Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2021, 09:19 AM

8,422 posts, read 4,594,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
It is revealing itself as a potential major Pandemic complication. Next step IMO is jab #3 starting soon for the higher risks. Pfizer plans no change with #3. Others may look at editing the mRNA, but that may take longer.

It makes me wonder, will each "edit' (sorry, the software similarities are creepy) require the same "rigorous" testing the original went through? Something makes me think in order to benefit from this "turn on a dime" ability, there will be some loosening of those requirements. Otherwise there is no benefit to the ability to reprogram and re-inject.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:24 AM

9,899 posts, read 7,792,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
We are seeing similar in my rural AZ area with a Delta surge. But so far the vaccinated are not dying. 2 of 678 deaths so far in our vaccinated. The average age of our Delta patients continues to drop, and as the younger tend more healthy, so far they are not dying

By and large the vaccinated tend less severe and less often needing hospitalization. We should know in a few weeks if the above translates into more hospitalizations and/or deaths. So far, so good.
Are you seeing that those hospitalized with Delta have different pre-existing conditions than original covid?

Old 07-30-2021, 09:28 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,358,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
An internal memo from the CDC leaked by the NYT today says it make cause more severe disease than previous variants:

https://newsnationusa.com/news/usane...as-chickenpox/
Skimmed all three - your cite, the NYT article, the original Chinese study. What I was looking for was the location of the viral load. Per the NYT:

Quote:
Infection with the Delta variant produces virus amounts in the airways that are tenfold higher than what is seen in people infected with the Alpha variant, which is also highly contagious, the document noted.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/30/h...gtype=Homepage
The Chinese study compared the Wuhan version (which mutated into what is called 'wild covid' that spread the world) to Delta (at 1000x the viral load). Looks like Delta is 10x the viral load of Alpha (which was the highly contagious B.117).

The Chinese study and other documents largely focus on the higher infectiousness - ability to spread - of these viral particles apparently located in the nasal passages and airways.

How this translates into spread within the individual body doesn't appear clear (to me). Viral load alone of even an un-mutated SARS-CoV-2 (in other words not intrinsically more virile) could translate in some into more severe disease. Like I just mentioned, that was shown for wild covid. Get a higher dose > get sicker.

Still, infectiousness and virility are two separate evolutionally processes, not that that necessarily matters to the person sick in a hospital bed.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:31 AM

8,422 posts, read 4,594,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
This whole forcing people to get vaccinated is getting out of hand. Look, I'm in favor of people getting vaccinated, but the Democrats are taking it too far by literally forcing them to get vaccinated if they want to keep their jobs.

The crazy thing is that these people think we're going to end this pandemic if everyone in the country gets vaccinated. Lets look at the best case scenario where 90% or so of Americans get vaccinated, what about other countries?? Our borders are still open, so even if Americans are vaccinated, this virus is still lingering and mutating outside the US. And it can mutate, evade our vaccines and pour into our country.

So forcing vaccines to Americans is not the answer. We need to get everyone vaccinated GLOBALLY to put this pandemic to end. So we need to work with other countries too; not just force it on Americans.

Umm... I hope you don't mean what that sounds like...

Old 07-30-2021, 09:34 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,339,823 times
There are people in the U.S. all along the political spectrum who have advocated for and taken the vaccine. And reasons vary. Some genuinely thought the vaccine was safe and effective. Some truly believed this vaccine would provide lifelong immunity. Some thought that if enough people took it, all lockdowns would be permanently lifted and life as it was before the pandemic would resume.

"Following the science" has been parroted by Fauci, even as he was eviscerated by Senator Rand Paul. Fauci's arrogance is such that he's said attacks on him are attacks on science.

To those who trust the CDC, the WHO, the FDA, Fauci.... let's suppose that the vaccine injuries pointed out by skeptics as reasons not to take it are factually correct. Do you honesty believe the CDC, the FDA, Fauci, etc. (let's look only within a U.S. context since most here are based in the U.S.) did not know these problems might have arisen at some point in the future?

If they did know, why did they keep it from the general public?

This is a link to a nearly 9-hour long CDC video. It was posted in the fall of 2020 - October 22, to be exact.

At the 2:33:40 mark, a slide flashes for less than one second. Anyone who is not paying attention would miss it.

This is what the slide shows...

AGAIN: the long CDC video I linked above is from October 22, 2020. It's now the end of July 2021. They knew the risks more than 9 months ago but told nobody while insisting the vaccine was/is safe and effective.

Anyone think the CDC, FDA, Fauci, etc., did not know the vaccines might have caused problems?

Old 07-30-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
The CDC needs to stop saying that breakthrough is rare & that they are "unclear" about how common it is.

By April, they KNEW there had been 10,262 breakthrough cases with a 2% mortality rate which is HIGHER than the national mortality rate for covid. And this was when people's vaccines hadn't started waning, like they are now & when the Beta variant, which is less transmissible than Delta is, was predominant:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/...cid=mm7021e3_w
There is nothing surprising about the data, my bold of your text. PHE analyses absolutely show that vaccination in the elderly cannot compensate for having a weaker immune system. Pre-Delta breakthrough cases in the elderly still were more likely to die than the unvaccinated younger population. The advantage was that there now were far fewer deaths had they not been vaccinated at all.

Disclamer: I almost never see CDC statements, and don't immerse myself in the politics. What I care about is the driver of the pandemic, which is the virus. Too, US data, or whatever the CDC looks at, is woefully insufficient which is why so many of the studies cite the UK or Israel. From the beginning of this pandemic, the CDC has been "behind" from what I see.

It's a bureaucracy. Many on here - not you, but speaking in general - seem to have this philosophy that if the CDC can err enough then the virus doesn't really exist.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:55 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,802,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Umm... I hope you don't mean what that sounds like...
I'm hoping that's not what it sounds like either. I have heard that from other sources though: we need to vaccinate the whole world.

That is a chilling thought. I imagine villages in remote areas where they don't even use western medicine...and the vaccine jeep rolls in. It's an arrogant type of pharmaceutical imperialism that bypasses any kind of individual, national, or tribal sovereignty. This default idea that everyone needs mRNA injections is scary.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:56 AM

Last year the best epidemiological modeling turned out to be done by this young computer analyst who wasn't even trained in public health, Youyang Gu. His interpretations of available data in order to numerically weight key variables turned out to be spot on with the CDC, for example, correcting their models to match his.

This is a current tweet:

Quote:
By my estimates, Covid case rates among fully vaccinated individuals are currently ~4-7x lower than those that aren't fully vaccinated. This is based on weekly data out of LA County. Unfortunately, our federal government has no real-time data on this.

So the back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that the vaccine is ~80-85% effective against the Delta variant, which aligns with the latest research. Still very high! And of course, if you're fully vaccinated, hospitalizations and death rates are even lower. https://twitter.com/youyanggu
He links Scott Gottlieb:
Quote:
More than a year into the pandemic and we still don’t have reliable, timely modeling of where things stand coming out of CDC. It simply doesn’t exist. Hopefully heroes like @youyanggu and others get back into game.
https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/...01599561719808

Old 07-30-2021, 10:08 AM

30,268 posts, read 11,890,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Last year the best epidemiological modeling turned out to be done by this young computer analyst who wasn't even trained in public health, Youyang Gu. His interpretations of available data in order to numerically weight key variables turned out to be spot on with the CDC, for example, correcting their models to match his.
I thought the chatter last year was Trump had incompetent people running the pandemic fight and Biden was going to do everything right. That is certainly not the case.

We hand out trillions of dollars but put no effort into data that might help us turn the corner on the pandemic. Really pathetic.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:11 AM

30,268 posts, read 11,890,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I'm hoping that's not what it sounds like either. I have heard that from other sources though: we need to vaccinate the whole world.

That is a chilling thought. I imagine villages in remote areas where they don't even use western medicine...and the vaccine jeep rolls in. It's an arrogant type of pharmaceutical imperialism that bypasses any kind of individual, national, or tribal sovereignty. This default idea that everyone needs mRNA injections is scary.

Or we let it rip through the world and whatever happens, happens. I am vaccinated but if you need boosters several times a year no way I am doing that. I did it. I am starting to regret it with all the data coming out now and Lambda on the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.