Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2020, 11:51 AM

33,411 posts, read 12,714,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I am critical of wrongs, no matter what country I am in. The USA has a large cohort of citizens who have no desire to change things like accepting healthcare is a right, not a privilege, unlike most other civilized countries, like Mexico, Germany and Canada. And dozens of others. Often that same cohort expresses strong anti-abortion views, unfettered gun use, and the dominant religion should prevail in government and society. I can't support that, nor can I support the prevalence of the USA interfering militarily in other countries, sometimes on the weakest of excuses. Really, Grenada? Was that really necessary???
If those things really bothered you that much, then you’d never set foot in the U.S. again nor spend another dollar here until after those changes occurred.

Poster Old Glory likes to complain about liberal policies and California. But the policies don’t bother him enough to leave. He’s retired and says he has a good income. He doesn’t have to stay in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 11:56 AM

14,296 posts, read 4,653,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
If those things really bothered you that much, then you’d never set foot in the U.S. again nor spend another dollar here until after those changes occurred.

Poster Old Glory likes to complain about liberal policies and California. But the policies don’t bother him enough to leave. He’s retired and says he has a good income. He doesn’t have to stay in California.
I am a born & raised Californian and I also have problems with liberal policies in California, but California is HOME. All my family is in CA.

Maybe California is also home for poster OldGlory, that’s why he can’t leave.

United States is not home to normstad. His home is Canada.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:59 AM

73,129 posts, read 62,969,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I agree. I’d love to see Facebook and Twitter gotten rid of.

Forums like this one can also be divisive, but at least our posts aren’t “shared” where they spread like wildfire.
I don't want either getting deleted. I use both of them. While stuff like this doesn't get shared, it reminds of how hateful the world still is. Getting rid of social media won't get rid of the hate.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:12 PM

10,798 posts, read 3,623,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Next time you should voice your negative view of US to a CBP officer when are seeking admission to enter the US at POE.
They don't ask those kind of questions. I thought you knew that?

Old 12-28-2020, 12:24 PM

33,411 posts, read 12,714,190 times
Quote:
I am a born & raised Californian and I also have problems with liberal policies in California, but California is HOME. All my family is in CA.

Not can’t, won’t. Saying it’s ‘because of family’ is just another way of saying that the principle one is claiming to stand on doesn’t mean enough.

I’m a fifth generation California native. My family came from New England in the mid 1840s....before the Gold Rush. I left to pursue a personal relationship that didn’t work out, but I don’t regret that. I’ ii never move back (and I can afford to). Why? I dislike the way my state income taxes, property taxes, etc. were (would be are if I still lived there) spent enough to say that I refuse to do it again.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
They don't ask those kind of questions. I thought you knew that?
What question? Be specific.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Not can’t, won’t. Saying it’s ‘because of family’ is just another way of saying that the principle one is claiming to stand on doesn’t mean enough.

I’m a fifth generation California native. My family came from New England in the mid 1840s....before the Gold Rush. I left to pursue a personal relationship that didn’t work out, but I don’t regret that. I’ ii never move back (and I can afford to). Why? I dislike the way my state income taxes, property taxes, etc. were (would be are if I still lived there) spent enough to say that I refuse to do it again.
Asking Californian to leave California because he doesn’t like California’s liberal policy, is like asking an American to leave U.S. because he doesn’t like Trumps policy (or whatever current administration is in power)

Old 12-28-2020, 12:49 PM

7,521 posts, read 4,396,676 times
Quote:

I was born and raised in New York, all of my family is still back there. I'm just so glad to have gotten the hell outta' there. Knowing what I know now, my only regret is not getting out of there sooner. However I've always wanted to live in the Great American Southwest, Arizona in particular.

It's not easy leaving all of your family, long time friends and places that you're familiar with to move some 2,474 miles away. Then plop yourself down in some place where you know absolutely no one. You really are starting over, almost like being born again.

Liberal policies and politicians were the straw that broke the camels back for me. I both despise and loath them. I've had enough, so much so that it was worth risking the fear of the unknown. They were squeezing the economic life out of us. It was not living, it was existing. 10 years ago we were paying $12,000 a year in property taxes on an 1,100 sq. ft. 3bdr 1bth home in a semi run down small city along the Hudson. For my wife and I the move was well worth the risk. There's no place in the world where we'd rather be than here in Arizona. Our quality of life has improved tremendously, it's been a liberating experience having that burden lifted of of our shoulders. We were surprised at how easy it was to meet new people and make new friends. After 10 years it's almost as if we were born and raised here.

I'm proud of our adopted state and proud to call it HOME.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 12-28-2020 at 01:04 PM..

Old 12-28-2020, 12:55 PM

62 posts, read 78,711 times
Divide and conquer.

As long as the puppet masters fan the flames on both sides and we stay at each other's throats, they win.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:57 PM

8,840 posts, read 3,986,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Why is there so much hate in the USA? What is causing it?
Same as always i.e. the inability of (some) people to accept that which is different from themselves particularly relative to religion/atheism, culture, socioeconomic status and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies