Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 01:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What else have we used this mRNA method for in humans?
It has been used in humans in at least 4 infectious diseases - rabies, influenza, cytomegalovirus, and Zika.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/89998
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 01:35 PM

18,114 posts, read 15,690,551 times
mRNA provides an instruction to the targeted cells so the cells can create a protein the immune system can recognize and respond to in order to vanquish the intruder.

CRISPR is the tool that has revolutionized the ability to make the gene-level changes necessary so the programmed code will go where it needs to go.

This is what makes the creation of new vaccines and treatments possible quickly. Tools have been developed that were not previously available, and scientists have access to those tools. Years and years of work are what's allowed science to move faster than ever today. These tools and methodologies have been in development & testing for a long time.

Consider it's been less than 20 years since the whole human genome was finally mapped.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:38 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Who wants to trade their job for a 99% survival rate virus lockdown?
Maybe you'll just get one of the massive strokes or recurrent infective colitis I've seen in COVID patients who "survived". I hope for your sake you have reliable health insurance

Old 12-24-2020, 06:50 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Who wants to trade their job for a 99% survival rate virus lockdown?
Ohh jobs come and go. My life, my health far more valuable.
300,000 lives would have easily traded in their careers to spend another year or ten with loved ones.

Medically speaking it's standard procedure to quarantine when susceptible to a contagion. Which I am 99% sure this covid qualifies as.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:54 PM

37,115 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Yes, they can be due to anxiety. And, if they pass quickly then you know for sure they were due to that.
Hyperventilation is also easily treated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
This is what I'm talking about. So many people are like this now. They cant take a couple minutes to look up things themselves but post as if what theyre saying is fact. I'll give you one link - and next time stop trying to appear as some kind of virus expert. First paragraph from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...l-testing.html
I do not know what you think information for veterinarians has with evolution of SARS-CoV-2.

SARS-CoV-2 did not evolve from one of the four strains of coronaviruses that cause colds in humans.

Quote:
Exactly! Two companies with minimim vaccine experience are rushing one out at record speed, and you completely trust them?
Yes, I do. I see no reason to doubt the results of the clinical trials and no reason to expect serious complications from them down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
The 90% and 95% effective is not quite what it sounds like. For example in the Pfizer trial an 'event' was any mild symptom, even a cough, plus a positive covid19 test. Severe events were not tested because those with severe covid19 are in the hospital.
Yes, diagnosis of COVID-19 required a positive test and symptoms, not just a positive test. If anyone in the trial was hospitalized the company was aware and that "event" was included.

Quote:
Also, the test was concluded after just 94 events. And that was from a fraction of the nearly 39,000 trial participants.
Where does the number 94 come from? Not from Pfizer:

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...sults-landmark

"Among 36,523 participants who had no evidence of existing or prior SARS-CoV-2 infection by the time of the immunizations, there were 170 cases of COVID-19 observed with onset at least 7 days after the second dose; 8 cases occurred in vaccine recipients, and 162 in placebo recipients, corresponding to 95.0% vaccine efficacy (95% credible interval [CI, 90.3, 97.6]). Among participants with and without evidence of prior SARS CoV-2 infection, there were 9 cases of COVID-19 among vaccine recipients and 169 among placebo recipients, corresponding to 94.6% vaccine efficacy (95% CI [89.9, 97.3]).

The cumulative incidence of COVID-19 cases over time among placebo and vaccine recipients began to diverge by 12 days after the first dose, and 52.4% vaccine efficacy (95% confidence interval: 29.5, 68.4) was observed between dose 1 and dose 2, indicating the early onset of a partially protective effect of immunization. Two doses of vaccine provide the maximum protection observed. Ten cases of severe COVID-19 were observed with onset after the first dose. Nine cases occurred among placebo recipients and one among BNT162b2 recipients."

Quote:
That means it's unknown if other events (severe covid symptoms) will be 90% effective. They didn't study for that.
Yes, they did. There were nine cases of severe COVID-19 in the placebo group and one in the vaccine group. The one in the vaccine group happened between the first and second dose.

Quote:
mRNA have never been used as a vaccine against a virus before. Welcome to the experiment.
So? Every vaccine had to be a first at some point.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-1...lovirus%20(CMV).

Quote:
The mRNA type vaccine is a man-made synthetic:

We are getting close to real time genetic manipulation. There is a type of man-made RNA that is self-replicating. The vaccine is not this type, it's a one shot thing. HOWEVER, it's just one step away from this self-replicating type. Which would be basically an artificially created self-replicating virus!

In the covid mRNA vaccine, the mRNA strand soon dissipates and is gone. So it's not self replicating. But they have the tech to make that. One step away.
Since the mRNA in the vaccine is not self replicating what relevance does self replicating RNA have? Answer: none.

Quote:
So basically the mRNA type acts just like the real covid virus- it invades your cell so the cell will make the RNA virus protein the immune cells will see and create a defense. Except the virus protein can not reproduce. Once the immune cells destroy it, it's gone, and the immune cells have a memory for it.
Viral proteins cannot themselves at all.

It is not like what the virus does. The virus uses the cell to make complete copies of itself. The vaccine uses the cell to make copies of muscle cells that display the viral protein. The mRNA from the vaccine is gone very quickly and makes no permanent change in the genetic material of the human cells.

Quote:
Now we hear there is already a new strain of the virus. They don't know 100% for sure if the new covid vaccines will work on any new strains.
There are no new strains, there are new variants that are not different enough to qualify as new strains, though they are being called that. They are more properly termed variants, and there are no variants to date that have spike proteins that will evade the effects of the current vaccines.

Quote:
Any vaccine may cause permanent damage. And if it does, there is no cure.
The risk of any serious adverse reactions to the new coronavirus vaccines that would be worse than COVID-19 is remote.

Quote:
Some of the reactions commonly associated with the flu shot include:

Guillain-Barré Syndrome
Encephalitis
Intussusception
Bell's Palsy
SIRVA - Shoulder Injury
Brachial Neuritis
CIDP - Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy
ADEM - Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis
Transverse Myelitis
Pemphigus
Autoimmune Hepatitis
Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis
Thrombocytopenia
Optic Neuritis - Neuromyelitis Optica
Fainting - Syncope
Kawasaki Disease
Dermatomyositis - JDM
Polymyalgia Rheumatica
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Complex Regional Pain Syndrome - CRPS
Multiple Sclerosis - MS
Henoch-Schlönlein Purpura
Aplastic Anemia

That's just from the flu shot. That's not injecting synthetic RNA into your cells. It uses 'dead' virus to activate your immune cells.
Those are not "reactions commonly associated with the flu shot". Common side effects include things like sore arms, fever, muscle aches, and headaches for a day or two.

Please give the source for your list. It looks like a list of things in a package insert. Those are reported for legal reasons in a section where it is explained that there is no confirmed causation from the vaccine.

Quote:
Now we have a whole new type of 'vaccine' using lab created mRNA strands designed to go into your cells so that your cells make the virus protein. Is there some advantage to this way? Well there is for the manufacturer- they can make it faster and cheaper. And make YOU (your cells) do the work of manufacturing the virus protein! You are the 'vaccine' manufacturer.
Faster and cheaper benefit people using the vaccine, do they not?

There is reason to believe mRNA vaccines will be every bit as safe as traditional vaccines, if not safer, because they have fewer ingredients that get the anti-vaxers so discombobulated.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:35 PM

18,114 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, thankfully. I know I'll be bringing a small paper bag in my purse just in case when it comes time for my vaccination. Anyone who's ever suffered a panic attack should learn how to address hyperventilation if they don't know.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:12 PM

43,142 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It has been used in humans in at least 4 infectious diseases - rabies, influenza, cytomegalovirus, and Zika.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/89998
All phase 1 trials. None have made it to market or approved.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:54 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

I do not know what you think information for veterinarians has with evolution of SARS-CoV-2.

SARS-CoV-2 did not evolve from one of the four strains of coronaviruses that cause colds in humans.
Wow, you yourself called it by this name a few pages back when trying to wrongly correct me. I'm now correcting you with the facts behind what coronaviruses are and where SARS originates.

Old 12-24-2020, 10:11 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
mRNA is very safe because it can be targeted to directly fight the part of the virus that causes infection. It is thus much less likely to carry baggage that other systems bring to those with immune system disfunction. With social media spread among the uneducated we go from that simple statement to crazy videos being shared that this alters our DNA. As if these halfwits even know what RNA is...
Where did you get your medical degree from anyway?

Old 12-24-2020, 10:33 PM

37,115 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Wow, you yourself called it by this name a few pages back when trying to wrongly correct me. I'm now correcting you with the facts behind what coronaviruses are and where SARS originates.
I have no idea what you think you are saying.

SARS-CoV-2 did not evolve from SARS, either.

These are the seven coronaviruses that infect humans:

These four cause the cluster of symptoms called the common cold, rarely more severe symptoms:
  • 229E
  • NL63
  • OC43
  • HKU1

These cause severe disease, each arose separately from animal reservoirs. None evolved from the above four:
  • SARS-CoV, mortality rate about 10%. Mutated to less transmissible form and was eradicated with standard infection control measures. Originated in China in 2003, disappeared 2004.
  • MERS-CoV, fatality rate about 35%. First case in Saudi Arabia in 2014. Still exists, reservoir camels, does not easily spread person to person, only two cases in the US, in 2014.
  • SARS-CoV-2

SARS-CoV-2 could not arise from SARS-CoV because there have been no SARS cases since 2004. It arose in China in late 2019 from an intermediate animal between bats and humans. The intermediate has not been identified.

You initially said that, "Besides coronavirus (aka the common cold) always evolve so are people going to get annual coronavirus shots?"

"Coronavirus" is not "aka the common cold" because not all colds are caused by coronaviruses. Some are caused by adenoviruses and rhinoviruses, for example.

SARS-CoV-2 did not evolve from one of the four coronaviruses that cause colds. That is not where it came from.

The "shots" are not for the four coronaviruses that cause colds. They are specifically for SARS-CoV-2 and it is as yet unknown whether boosters will be necessary and if so, how often.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 12-24-2020 at 10:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies