Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2021, 07:43 PM

1,465 posts, read 622,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
the 'Cleveland Guardians'..that even just sounds stupid..PC run amok..
It doesn't sound 'baseball' even a little bit.

Cleveland Baseball Team even sounds better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 08:16 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Right, but you are not promoting a neo-fascist right-wing narrative.
And I don't intend to be part of a neo-fascist right-wing narrative. Maybe I just see life differently. The Cleveland Indians changing their name, I think "why get so upset about that"? I can't understand why. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:18 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
He's tried the sportball ownership thing. IIRC, he wasn't very good at it and brought an entire league down. But at least he got a share of the $3 the USFL got from the NFL in the anti-trust case.
There is that.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:29 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In general, white people are happy being called white people. In the US, anyway. I think it's a term we came up with for ourselves.

Asians, in the US, used to be called "Orientals", in my memory, until they stated they wanted to be called Asians.

Same thing for Black people, although they have changed a couple times what they'd like to be called.

It just would be interesting to hear from them, as a collective, what they'd like to be called.
This is a tricky one ---

Washington Post poll shows Native Americans unbothered by Redskins name

Cleveland's plans to drop 'Indians' from team name is a welcome change but it's long overdue, Native Americans say

‘Native American’ or ‘American Indian’? How to Talk About Indigenous People of America

Native American vs. American Indian: Political correctness dishonors traditional chiefs of old

"One elderly Lakota man from the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation said recently, "If some Indians want to be called Native Americans or Natives, let them be called that, but I was born an Indian and I shall die an Indian.

So if you travel to any Indian reservation out west you will soon discover that nearly all of the indigenous people refer to themselves as "Indian," especially the elders who are still fluent in their Indian language. As Chief Oliver Red Cloud said a few years before he died, "I am Lakota and I am Indian.""

Maybe if we removed labels and just called everyone human beings, we could dispense with all the niceties and get down to the business of just being us? Just a thought ...

Old 07-23-2021, 08:41 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Wait'll they come for you ...
i'm a black american they already come for us.

yall in here crying about a baseball team name.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:49 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Why the Cleveland Guardians?

Was the Cleveland Tire Fire taken?

The Cleveland Drive Bys?

Cleveland Cleft Pallets?

Cleveland Beaver Cleavers?

Old 07-23-2021, 08:53 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Wait'll they come for you ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
i'm a black american they already come for us.

yall in here crying about a baseball team name.
It's a slow season ...

Old 07-23-2021, 08:59 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
I just watched natives at a Rodeo in Wyoming, they all referred to themselves as Indians. Same with some of my relatives in New Mexico, the word Indian isn't a big no no to them either.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:04 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Let's not forget Asian Indians are called Indians too. I'm Indian and in no mood to be called a Guardian. I was quite happy with the Cleveland Indians (until they beat the Astros, that is.)

Old 07-23-2021, 09:29 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northofnowhere View Post
George Carlin once said political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners.

Call it whatever you like. Its just more of the wokeness movement spilling over into everything now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies