Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 07:43 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
After seeing the things that we saw back in March through June, no doctor is turning down this vaccine at my hospital.

This time, it is not nearly as bad for us, but I see footage of what is going on in hospitals in other cities, like Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, etc, and I know exactly what they are going through. I can completely empathize with them.

And now I know what it feels like seeing it from the other side too. I don't blame people from other areas for thinking it was hyped up. It's not bad in my area this time around, and if we hadn't already gone through it ourselves, I might be wondering to myself about why they are making it out to be as terrible as they are. But I do know, first hand, and I never want to go through that again.
Here's hoping there is high enough vaccine uptake that you do not have to, and thanks for providing a viewpoint based on experience.

Another first hand perspective. The doc who made this is an Ebola survivor. Note it is dated May, thus the ventilator references.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdeHSkDCm58
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 07:44 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,532,723 times
All these posts saying "they got it and were fine" are COMPLETELY missing the point that us skeptics are bringing up. It's not short-term side effects we're largely worried about (though I personally don't discount them, but I hold the same attitude toward ANY medicine). It's what's going to happen 5, 10, 15 years down the road to recipients? You know, the same timeframes that other vaccines get in testing prior to distribution. The newish chickenpox vaccine for instance? Didn't exist when I was growing up, but if I have kids will I be opposed to them getting it? Nope.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:04 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
All these posts saying "they got it and were fine" are COMPLETELY missing the point that us skeptics are bringing up. It's not short-term side effects we're largely worried about (though I personally don't discount them, but I hold the same attitude toward ANY medicine). It's what's going to happen 5, 10, 15 years down the road to recipients? You know, the same timeframes that other vaccines get in testing prior to distribution. The newish chickenpox vaccine for instance? Didn't exist when I was growing up, but if I have kids will I be opposed to them getting it? Nope.
Are you willing to wait 5, 10, 15 years while the coronavirus marches on?

Can you give an example of any vaccine that was found to have adverse effects 5, 10, 15 years down the road that are more dangerous than the disease the vaccine prevents?

Would you wait 15 years before using a new antibiotic if it were to be the only thing likely to cure your infection?

Old 12-23-2020, 08:10 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Well other then the fact that we've used this mRNA method for years now, and its saved lives. But by far the vast majority of medical people I know only have one question-when can they get it.

320K dead...so far. Its been tested on tens of thousands, and worked well. Rushed? sure a little. but that doesn't mean its not the best choice.

What other vaccines and/or medicines have the MRNA in them?

also, by the way, the nurse who gave me my covid test about a month ago, says she is not taking the vaccine either. She doens't trust it.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:21 PM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
What kind of long term effects are you afraid of? mRNA doesn't enter the nucleus of the cell, where the DNA is located, and it degrades in a matter of days. It is very fragile. It makes the proteins for a few days, the body produces antibodies to the proteins, and then the mRNA degrades. So what exactly are these long term effects that you think will happen 5, 10, 15 years down the line?

They have been using mRNA therapy in cancer trials for 10 years, without long term effects.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 12-23-2020 at 08:29 PM..

Old 12-23-2020, 08:36 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
I've been vaccinated and most everyone I work with has also. The only ones I've spoken with who are holding out have an active cancer diagnosis or other acute condition where they need their physician approval first.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:40 PM

18,115 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
They have been using mRNA therapy in cancer trials for 10 years, without long term effects.
I linked directly to a 2014 Nature article (linked below) that talks about mRNA therapies and shows the timeline of how they've been in research & development over a couple decades, but apparently almost no one (or very few) read. I guess it's more fun to pass along misinformation than learn.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nrd4278

Old 12-23-2020, 08:44 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Healthcare workers routinely would turn down the flu vaccine too....until certain states mandated it for you to be able to work or wear a mask all the time while working.

Now you have to wear a mask all day long anyway, even if you take the vaccine.

I don't think it is unusual that a certain percentage of healthcare workers (or anyone) would like to wait a little bit to see how the vaccine is tolerated before stepping up to get the shot.
Exactly!

Every year like clockwork healthcare facilities or institutions start telling nurses and others they must get flu shots, and a good number say "no". Then the battles begin...

Few people know that in USA it is extremely difficult to sue makers of vaccines for any adverse reactions, including death.

https://www.policymed.com/2011/03/su...-lawsuits.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/16/covi...n-lawsuit.html

Medicine is not an exact science, and absent grievous, intentional and or malicious malpractice drug makers are given a pretty wide berth. Unless adverse reactions (again including deaths) rise to levels beyond statically minimal numbers, the greater public good will prevail.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:45 PM

18,115 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
I agree, in spirit. As a physician, I just hope the people who are not taking it, are not taking it for valid reasons, rather than misinformation. Some people shouldn't get the vaccine. Other people may end up giving up their lives due to rumor, conspiracy theory, and other BS.
Question I haven't seen answered yet on any of the vaccine info sites:

Can this vaccine cause a cytokine storm immune system reaction? If yes, any idea what would be the underlying issue that could cause this to occur? That's really my only concern and I haven't heard of any problem except those who are allergic to an ingredient in the vaccine (possibly the glycol agent?).

Old 12-23-2020, 08:55 PM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Question I haven't seen answered yet on any of the vaccine info sites:

Can this vaccine cause a cytokine storm immune system reaction? If yes, any idea what would be the underlying issue that could cause this to occur? That's really my only concern and I haven't heard of any problem except those who are allergic to an ingredient in the vaccine (possibly the glycol agent?).
Can it cause cytokine storm? Well, it does cause an inflammatory response. It is supposed to. It wouldn't work without it. But the same could be said for every vaccine. And anything that causes an inflammatory response has the potential to cause cytokine storm, given the right circumstances. Our bodies are subjected to inflammatory responses all the time, and the vast majority do not lead to cytokine storm.

That said, that hasn't been an issue with the vaccine. It is a MAJOR issue with people who have contracted the COVID-19 virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies