Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2021, 04:33 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times

Advertisements

Meh.
Baseball teams change their names regularly, if infrequently. It's not that big a deal.

I think the new name- Guardians- is just fine. Better than most name changes, as "Indian" and "Guardian" are similar in sound.

Their old mascot, Chief Wahoo, could even be put back to use with a change of headwear and with a different facial color.

Guardians is neutral, so it can go on forever. All the oldest teams have neutrality in their names: Cubs, Cardinals, Phillies, A's, Reds, Pirates, Dodgers, Twins.

The franchise can always be sold and moved to another. city. It's an advantage to have a team name that can be moved without changing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 04:40 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Meh.
Baseball teams change their names regularly, if infrequently. It's not that big a deal.

I think the new name- Guardians- is just fine. Better than most name changes, as "Indian" and "Guardian" are similar in sound.

Their old mascot, Chief Wahoo, could even be put back to use with a change of headwear and with a different facial color.
Baseball teams don't change their names regularly. That is false, laughably so. I can't imagine what you're even thinking about that would make you think that statement is true.

Last edited by tribecavsbrowns; 07-24-2021 at 05:18 PM..

Old 07-24-2021, 06:15 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The baseball club in Cleveland was named the "Indians" 105 years ago in honor of Louis Sockalexis, a Mainer and member of the Penobscot Indian tribe who compiled a .315 average during his brief career in Cleveland. But now George Floyd so...
MLB hates Indians and wants to remove them from its history.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:17 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Meh.
No, they don't. And it is a big deal.

Quote:
"Guardian" can be quite offensive to kids who grew up in a "Guardian" home for orphan kids.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:39 PM

34,234 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Works for me.

I'm doing a very interesting study of American History, I've mentioned it here. A part of that study is Christopher Columbus, and his mistaken notion, 600 years ago, that when he landed in Central America he'd sailed all the way to India.

Thus naming the people there, in Central America Indians. In Central America.

So really, it's a bit absurd to refer to a tribe of indigenous people in Central America as Indians. Even MORE absurd, to name a group in what is now Maine, Indians, based on the mistaken notion that the Central Americans were Indians. When we start there, it's easy to see why some 600 years later, maybe we should change the name of the baseball team? How about the Mainers?

Fun fact, Columbus never made it to India, NOR did he ever set foot in what is now the United States.
So what. The only reason Europeans settled the New World including North America is Columbus. Thank him you're here.

The Indians owners are idiots.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:43 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Guardians actually makes more sense...if you were from here, you would know we have 8 Statues on the Hope Memorial Bridge right next to the stadium called The Guardians of Traffic...they were built w/ the bridge in the early 1930s. They are distinctly Cleveland...where as "Indians" has no real tie to Cleveland...the fact that Indigenous groups have protested the name for 50+ years, and the franchise has not won a title since 1948, a name change could be just what was ordered...btw, the team has changed its name several times before 1915.

As a huge Cleveland sports fan, I fully embrace this change...I just wish they'd work on the logo lol.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:52 PM

13,692 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, they don't. And it is a big deal.

"Guardian" can be quite offensive to kids who grew up in a "Guardian" home for orphan kids.
I think you mean "foster care".

I have never heard of your term.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:07 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
The Washington Football Team is so much better than the Cleveland Guardians.

What makes the Football Team such a good name is that it is basically Dan Snyder telling everyone to get bent. You won’t let me have the name I want, Redskins, so you will get Football Team and that’s that. The perfect spite name.

But Guardians? That’s just plain dumb, has nothing to do with Cleveland, but not only that, makes no sense in a baseball context. Guardians of what? Nobody is guarding anyone.
Must not be a Clevelander...it has a great meaning to those of us from here...I cross the bridge all the time that has the Guardians of Traffic right outside the ballpark when I go to Ohio City.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:18 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Meh.

Guardians is neutral, so it can go on forever. All the oldest teams have neutrality in their names: Cubs, Cardinals, Phillies, A's, Reds, Pirates, Dodgers, Twins.

The franchise can always be sold and moved to another. city. It's an advantage to have a team name that can be moved without changing it.

Gaurdians is an awful name. Political correctness run amok.

Cleveland has lots of slavic folks running around.

Cossacks....the perfect name.

Better in the NFL.....Vikings vs Cossacks answers the age old question who were the better warriors.

I did live in a community where the high school mascot was the Indians. Less than 20 miles away was a Indian reservation. Even in 1981, I thought they should have renamed the team as the Inchelium White Boys.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:03 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Baseball teams don't change their names regularly. That is false, laughably so. I can't imagine what you're even thinking about that would make you think that statement is true.
Perhaps not in the league you follow but in the MLB baseball teams have changed their names quite a bit... going back over 100 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies