice to say that certain racial/ethnic categories in this country have developed ( typically ) lower/working class criminal subcultures that exalt distinct criminal archetypes , two of which I'll be briefly fleshing out below .

One is the streetwise money making hustler , more prominent among White Ethnic ( Irish , Italian , Polish , etc. ) and Black American criminal , and the other more prominent among Old Stock ( for purposes of this discussion basically redneck ) White American and Hispanic criminals is the badass outlaw warrior .

Streetwise money making hustlers are pretty much money making oriented criminals , whereas badass outlaw warriors are pretty much action or muscle power oriented criminals , with the distinction perhaps seeming meaningless but still important as I'll describe below .

After all when one compares the Italian American Mafia ( representing White Ethnics ) and any of the sophisticated Black American drug syndicates ( like Rick Ross's organization ) to the Aryan Brotherhood or La Eme , then what are the two big differences one can immediately notice ?

One ( the Mafia and Black drug syndicates ) rules with brains/business finesse , while the other ( the AB and La Eme ) rules through fear via their propensity to dish out brutal violence .

Of course one aspect doesn't cancel the other , but the point is I highly doubt that one can dispute that LCN families and Black drug syndicates have derived much of their power from their knowledge of knowing how to game the system/play the angles , whereas the AB and La Eme have always mainly relied on the fact of inspiring sheer terror through their use of brutal violence .

These differences can be attributed to the specific cultural values the criminal subcultures from which these organizations have sprung forth from , as opposed to any intrinsic racial difference IMHO .

I could go on , but for the sake of brevity I'll continue on in my next post where I'll delve into why I think the Asian crime rate in this country is underreported and thus artificially low , as well as my thoughts on common non gang affiliated criminals of all races .
https://theredelephants.com/black-cr...p0uHTPsgudDcYg

Old 11-21-2020, 04:11 PM

888 posts, read 806,565 times
Knee to the neck or bullet to the head we need to get these criminals off the streets.

Old 11-21-2020, 05:13 PM

724 posts, read 504,188 times
Quote:
This conversation has to have historical context to it. Blacks Americans didn’t wake up one day and decided to be violent. Many times these white Americans lack the historical context to understand how blacks Americans got to where we are today. We aren’t any different than white Americans who have a long history of killing stealing and destroying the lives of others. We don’t have this long history. I don’t mind having this.type of conversation with white Americans as long as they have a understanding of black America. Not having conversation based on what they see at the surface level.

I honestly mean no offense man/whatever you wish to be addressed as , but the topic you seem to be bringing up is quite different to that which is my stated intent of the thread , which is why I won't address it here .

That said maybe I'll be able to weigh in on it on another thread , though to be perfectly honest I highly doubt I'll do as much , since ( IMHO ) this a classic " been done a thousand times " dead horse/extremely divisive topic that never results in productive civil discussion .

And at the risk of sounding pompous , the main reason I participate on this section of City Data is for the purpose of attempting to advance the goal of trying to get people of different demographic groups to get along better , which ( in my experience ) conversations of this sort do nothing to advance .

Old 11-21-2020, 05:32 PM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
I’m sorry single parent homes doesn’t mean that there fathers aren’t in there lives nor does it mean that the kids are going to turn out bright and make great decisions. Plenty of people are in two parent households and the households are a hot mess.

Also this narrative thats been spewed for a long time. Specifically by White Americans. It has been debunked over and over and over again.
This has been debunked? What exactly has been debunked? What facts are you denying?

In all sincerity, the problem is the left wants to have this conversation, but they refuse to have an honest conversation.

Are you denying that black kids are more likely to grow up in single parent homes?

Are you denying that kids raised in single parent homes aren't more likely to have bad life outcomes including with crime even if you adjust for race, income, and location?

More crime, more dropping out of school, more suicide, more depression, lower grades, etc... I am so shocked that more parenting better than less parenting. I am so shocked that family stability is better than less stability.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...it-crimes.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/ar...-crime/265860/

https://comparecamp.com/single-parent-statistics/

Effects of Fatherless Families on Crime Rates [Marripedia]

https://www.mnpsych.org/index.php%3F...news%26id%3D54

https://www.unitedfamilies.org/child...rty-and-crime/

https://lifeisbeautiful.org/statisti...herless-homes/

https://www.heritage.org/crime-and-j...age-family-and

Old 11-21-2020, 05:34 PM

724 posts, read 504,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is my thought. I do not deny that the Black American population is a minority of the U.S. population, but overrepresented in violent crime, and incarceration. What is bothersome for me are people whose only reason for talking about it is to justify their hatred/disdain for Black people. That is my perspective on race and crime. The statistics themselves do not paint a pretty picture. On the other hand, discussing this issue is made very difficult because of WHY some people want to talk about it. It's not so much about the statistics themselves. I've put up on previous threads the Black homicide rate in states like Missouri, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin. I've mentioned it willingly. On the flip side, as a Black man, I am not comfortable discussing this topic with those who only bring up race and crime to justify their disdain for Black people.

Unfortunately the issue of Black American crime rates has become an extremely/unnecessarily politicized issue in this society , which is part of the reason why I've started up this thread to showcase my opinion as to why ( IMHO ) crime is a much more complex issue than the way it shows up in heavily politicized society level debates .

For instance it's also a fact that ( as far as federal level RICO indictments go ) white males of Italian descent are disproportionately charged with offenses relating to bookmaking/loansharking/extortion , while white males who are members of 1%er motorcycle clubs are also disproportionately charged with offenses relating to meth and arms trafficking .

Those issues on the other hand aren't at all politicized in the sense of showing up in ongoing national level discussions related to crime , which is part of the reason why I think the current discussion is flawed at many levels , since if one were to honestly dissect the issue of criminal demographics in this country then one would probably find that all sorts of demographic groups are over represented in all sorts of categories of crime .

I mean one might find while thoroughly reviewing ( f.ex ) cases of complex financial fraud , that people who graduated with a degree in accounting at a specific university in this country were much more likely to get convicted for perpetrating that sort of crime then their counterparts who graduated with a a degree in the same field at others , and so on down the line .

In short the issue of demographics and crime is an ever changing one , what with the possibility of studies concluding that ( f.ex ) people convicted of precious metals trafficking are more likely to wear red socks than people convicted of timber trafficking , which makes the out sized role they take in current debates regarding crime all the more unnecessary IMHO .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies