Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2021, 01:09 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I was motivated to "get jabbed" by science.
What does that mean?

Does it mean that you personally evaluated the data and formed an independent conclusion? If so, please show your work, because I don't believe you.

Does it mean that you listened to scientists? Which ones? Why those ones? Why not other scientists with differing opinions but equivalent credentials? Is it because they were on TV, and the other scientists weren't?

Does it mean that you just do whatever anybody tells you, as long as they tell you that "science" supports the command?

Or is it more of a belief system for you? Not based on actual knowledge, but a belief that whoever's authority you chose to accept is correct on this issue?

Please, explain EXACTLY what you mean by
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I was motivated to "get jabbed" by science.
because as written, it's extremely vague and suggests that you're more of a "belief system" guy than an "evaluated the data" guy.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:15 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
And after y'all have processed that and answered, give some thought to why those carrots and sticks even exist.

They both are being used to try and appeal to the millions of hold outs, the millions that would rather wait and see then get an injection of a hastily constructed artificial substance that attaches on to our DNA.

This all in the face of flip flopping science and a pandemic that was turned into a political weapon to destroy a sitting President.

We are getting mixed messages from the Biden Admin but that is typical of the floundering "leader" that can't seem to get through a prepared speech, read off a teleprompter without a gaffe.

In another thread here it talks about Trump and how he coerced the DOJ into believing the election was fraudulent. I don't know how Trump could coerce the DOJ without holding something over them? Biden is coercing the public with promises of prizes and allowances, the carrot, if they get the shot but also threats, the stick, if they do not. That is being a coercive bully and we were told he would be the great uniter if elected?

Old 07-30-2021, 01:16 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Can’t believe that CNN is reporting this.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/30/healt...udy/index.html

Quote:
(CNN) Vaccination alone won't stop the rise of new variants and in fact could push the evolution of strains that evade their protection, researchers warned Friday.
Some scientists have been warning that mass vaccination during a pandemic could cause new strains to emerge. They were censored, “debunked”, called quacks, etc. Guess there was merit to what they were saying all along.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:18 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Someone who has reduced symptoms is much more likely to go out into the public and spread the disease then the bed-ridden. Common sense really.
Is it me, or are you advocating against vaccination on the grounds that the unvaccinated have harsher symptoms?

Old 07-30-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
You're so virtuous. I wish I were more like you, but alas, I'm destined to think critically and question authority, and have developed a keen sense for detecting when I'm being bullsh****ed. Unfortunately, I'm simply not able to have as much virtue as you do.
I prefer to think of it as enlightened self-interest. I don't like parking lots with shopping carts all over, so I put my shopping cart back. It has no immediate benefit to me, but...

Carrot/stick is a silly way of seeing it. "Being intubated" is a stick, "not being intubated" is a carrot?

Old 07-30-2021, 01:23 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,332,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
SARS-CoV-2 AND its mutations, such as the new Delta variant, are not just any old "bug". This virus should not be taken lightly. It is serious and extremely contagious and is capable of causing fatal infections. More than 660,000 people have died in the USA from the disease COVID-19 that this novel virus causes. More than 4 million worldwide. Many of them moms and dads. This virus is not done wreaking its havoc.

A pandemic has been caused by this virus. That is why public health measures including vaccines are continually being discussed, encouraged and utilized with documented and factual success. Proven: We are healthier as a nation when we listen to our experts. Demonstrably sicker when we do not.
No, you are incorrect.

At least 95% of Covid-19 deaths in the U.S. in 2020 had underlying conditions. And, the CDC’s death count includes “deaths involving unintentional and intentional injury.” That's why a person who died from a motorcycle accident had his death classified as Covid-19 related. You think that was the only such "Covid-19 death?"

For the non-elderly, the odds of survival are at least 99%.

You are sorely mistaken.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
What does that mean?

Does it mean that you personally evaluated the data and formed an independent conclusion? If so, please show your work, because I don't believe you.

Does it mean that you listened to scientists? Which ones? Why those ones? Why not other scientists with differing opinions but equivalent credentials? Is it because they were on TV, and the other scientists weren't?

Does it mean that you just do whatever anybody tells you, as long as they tell you that "science" supports the command?

Or is it more of a belief system for you? Not based on actual knowledge, but a belief that whoever's authority you chose to accept is correct on this issue?

Please, explain EXACTLY what you mean by

because as written, it's extremely vague and suggests that you're more of a "belief system" guy than an "evaluated the data" guy.
Do you personally evaluate the safety of an aircraft design before boarding? Inspect the captain's credentials? Or do you just trust the authorities?

Old 07-30-2021, 01:24 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,332,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
For the conspiracy types everything is BS.
Slides from nearly 9-hour long FDA presentations which list potential side effects from vaccines are hardly "conspiracy theories."

Here... in case you missed it.

The vaccines are not safe and they are not effective.

Last edited by Sprawling_Homeowner; 07-30-2021 at 01:39 PM..

Old 07-30-2021, 01:32 PM

3,503 posts, read 1,414,327 times
Quote:
An internal memo from the CDC leaked by the NYT today says it make cause more severe disease than previous variants:

https://newsnationusa.com/news/usane...as-chickenpox/

I never had the chicken pox, so it can't be THAT contagious.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:34 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,744,539 times
Quote:
For the conspiracy types everything is BS.
Why would they believe in conspiracies then. Your comment is nonsensical. But go with it if you choose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.