Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2020, 01:05 PM

27,668 posts, read 28,766,428 times

Advertisements

The main thing that holds Americans together is the generally high level of economic wealth and prosperity.

Other than that, I'm afraid there isn't that much shared common ground left in this nation. There is a lot of political and cultural division and it is increasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 01:12 PM

273 posts, read 201,929 times
You have people on the left telling you how to live your life.
You have people on the right who like to troll and do ridiculous stuff to "own the libs".

It's easier to blame others than to blame yourself.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:13 PM

273 posts, read 201,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The main thing that holds Americans together is the generally high level of economic wealth and prosperity.
Which is vanishing. Good soil and the ability to grow lots of food on it is the only thing separating us from becoming Brazil.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:15 PM

8,741 posts, read 3,914,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Other than that, I'm afraid there isn't that much shared common ground left in this nation.
Point being, there need not be common ground in order to have an absence of hate.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:17 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,370,985 times
All I care about is for the United States of America to remain a Constitutional Republic of which it was originally founded. Those on the Left wish to destroy it and turn the country into an unbridled Democracy of which they have absolute power and control over every aspect of our lives. They believe in a living breathing Constitution that can be legislated from the bench by activist justices that twist the words around to mean something that it was never intended to mean.

There's no way in hell that I'd be willing to hold hands and sing Kumbaya with those types of people.

Quote:
Constitutional Republic:

A Constitutional Republic is a form of government where the head of state and other officials are elected as representatives of the people, representatives mandated to govern according to existing constitutional law. It is because of this mandate that the elected class in a Constitutional Republic is limited in their power over the citizenry. The United States of America was created as and intended to survive as a Constitutional Republic.

Our Constitutional Republic is separated into three separate but equal branches of government; the Executive, Legislative and Judicial, represented by the Presidency, Congress and the Courts. Because of this no branch has a rein on absolute power thus assuring that there will be checks and balances to the governmental system and protection for the rule of law.

Through the elected representation employed by our Constitutional Republic the influence of the majority is tempered by protections for individual rights as mandated by constitutional law. Our form of government is deliberate in its attempt to thwart majoritarianism, thereby protecting political dissent and individuals and minority groups from the "tyranny of the majority" by placing checks on the power of the majority of the population. The power of the majority of the people is checked by limiting that power to electing representatives who are required to legislate with limits of overarching constitutional law which a simple majority cannot modify.

"A pure unbridled democracy is a political system in which the majority enjoys absolute power by means of democratic elections. In an unvarnished democracy, unrestrained by a constitution, the majority can vote to impose tyranny on themselves and the minority opposition. They can vote to elect those who will infringe upon our inalienable God-given rights. Thomas Jefferson referred to this as elected despotism in Notes on the State of Virginia (also cited in Federalist 48 by Madison):"

Old 12-28-2020, 01:20 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,523,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Point being, there need not be common ground in order to have an absence of hate.
I think this is a very important truth to note.

Americans are becoming increasingly intolerant overall of anybody who thinks differently. Somehow we’ve got to shed ourselves of these narcissistic traits. We have NEVER agreed on everything. The only difference today is our REACTION to disagreement. We’ve become quite uncivil and rude to one another. It’s our attitudes that need change ... not our nation.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:27 PM

8,741 posts, read 3,914,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I think this is a very important truth to note.

Americans are becoming increasingly intolerant overall of anybody who thinks differently. Somehow we’ve got to shed ourselves of these narcissistic traits. We have NEVER agreed on everything. The only difference today is our REACTION to disagreement. We’ve become quite uncivil and rude to one another. It’s our attitudes that need change ... not our nation.
True - but being rude and/or frustrated (or disagreement) is not the same as hatred. That said, I agree there are people who can't discuss differences in any issue (particularly relative to religion, atheism and politics in this forum, lol) without spewing hatred for various groups or (certain) people, as a whole. Another (excellent) example are those who 'hate' an entire state or city i.e. California/SF or the homeless.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 12-28-2020 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-28-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
True - but being rude and/or frustrated (or disagreement) is not the same as hatred. That said, I agree there are people who can't discuss differences in any issue (particularly relative to religion, atheism and politics in this forum, lol) without spewing hatred for various groups (or certain) people, as a whole. Another (excellent) example are those who 'hate' an entire state or city i.e. California/SF or the homeless.
I really don’t agree with others here about the level of hatred in the US. I think some people quite simply have had crappier lives than others, and this plays heavily into their thinking and attitude about life. I guess I’ve had a pretty good life, because I love my fellow Americans. They are friendly, giving, and earnest people overall. I don’t feel ANY sense of hate among American people interacting out in the real world. I only see it offered by the media, and obsessed about on the internet.

I’ve had the great fortune of a lot of international travel and this plays heavily into my thinking. Not too many Americans travel through places like South America and Asia then come home and complain about life in America. I believe much of the “America sucks” side has actually spent very little if any time outside of the States. There are many exceptions to that idea I’m sure, but overall I believe I’m correct.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:39 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,717,229 times
Lots of good valid comments.

My two cents.....

I've been thinking for some years now, social media will be our undoing as a society/country. As some have pointed out, it ranges from obsessing about trivial non sensical items...to being an echo chamber for the users point of view...which of course is the only right way to look at things.

24/7 news. Used to be if there was a news worthy event, you heard about it once or twice a day. Maybe on the evening news, and in the news paper the next day. Now you hear about the same story 64 times a day if you're glued to your iphone or your computer. It's almost like it happens again every time you hear about it...gloom and doom. Every time you hear about it....it happens again...in your mind anyway. If you're plugged in, you're basically on high alert all day, every day. That doesn't bode well for you, those around you, your state or your country. Down time is when you really have time to process the events of the day....good and bad, when you can evaluate things, plot a logical path forward etc... Many don't have that anymore, and that doesn't serve them well.

The other issue...lack of critical thinking skills. If you can't put forward a logical well thought out argument for your point of view.....it's simple, you just need to ramp up the volume to a level where you whip people into a frenzy of hate against any other point of view.

The smartest people in the room are rarely the loudest.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Lots of good valid comments.

My two cents.....

I've been thinking for some years now, social media will be our undoing as a society/country. As some have pointed out, it ranges from obsessing about trivial non sensical items...to being an echo chamber for the users point of view...which of course is the only right way to look at things.

24/7 news. Used to be if there was a news worthy event, you heard about it once or twice a day. Maybe on the evening news, and in the news paper the next day. Now you hear about the same story 64 times a day if you're glued to your iphone or your computer. It's almost like it happens again every time you hear about it...gloom and doom. Every time you hear about it....it happens again...in your mind anyway. If you're plugged in, you're basically on high alert all day, every day. That doesn't bode well for you, those around you, your state or your country. Down time is when you really have time to process the events of the day....good and bad, when you can evaluate things, plot a logical path forward etc... Many don't have that anymore, and that doesn't serve them well.

The other issue...lack of critical thinking skills. If you can't put forward a logical well thought out argument for your point of view.....it's simple, you just need to ramp up the volume to a level where you whip people into a frenzy of hate against any other point of view.

The smartest people in the room are rarely the loudest.
What a fantastic post. Kudos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies