Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 04:36 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I guess you do not eat meat..........
where I live, meat is right back where it was. Paid $6.99/lb for a bone-in Prime Rib roast at Christmas. Yes, it got very expensive in April/May though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 04:42 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Only the left complains about the national debt and then complains about not getting free money. Can't make this sh*t up folks.
I’m not a lefty, but I’ll complain about it for as long as our government keeps me from working in my regular profession. They don’t want to give me a welfare handout, then they need to stop with the restrictions on gatherings and let me work.

And for those on either side of the political aisle who think these restrictions are ok because ‘we have to stop the virus’, then they don’t get to complain about the welfare handout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
Bravo!! Your words are mine.

Stop buying stuff you can't afford and living beyond your means. Put some money in savings for a rainy day, e.g., Covid. If you can afford Starbucks, devices, cable TV and other luxuries, you shouldn't be asking the taxpayers to finance your life. Stop looking to and demanding that taxpayers finance your lifestyle.

I had savings. I’ve been out of my regular work since mid-March, so the cash savings are pretty much gone. Anything coming out of my pocket to make up the difference between unemployment and the low-paying part-time job I’ve been able to find is now coming from retirement savings. Is the government going to up my social security, since they won’t let me work in the job I’m most qualified for?

Again, I’ve taken what work I can find, but it’s no substitute for meeting my needs. Should I lose my home and have to live in a dump because we’re scared of a virus? Should I stop eating? What amount of personal sacrifice would you deem acceptable?

Last edited by swilliamsny; 12-29-2020 at 05:05 PM..

Old 12-29-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
I don't want $600.
I don't want $2,000.
I want businesses open. I want people working. I want society back. ·
Instead of stimulus I say the government stops shutting down or regulating business attendance. Are we really all so afraid of something with a less then >1% population mortality rate that we give up capitalism and look to the government to suckle from?
Let businesses reopen. Let the people decide who they want to patron. Allow the people that want some level of independence from the government earn their way. These will pay taxes, buy goods, pay their bills and this will be overall uplift to the economy. An uplift that has longer-term benefits than handouts.
If stimulus money is needed, it should be put it into the businesses that have been harmed by the government's actions so they can get back on their feet. Restaurants, movie theaters, local stores and shops, the list is quite long. These businesses need the help and this I happily support.
There will always be those that chose to live on handouts. Perpetuate the social ills under the gluttony umbrella. Just outright be lazy. So many feel justified to take money they didn't earn. And the irony of it all is these people will hug me and tell me they love and appreciate me, all the while doing nothing but live off of the hard work of people like me. It is what it is. The strong will carry the weak. I chose strength.
I empathize with people that are struggling. Their lives have been turned upside-down due to government overreach. I keep hearing something is better than nothing. Can that be true when there is no solution? Isn't it the same repeat of insanity?
I want to earn my way. I want to look at the person the mirror each morning and be proud of who I see. I do not want to coattail ride, panhandle or rely on the government to keep a roof over my head. I will take advantage of all opportunities to care for me, my kids and those that rely on me.
People need to work. If you chose to live off of a government check instead of work, our values are not in line.
You are welcome for my work ethic.
and then you realize the corporate retailers - be they Target, WalMart, McDonalds or Home Depot; that liberals hate so much - stayed open and benefitted while small business retailers were screwed.

And what did Amazon's sales & profits do because of the pandemic?
https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/29/a...nings-q3-2020/

Old 12-29-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, what a bunch of lying liars in here....”I don’t want that check. I don’t need it. I won’t cash it”.
the last one went to the Salvation Army and the Food Bank.

Now, it wasn't anywhere close to the full family of 4 top. But it went straight to charity.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:49 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,552,399 times
What is disgusting is all the money we give to other countries. they give more to other countries than Americans will get in the 600 dollar stimulus and the 2000 dollar one if it passes.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:51 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
They passed it, and you better damn well believe me.....

No link, and you want me to believe you?
Are you truly this misinformed AND lazy? Unable to even use google. Man you must have it rough. Here let me help you.

March 15th:
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hous...ry?id=70681205

That one sat on the GOP senate leaders desk, and is still sitting there. Then the house passed the new one that Republicans demanded...and even then it looks like the president isnt on board. Despite his representative negotiating much of it.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:52 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
I dont need the $2000 bucks but I'll take it. I'll invest it and make money on it like I did the $1200. That said there are folks who need the help. We should be helping them.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:59 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made
Bravo!! Your words are mine.

Stop buying stuff you can't afford and living beyond your means. Put some money in savings for a rainy day, e.g., Covid. If you can afford Starbucks, devices, cable TV and other luxuries, you shouldn't be asking the taxpayers to finance your life. Stop looking to and demanding that taxpayers finance your lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post

I had savings. I’ve been out of my regular work since mid-March, so the cash savings are pretty much gone. Anything coming out of my pocket to make up the difference between unemployment and the low-paying part-time job I’ve been able to find is now coming from retirement savings. Is the government going to up my social security, since they won’t let me work in the job I’m most qualified for?

Again, I’ve taken what work I can find, but it’s no substitute for meeting my needs. Should I lose my home and have to live in a dump because we’re scared of a virus? Should I stop eating? What amount of personal sacrifice would you deem acceptable?

Stop breathing.
You can't afford the air you breath.
It's one of those things you waste unnecessary.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:01 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
[quote=swilliamsny;60016336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Only the left complains about the national debt and then complains about not getting free money. Can't make this sh*t up folks.[/QUOTE
I’m not a lefty, but if lol complain about it for as long as our government keeps me from working in my regular profession. They don’t want to give me a welfare handout, then they need to stop with the restrictions on gatherings and let me work.

And for those on either side of the political aisle who think these restrictions are ok because ‘we have to stop the virus’, then they don’t get to complain about the welfare handout.

According to Republicans - the answer to your questions is YES.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:06 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
So then Rockefeller, what was your share?

It was designed to be a massive tax cut for the wealthiest Americans and Corporations ... including foreign corporations (who are taking that largesse right out of our country). The token cuts for the rest of us were a cover for this scam.

You do realize that the cut you got was temporary, don't you? It automatically expires some time next year. Odd that only yours and mine expire automatically, isn't it?

Your protest is like putting lipstick on a pig.
~

Fundamentally Flawed 2017 Tax Law Largely Leaves Low- and Moderate-Income Americans Behind

Attachment 226171

Attachment 226172
It seems like only thing that matters to politicians on both sides is the welfare of their precious corporations.
Not the citizens of this country, not even this country is important.
Many of these corporations are global enjoying the defense of our global military.
The military defense and welfare should be cut to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies