Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 07:35 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,237,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Laugh all you want but most Americans don't make Mac & Cheese from scratch (I can though) and that "powdered cheese stuff" is only edible if you're under 10 years old since they don't know the difference.
Every been to a supermarket Deli? There is always a line for prepared food.
Are you expecting most Americans to adjust their taste buds during a pandemic?
Food has become one of the few things most people can control in their lives so far for the past year.
So people are not expected to adjust their eating habits when their income drops significantly?

Who are you to tell someone that a food product that's passed whatever regulations needed to be sold is "inedible"?

Is it not true that in the time it takes to prepare any packaged mac n cheese on the stove that you can do the same from "scratch"?

And of course I've been to a supermarket deli. Sometimes I've had to wait - gasp! - 10 minutes!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
How is it that a bill passed in the House of Representatives, oxymoron here, cannot get a vote in the Senate because the Majority Leader won't bring it up for consideration. It should be a requirement that all legislation from the House has to get an up or down vote. You don't have to approve it but you must vote on it. The Senate is the most undemocratic body in the Congress !
this, I would agree with you. Any bill that passes either Chamber should get consideration in the other. For example, going off my experience, they could be like HOA rules - if you don't get an answer within ~60 days, then it's considered to have been approved.

It would be of actual value to see just how the "Parliamentary" rules of the Senate and House were passed.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I’m not a lefty, but I’ll complain about it for as long as our government keeps me from working in my regular profession. They don’t want to give me a welfare handout, then they need to stop with the restrictions on gatherings and let me work.

And for those on either side of the political aisle who think these restrictions are ok because ‘we have to stop the virus’, then they don’t get to complain about the welfare handout.

I had savings. I’ve been out of my regular work since mid-March, so the cash savings are pretty much gone. Anything coming out of my pocket to make up the difference between unemployment and the low-paying part-time job I’ve been able to find is now coming from retirement savings. Is the government going to up my social security, since they won’t let me work in the job I’m most qualified for?

Again, I’ve taken what work I can find, but it’s no substitute for meeting my needs. Should I lose my home and have to live in a dump because we’re scared of a virus? Should I stop eating? What amount of personal sacrifice would you deem acceptable?
well said!

Old 12-29-2020, 07:50 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,023,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
where I live, meat is right back where it was. Paid $6.99/lb for a bone-in Prime Rib roast at Christmas. Yes, it got very expensive in April/May though.
it was $11.99 here.........

Old 12-29-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Are you truly this misinformed AND lazy? Unable to even use google. Man you must have it rough. Here let me help you.

March 15th:
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hous...ry?id=70681205

That one sat on the GOP senate leaders desk, and is still sitting there. Then the house passed the new one that Republicans demanded..and even then it looks like the president isnt on board. Despite his representative negotiating much of it.
May 15th. good Lord.

and how much of that 3T was going directly to individual citizens devastated by the pandemic?

Old 12-29-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
so if we get the $2,000, here is what will happen. Biden promises to void out the Trump tax break we got a year or so ago. that gave people like me $2,000 in tax break. so Biden will null and void the $2,000 covid stimulus check we will get this week or next.
precisely. except you had the tax break for 2018, 2019, 2020 (if you've maintained your employment like 9 out of 10 people), and 2021-2024 at least.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:56 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,472,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you really don't care about simple facts, do you?

all of the individual tax cuts - including the "rich" - expire in 2025.

Bush tax cuts expired, Obama extended them.

If Biden can "repeal" the Trump tax cut, then surely he can repeal the corporate tax rate cut. Right?
Corporate tax cuts are permanent.

That includes for the shell companies the rich like the Trumps use.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well that alien robot Loeffler (I swear she looked like one in the Fox clip I saw where she said she was in favor of it) is part of the Trump hivemind. She doesn't have a brain and just follows what Trump does.
you should reach out to Stacey Abrams. I bet she can figure out a way for such a well-informed D voter to get counted in the GA election.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
If it rained last Wednesday, I keep my eye on the forecast for the next ten days and keep my umbrella handy. ( Particularly if it was the tropical kind of rain. Yep.)
Or are you saying that Covid cases are going down everywhere across the country?

Why are you pretending that those additional morgue freezers are things of the past?

Too lazy to google it up, or trying to live in your "make-believe" world?

https://www.fox4news.com/news/tarran...covid-19-surge

https://whnt.com/news/northeast-alab...morgue-cooler/

https://www.businessinsider.com/el-p...-surge-2020-11

https://www.wjhl.com/local-coronavir...es-december-7/
I don't need to google anything beyond your choice of a 6 month old piece of evidence.

the first half of your answer is akin to saying "If it rained yesterday, and there's any chance of rain for the next 10 days, we should require everyone to carry umbrellas".

It's OK to disagree honestly on the issues. Just try to be honest about them.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Corporate tax cuts are permanent.

That includes for the shell companies the rich like the Trumps use.
your choice to neither admit your mistake (if not intentional misrepresentation) nor acknowledge that even a "permanent" tax cut can be changed are quite clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies