Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2020, 10:25 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,649,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
When was America great? When did it stop being great?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
When people stopped thinking rules applied to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There have been people throughout American history who believed that rules didn't apply to this. It's nothing new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
They came here to escape the King's rule --- had they thought those rule applied and they should continue, there would not be an America as we know it today, to complain about.
Quote:
All very true. The thing about rules, there are those which suppress individual rights such as your example of the King's rule. There too are rules for the betterment of the people, with protections and provisions for individual rights. Rules that touch practically every aspect of our lives. Would anyone want to live in a society with no rules? (we've had a taste of that)
Quote:
When in the history of mankind has there never been a ruler and/or rules?
Quote:
That is not my contention. The point is, there is seemingly (to me anyway) a substantial increase in the numbers who think and act as though rules don't apply to them. Maybe 'lawlessness' would be another descriptor. That does not bring about unity in a society or country which is why I answered the original question as I did. When in the history of mankind has a country divided against itself had a positive outcome?
The civil war? 1960s? The polls showed a split of almost 50 - 50 for and against the Vietnam War. Not to mention the huge multi-culture shift --- women's right, black rights, war, what else, gay rights --- that was a massive 10 year span of protests --- the great American revolution that never happened, cause the government armed too --- squashed it.

Ever heard of Guerilla Theater --- "I can't travel without a pass-port" --- sorry, I watched one being performed. Basically pointing out the government's tyranny --- it was part of the counter-culture.

I guess you could say on a positive note --- we're still here. However, any kind of real rebellion --- not happening. The government got the positive outcome on that, when they brought the guns to the party. And the people woke up one morning in 1970 to seeing dead college students on their t.v.

So, you think we have any real rule breakers today --- ? We haven't got squat. Just a few squawkers --- that's it. No real division, just people kicking the dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 10:55 PM

1,946 posts, read 573,519 times
Quote:
So, you think we have any real rule breakers today --- ? We haven't got squat. Just a few squawkers --- that's it. No real division, just people kicking the dirt.
I'm not that optimistic. I hope you're right, we'll see.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:02 PM

14,342 posts, read 4,690,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
LOL... Sorry, I’m a centrist and registered Independent. Don’t wear either party’s “hat.” I vote for the person I think will do the best job and safeguard our country and the Constitution, no matter which party. I have voted for candidates of both many times. No interest in the far reaches of either party. Of course that is a lot harder than it used to be. Maybe it’s not completely fair, but I do blame the far Right and the current President for a big part of the current divisiveness and virulent hatred out there.

In fact, I think the whole MAGA thing, including the hats, has caused a lot of the problems between people.
Maybe your brain is not working properly or you are just slow.

let me say it again, ok? You claimed the right wingers are hateful, so I am challenging you to wear a MAGA hat to a left wing protest to test your theory if the left wingers are nice people.

Comprende now?

Old 12-27-2020, 11:13 PM

3,669 posts, read 2,779,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post

let me say it again, ok? You claimed the right wingers are hateful, so I am challenging you to wear a MAGA hat to a left wing protest to test your theory if the left wingers are nice people.

Comprende now?
I have to chime in here. Wearing a MAGA hat to a left wing rally OR wearing a BIDEN hat to a right wing rally, is just asking for trouble. It’s a dick thing to do. You would obviously be passively asking for trouble.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:14 PM

10,796 posts, read 3,631,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post

Comprende now?
MAGA hat wearers seem to have much in common with extremists on the right; extreme fundamentalist Christians, extreme racists like the Proud Boys, extreme militias, extreme misogynists and other misfits of society.

Proof? See pro Trump rally in D.C.

Pretty difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff, isn't it, with those MAGA hat wearers.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:14 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,751,203 times
Quote:
That is not my contention. The point is, there is seemingly (to me anyway) a substantial increase in the numbers who think and act as though rules don't apply to them. Maybe 'lawlessness' would be another descriptor. That does not bring about unity in a society or country which is why I answered the original question as I did. When in the history of mankind has a country divided against itself had a positive outcome?
Well...what happened to all the 'Tories' that were living in the 13 colonies during the American Revolution...when it ended and America gained her independence....do you think these Tories sulked around, still believing they should obey the King of England?

Of course not, its likely they stopped being Tories at that point and celebrated the birth of a new nation!

Old 12-27-2020, 11:32 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,649,822 times
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not that optimistic. I hope you're right, we'll see.
Social media will amplify, but in reality see my post here
https://www.city-data.com/forum/59990980-post81.html

And if you need to put anything into context of divisions in America

The Day The '60s Died

We're still here --- that is a history that will not be repeated. Businesses shut down, because the government told them to and people went without work --- everyone complicit and agree that was the way to go. Any rebellion, that would have sparked it.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:00 AM

865 posts, read 322,359 times
How many of you actually get out of the house? I own a bar with a VERY diverse clientele and I don't see hate from any of them. Plenty of disagreement but zero hate. Actual fights usually happen because of ill advised hookups or attempted hookups. The 80 year old ardent Trump supporter, the Bernie Bros, the proud boys and the SJW types all get along fine despite their differences. Just saying most people are not hateful and are more concerned with their personal lives.

Stop believing all the divisive crap and life suddenly looks much, much better.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:05 AM

3,669 posts, read 2,779,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstate0fmind View Post
How many of you actually get out of the house? I own a bar with a VERY diverse clientele and I don't see hate from any of them. Plenty of disagreement but zero hate. Actual fights usually happen because of ill advised hookups or attempted hookups. The 80 year old ardent Trump supporter, the Bernie Bros, the proud boys and the SJW types all get along fine despite their differences. Just saying most people are not hateful and are more concerned with their personal lives.

Stop believing all the divisive crap and life suddenly looks much, much better.
Would you please ask the Proud Boys that hang out at your bar if it’s true that they cannot masturbate as part of their charter?

Seems weird. Lol. Thanks!

Old 12-28-2020, 12:20 AM

33,637 posts, read 12,825,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I have to chime in here. Wearing a MAGA hat to a left wing rally OR wearing a BIDEN hat to a right wing rally, is just asking for trouble. It’s a dick thing to do. You would obviously be passively asking for trouble.
Only asking for trouble because too many adults in the U.S. have the maturity level of a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies