Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 04:46 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,363,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I know several people who have been vaccinated without issue. For those who think this has come about too quickly, several companies had a "generic" corona vaccine in process well before the pandemic. There were no testing "shortcuts."
At least from what I've heard, there has never been a successful vaccine for a corona virus.

So it doesn't mean that this is going to actually work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 05:19 PM

37,115 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I dont really have the time or energy to correct every misinformed post. I'll just say that I got vaccinated, and every other doctor I know, who hasn't been infected recently, has gotten vaccinated as well.
I expect physician uptake to be high. I know one MD in my community who has an outpatient only practice (with risk of exposure) who applied for hospital privileges so that he could get the vaccine there. He got his shot today.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
At least from what I've heard, there has never been a successful vaccine for a corona virus.

So it doesn't mean that this is going to actually work...
There are veterinary coronavirus vaccines.

Two trials of about 40,000 participants each have showed the two mRNA vaccines do work.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:27 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,863,094 times
Quote:
My condolences to you and the other healthcare staff

I'm not taking my chances on something that was just whipped up in a moment's notice...
This vaccine was created in February and tested on 10s of thousands of people since.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:41 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,805 times
Quote:
I'm not taking my chances on something that was just whipped up in a moment's notice...
Good. More for everyone else that actually wants a vaccine. They'll get it sooner.

Last edited by Variable; 12-23-2020 at 05:49 PM..

Old 12-23-2020, 05:48 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,407,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The media is trying to deter any skepticism for this vaccine and quash any concerns about it. "Don't question us! Eat your vegetables; they're good for you!" There are more people afraid to get the vaccine than they believe. I work in eyecare and come in direct patient contact, and myself and many ophthalmic technicians and opticians in my FB groups are afraid of it, don't want to take it yet, and are trying to avoid it. It has not been tested enough and there have been more allergic reactions to it than with most vaccines. Why? The manufacturers don't know. Why don't they know? Because there hasn't been enough testing. Why not? Because there hasn't been enough time to test it properly.

"Just hold out your arm and trust us," they say. Sorry, can't do that. Injecting smiling celebrities on camera does not change the facts. No one knows for sure that it is safe. No one knows the long term health effects. Science takes time. It can't be rushed no matter how serious the disease. Vaccines normally take years to be released because they are thoroughly tested for safety. If other people want to take it, that's their decision, but enough with the empty reassurances. Not only that, now we have new strains out for which the vaccine will be ineffective. Will we have to take another inadequately tested vaccine, then another? The fact that we have a for-profit healthcare system that stand to gain billions of dollars from this doesn't make me feel any better either. If my boss tells me I must take it very soon, I'll have to make a tough decision. Hopefully I won't have to decide for several months, until after others take it and I see what happens. I will feel comfortable taking it then if it appears safe and effective for others after a while. I have no issue taking vaccinations, including the flu shot, and take them on schedule.
It’s a risk you take. Take vaccine and most likely not have any issues or chance of catching COVID and having the chance of having long term issues that we know for a a fact happen.
Personally I am baffled as to why rapid testing is not more of a priority in the country. We would have defeated this virus already.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:56 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
My daughter got it. Sore arm. Nothing else. Initially some of the staff waited but as others come with reports of minimal side effects they are making their appointments.

I cant wait to get one. I am livid at CDC for recommending that healthy, young grocery workers go ahead of older people and higher risk younger ones. Geez, look in the hospital and see who is in the beds. It isn't 20 somethings.
I see Texas and Florida have changed that. I hope my state does too but our state DHS is a fool and the governor is missing in action.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:18 PM

18,114 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What else have we used this mRNA method for in humans?
Research into drugs that take advantage of mRNA has been going on for almost 2 decades. Details on which classes of drugs and a timeline is included in the article below:

https://www.nature.com/articles/nrd4278

Old 12-23-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
It’s a risk you take. Take vaccine and most likely not have any issues or chance of catching COVID and having the chance of having long term issues that we know for a a fact happen.
Personally I am baffled as to why rapid testing is not more of a priority in the country. We would have defeated this virus already.
The rapid tests are less accurate. You sacrifice sensitivity and specificity for ease of testing and speedy results. A negative rapid test has to be confirmed with PCR.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:26 PM

18,471 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I expect physician uptake to be high. I know one MD in my community who has an outpatient only practice (with risk of exposure) who applied for hospital privileges so that he could get the vaccine there. He got his shot today.
After seeing the things that we saw back in March through June, no doctor is turning down this vaccine at my hospital.

This time, it is not nearly as bad for us, but I see footage of what is going on in hospitals in other cities, like Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, etc, and I know exactly what they are going through. I can completely empathize with them.

And now I know what it feels like seeing it from the other side too. I don't blame people from other areas for thinking it was hyped up. It's not bad in my area this time around, and if we hadn't already gone through it ourselves, I might be wondering to myself about why they are making it out to be as terrible as they are. But I do know, first hand, and I never want to go through that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies