Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2020, 06:04 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,199,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Trump's fault
Bidens fault ...see I can be silly too this virus is a different strain viruses continue to change over time. Chinas fault 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 06:05 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,281,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
Only if you mean survival until you die. Do you know what a Case Fatality Rate is? What population subset are you basing your number on? I s survival with long haul consequences nothing to be concerned about?
I’m basing it on the CDC website. I hate to break it to you, but everyone dies eventually. The mortality rate is very low for this. Hide if you want. I won’t.

I was out getting lunch today. Dining in and outside is restricted where I am. As I’m waiting for take out, I notice that the mall had many tables in an outside common area. So the people would get their food or Starbucks, sit down and enjoy their food or drinks. They’re eating outside just a few feet from the restaurants. Meanwhile, there are crowds shopping. At least where I am, people are done and ignoring any lockdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
What do you mean, what happened? Influenza is also going around. The figures are much lower than usual, as you'd expect being that the Covid precautions are as effective or even moreso when it comes to flu transmission. More people got flu shots this year than typical, too. Schools are one of the big drivers of flu transmission and many of them are currently some degree of virtual.

On a purely anecdotal note, I haven't been sick since March, and usually I'm a magnet for respiratory infections.
The CDC website shows minimal flu cases nationwide. If all the COVID measures slapped the flu down so hard, why are we allegedly surging with COVID? Is the flu virus bigger or slower so masks catch it while COVID gets through? Did COVID tell the flu to take the year off because they’ve been active this year?

Old 12-19-2020, 06:07 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I’m basing it on the CDC website. I hate to break it to you, but everyone dies eventually. The mortality rate is very low for this. Hide if you want. I won’t.

The CDC website shows minimal flu cases nationwide. If all the COVID measures slapped the flu down so hard, why are we allegedly surging with COVID? Is the flu virus bigger or slower so masks catch it while COVID gets through? Did COVID tell the flu to take the year off because they’ve been active this year?

Because a huge percentage of the population has partial immunity from an array of different influenza strains. Someone could cough it right in my face, but I will probably not be sick due to having the flu a few times, and the flu shot multiple times.

That is not the case with covid19.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-19-2020, 06:10 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Let us remember: the Trumpets that infest this forum are not representative of rational people. They are drinking the Kool Aid, and paying out money to their Lord Trump.

Yet, rational people realize that the hospitals are truly running out of ICU beds, and out of health care professionals. Sure, you can set up beds in a parking lot adjacent to the hospital, but you need workers to care for those patients.

We are living through a major pandemic. I had hoped to live out my life (I'm 65 with Type One diabetes) without doing so, although I did live through several before, including polio. But I face life as it happens, instead of yapping that nothing is wrong.

Pandemics are dangerous not only for the health of people, but for those not infected. Here in Fort Worth, ICU beds are becoming very limited for non-Covid patients. Some areas are literally out of any beds, so the doctors, already under stress, must make 'death panel like' decisions (remember when Death Panels was the thing with Conservatives?). Yet, citizens are still having heart attacks, strokes and having car accidents. But if there are no beds?

Stupid people are always around. We had them during the Spanish Flu of 1918, which started in Kansas. Back then you had 'anti mask' leagues, and other nonsense. Most of them woke up when the flu began to kill thousands per day.

Wait: we now are averaging 3000 per day.

We are surrounded by idiots, claiming that Mr. Trump won an election he lost, yet also claiming that the pandemic is harmless.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:12 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,281,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Let us remember: the Trumpets that infest this forum are not representative of rational people. They are drinking the Kool Aid, and paying out money to their Lord Trump.

Yet, rational people realize that the hospitals are truly running out of ICU beds, and out of health care professionals. Sure, you can set up beds in a parking lot adjacent to the hospital, but you need workers to care for those patients.

We are living through a major pandemic. I had hoped to live out my life (I'm 65 with Type One diabetes) without doing so, although I did live through several before, including polio. But I face life as it happens, instead of yapping that nothing is wrong.

Pandemics are dangerous not only for the health of people, but for those not infected. Here in Fort Worth, ICU beds are becoming very limited for non-Covid patients. Some areas are literally out of any beds, so the doctors, already under stress, must make 'death panel like' decisions (remember when Death Panels was the thing with Conservatives?). Yet, citizens are still having heart attacks, strokes and having car accidents. But if there are no beds?

Stupid people are always around. We had them during the Spanish Flu of 1918, which started in Kansas. Back then you had 'anti mask' leagues, and other nonsense. Most of them woke up when the flu began to kill thousands per day.

We are surrounded by idiots, claiming that Mr. Trump won an election he lost, yet also claiming that the pandemic is harmless.
Hate to break it to you, but I’m an independent that can’t stand Trump. I don’t think this is a hoax, but it’s way overblown.

People are starting to ignore the restrictions. That’s a fact.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:17 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:

Yep, actual death panel activities ARE taking place, it is called triage. How people can still think it is overblown, I really don't know. Those ICU beds are needed for other things besides covid, but no ICU beds, is no ICU beds. So whether you have Covid, or got shot by someone in a mugging, there is not the help you would need or expect.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-19-2020, 06:22 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Covid's fatality rate if you're between the age of 65-69 is 1.075%.

But you're over the age of 65 you have a 1.58% chance of dying in the next year. Overall.
It’s amazing it’s that low when you look around and see the unhealthy, fat, under-exercised, slobs that the majority of Americans are...

Old 12-19-2020, 06:23 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Because there are not the number of asymptomatic people spreading flu as there are those with the coronavirus.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:23 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
Quote:
1. People have more resistance to the common strains of the flu, as many have already had it.
2. Many people are vaccinated against the flu, which not only makes them less likely to get it individually, but reduces transmission rates. Flu vaccination rates are up this year.
3. The incubation period for the flu is much shorter than for Covid, meaning people with the flu are less likely to unknowingly transmit the disease, especially now that anyone who seems ill is expected to quarantine.
4. Covid lasts longer outside the body than flu does.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:25 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,744,539 times
Quote:

Wow. For someone as old as you, that's a pretty high horse you're on there. I thought wisdom came with age. Just as many people on the other side consider leftist "infestation" to be a glaringly low-information group. Not everyone here who doesn't agree with the left is a "Trumpet," nor are they "paying out money to their lord Trump." I dare say most of them are more informed than you seem to be. Most people are not denying that the virus exists, but the numbers are being manipulated. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies